Shift Assist problem....

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
PatriotBMW

Shift Assist problem....

Post by PatriotBMW »

On my 2014 my gear shift pro is acting a fool on the 1-2 and 2-1 shifts but fine with all other shifts. When I shift down from 2nd it goes to 1st for a moment then jumps into neutral and sometimes when going from 1-2 it doesn't immediately shift the gear and then suddenly jumps forward when it does.  When I first got the bike I downshifted 2-1 and forgot to close the throttle and it slammed very hard when it did but that was 8k miles ago....I'm wondering if I bent something up inside the tranny/clutch when that happened and if it's just now acting up.  Does anyone else have experience with this?  Finding neutral is also very challenging at times.  All else is normal.
2014 R1200RT
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Shift Assist problem....

Post by richardbd »

Mine never really worked below 3rd.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Easy cure in those two gears.  Use the clutch, works much better.  I have never done anything else.
scunny1

Post by scunny1 »

I too have had the sudden jumps in 1st and second, never use pro shift now in those gears.
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

When I picked my 17 LC up they told its not recommended to shift from 1-2 or 2-1 without the clutch but every other gear is fine without.
Even saying that mine is far from smooth 1-2 and 2-1 even with the clutch
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

Yes.. this system is not yet perfected in first and second gears..all other gears up and down are ultra smooth especially after getting used to it.
Don't be afraid to give it a confident kick when down shifting with the throttle closed.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Blueboy
johnesherman

Post by johnesherman »

A little book learning and shifting review might help make the slots and dogs gear changes better? For example, I think you might like this book – "The Motorcycle Shifting Handbook: Learn the foundations of shifting. Discover the secrets of seamless clutch and clutchless shifting. Don't get a quick shifter be a quick shifter." by Stephon Frazier.

Start reading it for free: http://a.co/5dtltIy

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

John Sherman R1200RT Tacoma WA USA
Pete1200

Post by Pete1200 »

I have found that like the others change 1-2-1 with clutch rest are ok without. That said, with a little experimentation, on up changes the merest hint of slackening the throttle helps the change go through much more smoothly and conversely the very lightest of opening pressure, just "taking up the slack" VERY gently helps on down changes . I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has found this or finds it after experimenting.
May the road ever be your friend, from leaving home till journey's end.
johnesherman

Post by johnesherman »

Most of the time I will do clutchless 1-2 shift on my 2016 R1200RT (no shift assist on this bike) and a lot of the time I do the 2-1 shift clutchless. I think of the transmission with "slots" longer than the 'dogs" that must move into and out of these "slots"; therefore, using my throttle to relieve pressure on the dogs pressing against the end of slot allows me to do smooth up- and down-shift most of the time. You don't need much throttle blip to relieve pressure on dogs and move them into new slot higher or lower gear. But already preload shifter to sync blip and shift and do a follow through to make sure you don't end up with neutral instead of gear 1 or 2. It takes a little practice to get it right most of the time ;-)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

John Sherman R1200RT Tacoma WA USA
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Echoing the above, I find shift assist really clunky below 3rd going up, and into first going down. As RTman10 said, lower gears seem better using that clutch lever thingy :)