Alternative 'Northern Monkeys' June Meet 2017

Want to arrange a local meet or ride out with like minded people? Then please post about it in this section with all the details and dates.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Re: Alternative 'Northern Monkeys' June Meet 2017

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: That's OK with me, however, Mike may need a little more notice, he is 2 hours from Wetherby.
As I am a fairly early riser, I will be happy to post at any time (after 0630) if interested parties indicate the preference. Likewise people could indicate their opinions re the weather if there is a question.
Last edited by k9doc on Mon May 29, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

k9doc wrote:I will be happy to post at any time (after 0630) if interested parties indicate the preference.
Seems reasonable to me, just need to know what is the latest anyone would like to set off, to make Wetherby for a 10:30 departure.

As I'm less than an hour from Wetherby (route 1),  I'd be looking to leave home at around 09:00, allowing time for a P&T stop at Morrisons.
Last edited by David. on Mon May 29, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: Easy way to find a pinhole leak in your motorcycle tire, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wskeiycziZI

If the hole is as small as this, perhaps a vulcanised patch on the inside would be an alternative to making the hole bigger to fit a plug.
Thanks David. Excellent link enabled me to find a tiny pinhole with the help of the window spray.
As there is plenty of life in the tyre, (and I prefer to change as a pair),I decided to contact Warranty Assist rather than risk a bodge. A BMW technician is due to arrive 1hr 15 mins after my initial call. Will update with the outcome but so far so good and thanks again.
Chris
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

k9doc wrote: As I am a fairly early riser, I will be happy to post at any time (after 0630) if interested parties indicate the preference. Likewise people could indicate their opinions re the weather if there is a question.
Showers are fine. No fun if rain is continuous. We were planning to start out S.Cheshire 08:00 ish
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

k9doc wrote:Enabled me to find a tiny pinhole. I decided to contact Warranty Assist rather than risk a bodge. A BMW technician is due to arrive 1hr 15 mins after my initial call. Will update with the outcome.
From experience and as posted earlier, I certainly wouldn't be making the pinhole in the tyre bigger to fit any sort of plug/repair from the outside. IMO, this action will cause more damage to the tyre cords. For a professional job, the tyre should be removed from the wheel and a vulcanised patch fitted on the inside. The tyre will be as good as new.

Let's wait and see how professional BMW warranty assist are!
Last edited by David. on Mon May 29, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Mike wrote: Showers are fine. No fun if rain is continuous. We were planning to start out S.Cheshire 08:00 ish
Thanks for the info Mike. Will aim to post at ~0700-0730 unless otherwise advised.
Chris
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: From experience and as posted earlier, I certainly wouldn't be making the pinhole in the tyre bigger to fit any sort of plug/repair from the outside. IMO, this action will cause more damage to the tyre cords. For a professional job, the tyre should be removed from the wheel and a vulcanised patch fitted. The tyre will be as good as new.
Take your point, will see what the 'tech' has to say.

Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

k9doc wrote:As there is plenty of life in the tyre.
What make is the tyre?
k9doc wrote:Take your point, will see what the 'tech' has to say.
The proper way to patch a tire, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aJmpcXnc5U
Last edited by David. on Mon May 29, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Following on from some of the above posts re contacting interested parties.
In view of the current fiasco involving BA and the possibility of WIFI problems etc. What do people think about the idea of participants exchanging mobile #s with the 'event organiser(s)'. Gives a backup line of communication should the need arise.
Chris
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

k9doc wrote: Following on from some of the above posts re contacting interested parties.
In view of the current fiasco involving BA and the possibility of WIFI problems etc. What do people think about the idea of participants exchanging mobile #s with the 'event organiser(s)'. Gives a backup line of communication should the need arise.
+1
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

@David
Well the tech came and plugged the tyre. Told him what you said but he said that if done from the inside it would still be reamed and plugged. Didn't feel like arguing for once. He had to stress that it was a temporary repair. Funny thing is my mate had the same thing done at the roadside by another BMW tech who said the repair was good for the life of the tyre. The upshot is that I may decide to replace the tyres sooner than anticipated as on closer inspection, the wear indicators in the centre of the tyre are closer to the limit than at first appeared.

The tyres are Metzeler Z8

Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

k9doc wrote:What do people think about the idea of participants exchanging mobile #s with the 'event organiser(s)'.
A grand idea, k9doc (Chris) & I have already exchanged mobile numbers. If Chris is happy to be the contact for this event, that's fine with me.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: A grand idea, k9doc (Chris) & I have already exchanged mobile numbers. If Chris is happy to be the contact for this event, that's fine with me.
Fair enough by me.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

k9doc wrote:The upshot is that I may decide to replace the tyres sooner than anticipated as on closer inspection, the wear indicators in the centre of the tyre are closer to the limit than at first appeared.

The tyres are Metzeler Z8.
For many years and miles, I used Metzeler Z6's, they are a bit slick in the centre, similar to the Z8's.

ImageImage

Got caught out in Scotland, set off thinking I'd easily get the trip out of the tyres, only for the rear to end up like the Z8 in the photo below.
Neither tyre has a tread pattern across the centre to monitor wear, for this reason I switched to the original Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmarts.

ImageImage

What new tyres are you thinking of getting?
Last edited by David. on Mon May 29, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote:
What new tyres are you thinking of getting?
Avon Storm 2 Ultra.

Have used these tyres and their predecessors for years, Azarro, ST and have always had confidence (main consideration IMO) in both wet and dry. Never taken note of how long they last but they certainly do the job. Not the most popular choice I admit and probably not on the 'approved list'.
Chris