High octane fuel - worth the extra for the LC?

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Re: High octane fuel - worth the extra for the LC?

Post by smileymiley »

richardbd wrote:

Next somebody will start a rumour about horse meat in beef burgers...
You're crazy 😯 That'll never happen 😨
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
LAF

Post by LAF »

This is what my Owners Manual says

Recommended fuel quality
Super unleaded (max. 10 % ethanol, E10)
89 AKI (95 ROZ/RON)
89 AKI

So it is recommended the preferred gas is Super Unleaded.

If not available 89 will work.

wbrenner

Post by wbrenner »

Hello LAF,

I have 2016 R1200RT, and I verify what you are seeing on the back cover of the owner's manual.  But not agreeing on your interpretation.  The recommended PON/AKI is 89.  Those three lines that you are seeing are all describing the same fuel.  I contacted BMW, and verified that is true.

It has been my thought that using a higher octane fuel could slightly reduce performance, since it is more resistant to combustion to resist knocking.  I could not find much on the internet to validate that, but the internet is big thing, and I did find a few with that opinion.  On hotter than average summer days, I give in to temptation and put in a higher octane fuel, but I don't know that I am receiving any benefit from that.  Have noticed that my fuel mileage has dropped some during the summer, but have not yet determined if fuel was any factor in that. Maybe I am just having more fun.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I'm fairly sure I posted this up somewhere else but I'll repeat it here. Having been a long-time user of supermarket petrol I switched 'temporarily' to branded fuel due to a really good introductory deal at a new petrol station on my route to work. The result was an increase of around 10% (on a good day it's more) in my fuel economy. No difference in performance otherwise but given that the supermarket fuel is not 10% cheaper than the branded fuel I made the decision to stick with branded. I'm now getting 62-65 mpg out of the bike on a run compared with 57 mpg previously.

So clearly those additives do make a difference somewhere along the way.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
rglassma

Post by rglassma »

Wow, that is some great gas mileage.  Here in Colorado, USA, octane level for premium is 91, regular is 85.  I usually use 91 at about 50 - 54 mpg.  I have gotten 60 when I am riding downhill from up to 14,000 feet to about 8000.  But, that is very,very seldom.  Usually I see about 51 - 52 mpg with normal riding.
SweRT

Post by SweRT »

Worth taking in your comparison! UK Mpg Vs US Mpg
[attachimg=1]
SweRT

Post by SweRT »

[attachimg=1]
Attachments
Skärmklipp.JPG