Emergency key for keyless

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
gogs01

Emergency key for keyless

Post by gogs01 »

As anyone who has or has had a BMW with "keyless ride" will know, the bike is supplied with a remote fob for normal use and a small plastic-looking emergency key.
I don't know how, but I've managed to lose the emergency key. :'( No problem, as long as I don't lose the fob or it goes faulty.
Anybody know how easy / difficult it is to obtain a replacement and what it might cost ? I would ask my local dealer but I'm off to Spain tomorrow, so that will have to wait until I get back.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Emergency key for keyless

Post by T6pilot »

Your dealer should be able to order from the mother ship, be aware that in the US at least you must supply your drivers license and registration along with VIN number before it can be ordered. I ordered a spare non chipped key to assist with seat and top case, afraid of breaking plastic keyless fob, it took 10 days and $20 to receive key
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

T6pilot wrote: Your dealer should be able to order from the mother ship, be aware that in the US at least you must supply your drivers license and registration along with VIN number before it can be ordered. I ordered a spare non chipped key to assist with seat and top case, afraid of breaking plastic keyless fob, it took 10 days and $20 to receive key

Has your fod not got a steel flip,out key for all the locks. 
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Yes the fob, has a flip out key, several riders have reported breaking there fob trying to unlock seat and or non electric top case,
Jim
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

T6pilot wrote: Yes the fob, has a flip out key, several riders have reported breaking there fob trying to unlock seat and or non electric top case,

I ordered an additional key for my keyless Multistrada and keyless GS, not chipped or anything, just to use for luggage, seat and satnav bracket.  Means no need to keep fishing for fob when I stop and no risk of snapping the key in the fob.  Cost about £20 from memory...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Umm.  Yet another reason not to opt for keyless.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Umm.  Yet another reason not to opt for keyless.

To be fair, my RT had central locking and a remote alarm, so the only think keyless would have added was ignition and fuel cap.

I'm still totally unconvinced about keyless, despite having had it twice!
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

War babies, welcome to the modern world and enjoy it before your time on this plant comes to an end 😊

Which for some of us is more likely to be soon than others.

If you can afford it why not try it, if you had a bad experience don't get it again unless it standard on the bike.

Love the concept of key less and I love it.
Last edited by GJ-MOTO on Mon May 01, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GJ-MOTO
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It came as standard on a 1600 Exclusive I had and the system stranded me twice when the battery went flat and there was no way to unlock the bars.  My LC came with a proper key and I find it much better.  As Richard points out if you have central locking and an alarm all you are gaining is keyless ignition/steering lock and the fuel cap.  And having been stolen from the 1600 it doesn't fit neatly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon May 01, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

RTman10 wrote: It came as standard on a 1600 Exclusive I had and the system stranded me twice when the battery went flat and there was no way to unlock the bars.  My LC came with a proper key and I find it much better.  As Richard points out if you have central locking and an alarm all you are gaining is keyless ignition/steering lock and the fuel cap.  And having been stolen from the 1600 it doesn't fit neatly.

Carrying the emergency key would allow the bike to be ridden without an operational fob and that is why I would have preferred not to lose it just before setting off on a 19 day trip.
If I still can't find it when I get home, I have to decide whether to order an emergency key or a second fob, chipped or un-chipped.
Other than this issue with my own carelessness, I've no complaints with keyless so far - I find it quite convenient.
bikerdog
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LC
Great Britain

Post by bikerdog »

Not sure what the plastic key costs but the main key is £160 plus vat
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

When speccing up my RT I asked the dealer about a simple scenario. I go camping and park the bike outside the tent, within 2 meters of me and go to sleep with the remote in the tent with me. He looked thoughtful for a moment then suggested that I really didn't need keyless. I agreed.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Paggers wrote: When speccing up my RT I asked the dealer about a simple scenario. I go camping and park the bike outside the tent, within 2 meters of me and go to sleep with the remote in the tent with me. He looked thoughtful for a moment then suggested that I really didn't need keyless. I agreed.

I think the range of the fod for the keyless ignition is under 1m.
Si_Burnout
Belgium

Post by Si_Burnout »

RTman10 wrote:
I think the range of the fod for the keyless ignition is under 1m.

It is, if I take something out of the topcase then it's already out of range.
Live to ride and ride to live.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Paggers wrote: When speccing up my RT I asked the dealer about a simple scenario. I go camping and park the bike outside the tent, within 2 meters of me and go to sleep with the remote in the tent with me. He looked thoughtful for a moment then suggested that I really didn't need keyless. I agreed.
Emergency key  =  £36+vat  =  £42.20

I don't have any problem with people preferring a conventional ignition key, but I find the keyless convenient and, so far, have had no issues with it.