Canbus Connector Location

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Kenkeni53

Canbus Connector Location

Post by Kenkeni53 »

I'm looking to install the EZ Hexcan device on my '16 RT, to add some fender mounted aux lighting. I need some help confirming the location of the canbus connector. in the attached photo is the red screwdriver pointing to the connector.  if not tell me what to do.  I'm not the most technically savvy rider.  thanks
Attachments
IMG_0192.JPG
IMG_0191.JPG
LAF

Re: Canbus Connector Location

Post by LAF »

You need to remove the rear silver plastic plate to expose the RDC unit on a RT.  Now if you have small hands and know how the plug is oriented you can just loosen the screws and do it but my advice is go through the hassle of pulling the silver plate.

The GS is sits right there as their install video shows.  On the RT it it is further back. 

The screwdriver is pointed to fuses.  I have head others have tapped these for switched 12 volt.  I used the rear Aux. plug as I never use it anyway.

Hot and Negative to battery, switched 12 volt and getting that darn plug in under the silver plate and it is done.
Kenkeni53

Post by Kenkeni53 »

thanks, i'm planning on getting this done over the weekend.  this is a big help.  thanks again.
LC cool

Post by LC cool »

Hi hope this helps, Can bus connector on my 2014 RT is under the rear rack to the left hand side with the GREEN wire connected to my HEX ezCan.
Attachments
IMG_1498.JPG
IMG_1499.JPG
LC cool

Post by LC cool »

PS you do not have to remove the silver tray just the pillion seat go to the web site http://hexezcan.com it is very easy to install and set up.
Kenkeni53

Post by Kenkeni53 »

Does help quite a bit.  Thanks.  I've got the the panels off and have ID'd the unit.  Just waiting for the Hexcan and Denali D2's to arrive.  Planning on getting it done over the weekend. 
Taz

Post by Taz »

A point to remember is that if you disconnect the battery (always recommended) then the clock will reset to zero and this will prompt the service indicator to come on. Just reset the clock and the service indicator will go out.  Well that's what happened to me and the reset worked.be
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
LAF

Post by LAF »

LC cool wrote: PS you do not have to remove the silver tray just the pillion seat go to the web site https://hexezcan.com it is very easy to install and set up.
Again that is a GS they are showing not a RT.  The RDC unit not accessed the same on a RT and a GS.  If you have one and use one on a RT you would know that for sure.

I could not get the plug without loosening the screws to the silver plate.

I been running this since they became available so pretty familiar with it.
LAF

Post by LAF »

LC Cool shows the location perfect.
Like I said I could not get under there with fat hands. It is those two black screws in his picture and I believe the rest is just snap in tabs to remove the silver cover. Then you can work on it a bit easier. It is not a big deal to take the silver cover off. I also tucked most of the ezCAN leads into that area, running all my wires back to there, leaving just the head unit exposed to use the setup and control software. I have a FZ1 Fuze Block under the rear seat also. If you want a pic I will snap one.
Edit: If you go to a site that has parts break down you can see how that silver plate comes off. It is very simple just make sure it is a little warm outside as plastic always works better when warm.  I still think I took my whole rack off to lay the wires in nicely.  All my wire runs are in covers and shrink wrapped at the ends just as the ezCAN wiring is done.  Wish I was closer we would get it done in no time.
Last edited by LAF on Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.