High octane fuel - worth the extra for the LC?

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
LAF

Re: High octane fuel - worth the extra for the LC?

Post by LAF »

Benchmark wrote: Had we been talking about the previous model it would of been a different answer as BMW recommended RON98 and RON95 at reduced power. As it's no longer in the manual I very much doubt the bike is configured to take advantage of the higher rating.

[attachimg=1]
This is from the EU Owners Manual correct?

I borrowed this and added quotes as this helped me understand the world look and math on gas.

"Here is the formula with proper parenthetical inclusion:
AKI = (RON + MON)/2
Let's start with the most liberal octane for MON = 8 octane below RON

(95 + (95-8))/2 = (95 + 87)/2 = 182/2 = 91 AKI
So,... that's as if the fuel in the MON test had the MOST octane in it.

Let's do the math as if the MON were conservative, or 12 octane below RON.

(95 + (95-12))/2 = (95+ 83)/2 = 178/2 = 89 AKI"

guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

LAF wrote: This is from the EU Owners Manual correct?

I borrowed this and added quotes as this helped me understand the world look and math on gas.

AKI = (RON + MON)/2

Yes that's from the UK manual on my previous 2010 R1200RT

Here has a chart showing some fuels and their respective ratings in RON, MON and AKI

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

LAF wrote: This is from the EU Owners Manual correct?

AKI = (RON + MON)/2

And your handbook shows what?

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Does Europe Have Higher Octane Gas? RON vs MON vs AKI, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf-OYXlhJis
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

David. wrote: BP must be better, BMW recommend it.

Does it come with a BMW badge on it?
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

It's not just about RON etc though is it? In UK there have been problems with some supermarket fuels, including compensation claims for ruined engines. The Telegraph Motoring correspondent 'Honest John' is a big fan of using good quality fuels such as BP Ultimate and Shell V Power but doesn't claim they produce more power, rather that they have additives and detergents in them which clean the engine internals (if used regularly) and will make it more fuel efficient and reduce emissions. At Goodwood Festival of Speed BP have a display including a KTM v-twin that has been modified so that one cylinder runs on supermarket fuel and the other on BP Ultimate. Each cylinder has a boroscope in the cylinder head so you can actually see what's happening, guess what the BP cylinder is totally clean while the other is noticeably coked up!
Obviously it's your choice but having spent the most I'll ever spend ( on a new RT) I prefer to buy the best fuel for it. My choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

B787MECH wrote: It's not just about RON etc though is it? In UK there have been problems with some supermarket fuels, including compensation claims for ruined engines. The Telegraph Motoring correspondent 'Honest John' is a big fan of using good quality fuels such as BP Ultimate and Shell V Power but doesn't claim they produce more power, rather that they have additives and detergents in them which clean the engine internals (if used regularly) and will make it more fuel efficient and reduce emissions. At Goodwood Festival of Speed BP have a display including a KTM v-twin that has been modified so that one cylinder runs on supermarket fuel and the other on BP Ultimate. Each cylinder has a boroscope in the cylinder head so you can actually see what's happening, guess what the BP cylinder is totally clean while the other is noticeably coked up!
Obviously it's your choice but having spent the most I'll ever spend ( on a new RT) I prefer to buy the best fuel for it. My choice.

Good insight. I do know that all fuel is not equal and even fuel from the same refineries have additives put in, depending on where the fuel is going. So I tend to use only branded fuel stations, shell actually, because i get avois points :) So my question is, if you have been using standard unleaded for x thousands of miles, I guess changing now, would not help :)
vx5r

Post by vx5r »

I have tried a lower octane fuel when Premium was not available for both my K1300S and R1200RTw.  The fuel mileage drops about 10% due to the useless alcohol in the blend.  I did not see any change in the bike otherwise.  I don't horse it in general.  Usually look for non-alcohol Premium. Have always tracked the mileage and service for my records, so have a history to refer to.
B787MECH
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Casbar wrote:
Good insight. I do know that all fuel is not equal and even fuel from the same refineries have additives put in, depending on where the fuel is going. So I tend to use only branded fuel stations, shell actually, because i get avois points :) So my question is, if you have been using standard unleaded for x thousands of miles, I guess changing now, would not help :)
On the contrary, switching to fuel with high detergent content will clean the internals but might not make a noticeable difference to the power. With cars, it's a good idea to fill them with V Power or equivalent and give them a good thrash before going for the MOT as it can help with the emissions test.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I find it difficult to believe that supermarkets are selling sub standard fuel and if you continually use it you will end up with a choked up engine.  The days of decokeing your engine came to an end many years ago. It's all hype to empty your wallet that much quicker.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: I find it difficult to believe that supermarkets are selling sub standard fuel and if you continually use it you will end up with a choked up engine.  The days of decokeing your engine came to an end many years ago. It's all hype to empty your wallet that much quicker.

Don't think its sub standard per say, as they all meet the same specs. But different companies put in different additives after they fill their tankers up. I know its the old story I met a bloke once blah blah, but in my Harley days we had a club member who was a tanker driver and he said the supermarket stuff is different in respect of detergents and additives. It could be an old wives tale of course, but I never put supermarket fuel in my bike, but I do with the car :)

Here you go - not scientific - http://www.autofuelfix.com/blog/superma ... difference
Last edited by Casbar on Fri May 05, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Wife says, "how many Tesco points did you get".  More important than additives here.
B787MECH
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

RTman10 wrote: Wife says, "how many Tesco points did you get".  More important than additives here.
I get triple Nectar points at BP! And my injectors are cleaner than yours! Lol.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I believe you.  But Tesco,points are worth more, apparently.

richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: I find it difficult to believe that supermarkets are selling sub standard fuel and if you continually use it you will end up with a choked up engine.  The days of decokeing your engine came to an end many years ago. It's all hype to empty your wallet that much quicker.

I agree.

Next somebody will start a rumour about horse meat in beef burgers...