Horn fitment to a 2014 RTP

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

Re: Horn fitment to a 2014 RTP

Post by guest2360 »

Benchmark wrote: Neither do the UK, it's how the current authority bikes are supplied by BMW.

You won't be able to use the horn button as there is no power to or from it, when you get to look at the wiring to the switchgear you will notice there are not enough wires for all the functions, that is because BMW uses a Linbus which sends data to a central controller which turns devices on and off as required.  This is why also there are no fuses as the same controller monitors current draw and if the current exceeds the preset limit for that circuit it automatically turns it off and re-tries the next time the bike is switched on.

So I think you have 2 options.

1. get BMW to re-enable the original horn circuit
2. fit a supplementary switch for the horn

I think his option will have to be No 2.  If there are no wires to the horn button the function is not part of the bikes wiring harness and being Linbus you can't cut into that or enable something that was never there. .
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heino

Post by Heino »

Thanks mate, this makes sense. The mechanic told me he can't find the fuse box, and this is exactly what you are saying. I will take it to BMW for a reset. Want to do it right.
Boxer man
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Heino wrote: Thanks mate, this makes sense. The mechanic told me he can't find the fuse box, and this is exactly what you are saying. I will take it to BMW for a reset. Want to do it right.

Let us know how you get on.  I'm nearly sure though you are going to have to install a complete system from battery to button to horn. Your mechanic is obviously not familiar with Linbus systems. It would be advisable to warn him that interference with it can lead to disaster
Heino

Post by Heino »

Update - BMW could not re-enable the original civilian configuration.

Unfortunately, I had to fit a separate switch with direct wiring.

If some-one figures out how to enable the BMW wiring, I would like the original horn button to be working. Will then take off the manual horn switch.

Thanks for your inputs.

BTW, what is this Linux system, is it like a program on the computer's hard drive or more like a circuit board. If its the latter, obviously a programming reset won't change the wiring routes.
Boxer man
grisopaul

Post by grisopaul »

Might be a stupid question, could you replace siren unit with a horn then you would be able to use the existing button and get a horn noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk