Windscreen stuck it up position

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Windscreen stuck it up position

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote:
Got it in one.  It's a dead cert that any scheme you can think up to save a quid or two on warranty costs are only going to end up as no warranty.
My extended warranty last year costs £360.  Take off the price of Emergency Assistance and it brings it down to about £280.  Good value in my eyes if you look at at most things that might just go.

By and large I agree and I definitely wouldn't want to own a modern, electronics-laden bike with no warranty cover.  The only thing you have to be aware of with most of them is the way that (not unreasonably) the list of exclusions gradually gets longer as the bike gets older and/or has covered more miles...
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

What I find a little disconcerting is that the age of the bike and it's current mileage have no effect on the price of the warranty. I would have thought low mileage lessened the premium, but not so. Also when dealing over the phone, they ask the mileage but don't query service history unless specifically asked. That's left to reading the small print, likewise if you purchase on line. Happy to sell the Warranty without specifically checking eligibility seems a little sneaky to me.
Chris
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

k9doc wrote: What I find a little disconcerting is that the age of the bike and it's current mileage have no effect on the price of the warranty. I would have thought low mileage lessened the premium, but not so. Also when dealing over the phone, they ask the mileage but don't query service history unless specifically asked. That's left to reading the small print, likewise if you purchase on line. Happy to sell the Warranty without specifically checking eligibility seems a little sneaky to me.

But it's when or if you need to claim you will have to show its history.  As for mileage effecting the premium so far as I know the rate stays the same right up to the limit of 80,000 or 8 years.  It doesn't increase as the risk of making a claim obviously gets greater with age. 
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

RTman10 wrote:
But it's when or if you need to claim you will have to show its history. 
That's why I think it's a bit sneaky as they then have the opportunity to dodge the claim if the history isn't up to speed.
Chris
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

RTman10 wrote:   As for mileage effecting the premium so far as I know the rate stays the same right up to the limit of 80,000 or 8 years.  It doesn't increase as the risk of making a claim obviously gets greater with age.
That I understand and see the merit but it's a glass half empty or full situation. I suppose it's a good deal if you consider £370-390 a sensible starting point and as you say including European recovery, it doesn't seem OTT and the average bod would be able to get that cover on a bike upto probably 8-10 years old.
Chris