Windscreen stuck it up position

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Gazza64
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:00 am

Re: Windscreen stuck it up position

Post by Gazza64 »

Update
It was the switch
I have cleaned up and it worked ok
However it has stopped again this morning on my trip to supermarket


It is not a moisture issue has it is garaged and the humidity here in Spain is very low


I think I may have faulty switch looking at it though
It is not a cheap fix


Thanks for your help


I appreciate it very much
User avatar
David.
Subscriber
Posts: 8124
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 348 times
Great Britain

Re: Windscreen stuck it up position

Post by David. »

Gazza64 wrote:I think I may have faulty switch looking at it though. It is not a cheap fix.
Handlebar combination switches are covered under the BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty.

If you can fulfil the T&C's of the BMW MIW, (service history etc.),  a monthly policy can be purchased for circa. £34.17 p.m. with £100 excess.
The policy will be effective one month from the first payment, I do this for 7 months of the year.
Last edited by David. on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
richardbd
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:40 pm
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Windscreen stuck it up position

Post by richardbd »

David. wrote: Handlebar combination switches are covered under the BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty.

If you can fulfil the T&C's of the BMW MIW, (service history etc.), a monthly policy can be purchased for circa. £34.17 p.m. with £100 excess.
The policy will be effective one month from the first payment, I do this for 7 months of the year.

What happens f your bike breaks down in the other five months?
guest2360

Re: Windscreen stuck it up position

Post by guest2360 »

richardbd wrote:
What happens f your bike breaks down in the other five months?

Can't happen, it's locked away.
User avatar
richardbd
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:40 pm
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Windscreen stuck it up position

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote:
Can't happen, it's locked away.

I'm curious as to how the warranty provider knows that though.  Given that they are essentially just an insurer, how do they know and check that you don'y simply use the bike all year but only "insure/warranty" it when you need to make a claim?



User avatar
Levisp
Posts: 1114
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:57 pm

Re: Windscreen stuck it up position

Post by Levisp »

I guess David SORNs the bike and being a honest chap doesn't ride it without tax.
User avatar
richardbd
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:40 pm
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Windscreen stuck it up position

Post by richardbd »

Levisp wrote: I guess David SORNs the bike and being a honest chap doesn't ride it without tax.

I get that bit - I'm not for a moment suggesting he's cheating.  I'm just amazed that an insurance company would write a policy on that basis because the simple reality is that a problem could easily arise during the un-covered period that they would end up being liable for.


The only solution I can see is some kind of warranted mileage statement at the end and the start of each insurance/warranty period.


Think about it.  Why not just take the warranty to for one month a year and make sure everything that goes wrong does so in that one month?


I'm fairly sure that if I ran an insurance-warranty business, I wouldn't allow anything other than permanent cover...
User avatar
David.
Subscriber
Posts: 8124
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 348 times
Great Britain

Re: Windscreen stuck it up position

Post by David. »

"Renewal of Your BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty Monthly Policy

Unless your policy has been cancelled by us or you or has lapsed for any reason, each time you make a monthly payment when due your monthly policy will renew for a period of one month from when the payment is received by us."


https://www.allianz-assistance.co.uk/im ... 200616.pdf
guest2360

Re: Windscreen stuck it up position

Post by guest2360 »

David. wrote: "Renewal of Your BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty Monthly Policy

Unless your policy has been cancelled by us or you or has lapsed for any reason, each time you make a monthly payment when due your monthly policy will renew for a period of one month from when the payment is received by us."


https://www.allianz-assistance.co.uk/images/4094BMW%20Motorrad%20Warranty%200616.pdf

Very interesting.  However the beginning of the statement sounds ominously like an insurance get out to me.  Have you had any claims on a policy that has lapsed and then started again.  In theory all anybody needs to do then is when you need some big repair that would be covered by extended warranty is take one  out pay two instalments and then claim.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
David.
Subscriber
Posts: 8124
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 348 times
Great Britain

Re: Windscreen stuck it up position

Post by David. »

RTman10 wrote:Have you had any claims on a policy that has lapsed and then started again.
No.

The bike was purchased in Oct. 2014 with a 1 year Used Bike Warranty, that got me through until Oct. 2015 when the bike was tucked away for the Winter.
In March 2016, started a monthly Warranty which commenced on 1st April for 7 months until end of Oct., when the bike was tucked away again.
In March 2017, started a monthly Warranty which commenced on 1st April 2017, will pay it for 7 months again.
BMW Warranty Services are aware of this and haven't said that cover needs to be continuous.
I explained how I used the bike, and they agreed it was the correct thing to do under the circumstances.
RTman10 wrote:In theory all anybody needs to do then is when you need some big repair that would be covered by extended warranty is take one out pay two instalments and then claim.
It's worth a try.
guest2360

Re: Windscreen stuck it up position

Post by guest2360 »

I would think that if you tried to cover the bike again within the 12 months from when it was taken out it wouldn't be possible. All you sre doing is taking out a year's warranty  and paying monthly but only letting it run for 7 months.  OK I suppose if you never intend to,use the bike for the next 5 months.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
User avatar
k9doc
Posts: 746
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Chesterfield
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Windscreen stuck it up position

Post by k9doc »

My experience is that they always ask for the mileage when taking out the contract. Obviously they would compare this with the mileage at the time of the claim and asses if bike had been used. I suppose you could always lie.


My latest experience was a little strange.
Went online for a quote £371 or thereabouts.
Decided to make direct contact as I had a query re service history and was quoted £386 or thereabouts. Mentioned the 371 and he says there is no such quote. It's on your b website says I. Wait a minute says he...........................
Comes back with 371. What's the difference says I. 371 and cover starts in 1 month, 386 it starts today.
As it was a private purchase I paid the 386 for immediate cover. Never had the option before.
Chris
User avatar
David.
Subscriber
Posts: 8124
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 348 times
Great Britain

Re: Windscreen stuck it up position

Post by David. »

k9doc wrote:Comes back with 371. What's the difference says I. 371 and cover starts in 1 month, 386 it starts today.

As it was a private purchase I paid the 386 for immediate cover. Never had the option before.
That's a new one on me.

Because of the way I use my bike, I just pay on the 1st March each year by credit card, with the cover starting one month later, when I tax the bike.
Last edited by David. on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
k9doc
Posts: 746
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Chesterfield
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Windscreen stuck it up position

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: That's a new one on me.

Because of the way I use my bike, I just pay on the 1st March each year by credit card, with the cover starting one month later, when I tax the bike.

Just been onto them again as to date I have received no confirmation of purchase. Asked about the 371 v 386 and apparently it's something just started over the last  couple of months.
Chris
User avatar
David.
Subscriber
Posts: 8124
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 348 times
Great Britain

Re: Windscreen stuck it up position

Post by David. »

k9doc wrote:Asked about the 371 v 386 and apparently it's something just started over the last couple of months.
Thanks for the confirmation, I'll stick to paying a month in advance by credit card and save £15.

If you do buy a 12 month Warranty up front, it can be cancelled at a later date and you get a pro rata refund, less an admin. charge of £25.

For me, the most economical way is to pay per month for 7 months.
Last edited by David. on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply