Top end engine rattle on start up when warm.

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
mentalrental

Top end engine rattle on start up when warm.

Post by mentalrental »

Hi. 2006 RT with 25000 miles starts without any problem with no undue noise from cold but on restarting whilst the engine is warm/hot you often get a very brief top end rattle. Its gone in a matter of a second or two. I wonder if this is common. Engine oil and level is good.
guest2360

Re: Top end engine rattle on start up when warm.

Post by guest2360 »

mentalrental wrote: Hi. 2006 RT with 25000 miles starts without any problem with no undue noise from cold but on restarting whilst the engine is warm/hot you often get a very brief top end rattle. Its gone in a matter of a second or two. I wonder if this is common. Engine oil and level is good.

Just a possibility.  If it's been parked on its side stand when hot, it might just be the hot oil has drained  out of  the right head.  Obviously quickly replaced when you start up.  If on the other hand you put it on the centre stand when it's put away and allowed to go cold oil will stay in equal quantities both sides and along with it being a bit thicker result in no noise.
Duggie

Post by Duggie »

To some degree I think that model produced rattles of one type or another, mine would have a similar rattle to yours after starting from cold, 20 secs a brief cam chain type noise would occur, lasted a fraction of a sec and not to be heard again, just keep an eye on the oil level

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Duggie wrote: To some degree I think that model produced rattles of one type or another, mine would have a similar rattle to yours after starting from cold, 20 secs a brief cam chain type noise would occur, lasted a fraction of a sec and not to be heard again, just keep an eye on the oil level

That is classic cam chain tensioner rattle.