Helmet upgrade

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Helmet upgrade

Post by timminator »

Greetings all. I have decided to bite the bullet and upgrade my helmet, and also planning to put the actual BMW communicator kit in it.  Tired of messing with aftermarket BT kits that don't fully work with the bike.  I will still keep my Shoei with it's Scala kit for when I'm doing 2-up with the better half so we can communicate.  Most often I'm riding alone, so this will be my solo helmet.

Tried on several Schuberths at the dealership yesterday, seems to fit my head well.  Has anyone found the C4 or can attest to it's advantages over the C3Pro? The C4 is not yet available in the states, so debating whether I want to wait for it.  Could be a couple months away still.  Also, the dealer told me if I want to put the BMW kit in it, they highly recommend sending the helmet into Schuberth and allowing them to do it.  Costs about $100, but they guarantee the work.

Thoughts?
BMW MOA #210438
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Helmet upgrade

Post by Casbar »

I have read the sizing is different for the C4 over the C3 Pro. The C4 already has built in antenna, speakers and Mike. So if wanting comms the C4 kit is the obvious solution, which is now built by Senna. Didn't know you could fit BMW comms into it, but I suppose you can rip out the other stuff from the helmet, but would be a waste. The obvious answer is BME kit, BMW helmet.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I've had the Bmw system for 4 years now, has lots of limitations, biggest it only pairs with one other helmet
Schubert C4 is out this month along with there comm system(sena) pairs with multiple helmets, only down side you loose wiz wheel. I get the first white one that arrives at my local dealer, C3 has been great but I need a new one
Jim
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

It's not a difficult task to install BMW Communicator in a helmet, I even think there is a video on YouTube.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Seem to recall the BMW helmet is not available in the USA. Also recall the BT kit had a different part number from thr U.K. one and we thought it was designed for the Schubert.  These days however Schubert are not involved in BMW helmet production, so things might have changed. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

ItsOnlyMe wrote: It's not a difficult task to install BMW Communicator in a helmet, I even think there is a video on YouTube.

Its not difficult to install any BT system in a helmet, but the point is, the C4 has already got, ear phones, mic, and antenna built in, Now not sure if those bits can just plug into another BT system, if they can, then you could put any make on the side of the helmet like you can with the C3 Pro. If not, then its really forcing you down the C4 kit and thus, because i have invested in Scala Pactalk I suppose I will never be able to have a C4, unless I rip out the bits that are there  8)
timminator

Post by timminator »

Thanks for the replies all.  I did not realize the C4 came prepped for the Sena kit, that's a compelling reason to take a look at the Sena.  If the sound quality is good, I could give up the wonder-wheel functionality.  My frustration with Scala Q3 has been both sound quality and lack of WW support.

Regarding the installation, I have done it myself a few times as well, fairly simple.  Apparently with the combination of the BMW kit and Schuberth helmet, it is highly complex.  (This is what the dealer told me, I have no personal experience with either).  Apparently there is a youtube video detailing instructions, but it's over 40 minutes long.  yikes!

RTMan - I think you are right, I have never seen a BMW helmet at the dealership, they only carry Schuberths.
BMW MOA #210438
Twodog

Post by Twodog »

timminator wrote: Thanks for the replies all.  I did not realize the C4 came prepped for the Sena kit, that's a compelling reason to take a look at the Sena.  If the sound quality is good, I could give up the wonder-wheel functionality.  My frustration with Scala Q3 has been both sound quality and lack of WW support.

Regarding the installation, I have done it myself a few times as well, fairly simple.  Apparently with the combination of the BMW kit and Schuberth helmet, it is highly complex.  (This is what the dealer told me, I have no personal experience with either).  Apparently there is a youtube video detailing instructions, but it's over 40 minutes long.  yikes!

RTMan - I think you are right, I have never seen a BMW helmet at the dealership, they only carry Schuberths.

I'll be picking up a C4 today at a local store in Nuremberg, Motorad TAF.  749 euros.  The headset is totally integrated there's no boom mic.  It's completely hidden, very sleek.  You have to buy the 'battery pack'. Plugs into the left side, right side holds the comm device. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Son observe the time and fly from evil. Ecc.IV.23
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Twodog wrote: I'll be picking up a C4 today at a local store in Nuremberg, Motorad TAF. 749 euros. The headset is totally integrated there's no boom mic. It's completely hidden, very sleek. You have to buy the 'battery pack'. Plugs into the left side, right side holds the comm device.
That's some helmet !  And some price !!
Even more than I paid for a system 6 with BMW communicator and battery pack !  ;D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Twodog

Post by Twodog »

gogs01 wrote: That's some helmet !  And some price !!
Even more than I paid for a system 6 with BMW communicator and battery pack !  ;D

Agreed, 749 was the sticker price.  Cash price was 590 euros at Motorad TAF, still not cheap. You then need the S1 battery/pack communicator at either 199 or 299.  Plus I get the 19% VAT back at the airport, so it's more palatable.

Was originally going to look at the System 7 and BMW communicator.  Was told that it wasn't available here in Germany until July.  Doesn't make sense to release a product so late in the season. 

C4 won't be released in North America for several weeks still as even revzilla doesn't have it as yet.

Cheers,
Two.

richardbd

Post by richardbd »

I'm toying with a KTM 690 Duke as a second bike and I really like the look of that orange C4...

8) 8) 8)
GuzziRick

Post by GuzziRick »

I tried both the C4 and the C3Pro out last weekend, similar fit but the C4 suited my head shape a little better, still a 61 (XL) in both, the comms for the C4 just slots in and sounded great with music streaming from my iPhone, although I didn't get a chance to ride with it. Speaking to the dealer they now recommend a sena system for the C3Pro instead of the original system. The C3 sena system gives a 1 1/5 km bike to bike distance,  only 1km with the C4. He also believes the C3Pro maybe a little quieter on the road as Schuberth haven't released any official data as yet.
Sena also do a remote that clips on the bars for both systems.
Just got to convince myself I need to spend £800+ on a new system??
scunny1

Post by scunny1 »

Wow, and I thought my two  Arai helmets were expensive.
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
Twodog

Post by Twodog »

GuzziRick wrote: I tried both the C4 and the C3Pro out last weekend, similar fit but the C4 suited my head shape a little better, still a 61 (XL) in both, the comms for the C4 just slots in and sounded great with music streaming from my iPhone, although I didn't get a chance to ride with it. Speaking to the dealer they now recommend a sena system for the C3Pro instead of the original system. The C3 sena system gives a 1 1/5 km bike to bike distance,  only 1km with the C4. He also believes the C3Pro maybe a little quieter on the road as Schuberth haven't released any official data as yet.

Yea, not an easy pill to swallow.  Was reading the manual last night.  It stated that the SC1 will communicate with any Sena headset.

You can have an intercom conversation with non-Sena Bluetooth headsets using the Universal Intercom function. Non-Sena Bluetooth headsets can be connected to the Sena Bluetooth headset if they support the Bluetooth Hands-Free Pro le (HFP).

For group riding/talks.

Cheers
Two

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

GuzziRick wrote: I tried both the C4 and the C3Pro out last weekend, similar fit but the C4 suited my head shape a little better, still a 61 (XL) in both, the comms for the C4 just slots in and sounded great with music streaming from my iPhone, although I didn't get a chance to ride with it. Speaking to the dealer they now recommend a sena system for the C3Pro instead of the original system. The C3 sena system gives a 1 1/5 km bike to bike distance,  only 1km with the C4. He also believes the C3Pro maybe a little quieter on the road as Schuberth haven't released any official data as yet.

Of course Schuberth will push their own comms system, which is Sent. The old C3 Pro system was an old Scala system so similar to the old G9. Things have moved on massively now, so the new Sena system is based on the 20s. The Scala Pactalk which I have in my C3 Pro has exactly the same features as the Sena system except better bike to bike - upto 1 mile with a few riders, but if using the DMC bridge feature upto 5 miles with 5 or more riders upto 15 riders. There is no real difference in quality of sound either, having tried both. So its really down to which system you nail your colours too  8) . When I bought my Pactalk, Sena were having quality issues, but think all is good now. Of course if going for the C4 it would be hard to bin all the bits it comes with. But on the other hand, I want a comms system I can fit to different helmets, so a bespoke to one wouldn't work. So as it stands, if I want to change my C3 Pro, guess the C4 is not now an option