Engine rattle.

Technical aspects and performance of the BMW R1200RT/1250 RT
mentalrental

Engine rattle.

Post by mentalrental »

Apologies as I may have already posted this all be it the wrong section.
2006 RT with 25000 miles starts from cold with no problem or undue noise but when warm/hot you get a very brief top end rattle from start up. Its gone in a second or two and I wondered if this is common or should I be concerned. Oil level and quality is good.
Thanks.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Engine rattle.

Post by David. »

If it's ok on start up from cold, but when warm/hot it rattles, the problem could be related to the oil viscosity.

Know someone who has a 2007 GS, he suspected the camchain tensioner(s) may need replacing.
He did some research (Google) and came up with the idea of using 10W/60 engine oil, it solved/masked the problem.

What viscosity oil is being used in the 2006 RT.
mentalrental

Post by mentalrental »

Thanks for the response. The bike was serviced by a dealer 3000 miles prior to my purchase, I've only covered around 1000 miles since. I would assume the recommended oil was used but did think, for the summer months at least, that a slightly thicker oil may be in order. It will interesting to hear what the general views are. Thanks.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You are getting two lots of suggestions as you have posted the question twice. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

mentalrental wrote:The bike was serviced by a dealer 3000 miles prior to my purchase.
In 2006, the dealers were using 20W/50 mineral oil, in 2009, they switched to 10W/50 fully synthetic. The oil spec. has now been downgraded to 15W/50 part synthetic.

What oil did the dealers use? The LC's use 5W/40, might be worth checking what they put in.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The guy with the 2007 GS used Castrol Edge 10W/60 and said,

"The extra viscosity means it doesn't drain out of the camchain tensioner so it doesn't clatter on start up."
mentalrental

Post by mentalrental »

I did read up on the cam chain guides and tensioners and was wondering if that was the cause. To be sure I will change the oil and filter using a 10/60w and get back with the results.
Thanks.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

mentalrental wrote:To be sure I will change the oil and filter using a 10/60w and get back with the results.
On the 2007 GS, the guy supplied the oil & filter, I changed them for him, he went away as a "happy bunny", without any rattle on start up.

Are you heading somewhere hot in June.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

David. wrote: The guy with the 2007 GS used Castrol Edge 10W/60 and said,

"The extra viscosity means it doesn't drain out of the camchain tensioner so it doesn't clatter on start up."

I wouldn't do that.  Cam chain noise happens on a cold engine when the bike has been stood for some time.  Very noisy to on start up then slowly dying away.  Noise is from the front centre low down, not the symptoms you seem to have.  If the bike was serviced by a dealer it will have 15/15 in it which should be used all year round.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Copied from your other post.Just a possibility.  If it's been parked on its side stand when hot, it might just be the hot oil has drained  out of  the right head.  Obviously quickly replaced when you start up.  If on the other hand you put it on the centre stand when it's put away and allowed to go cold oil will stay in equal quantities both sides and along with it being a bit thicker result in no noise.
mentalrental

Post by mentalrental »

I will have to experiment as the 'side stand' comment could carry some weight here. As each time this occurs is when the bike has been on the side stand for a short while. I will on the next run out leave her on the main stand for a short period.
I have a run to Scotland from here in not so sunny Essex. I am hoping for at least a few degrees improvement by early June otherwise wife is going to give me grief she not good with frost bite and I'm not to keen on stopping every 50 miles so she can get warm. Thanks for all the help. Being a plant fitter by trade unhealthy engine noise makes me uneasy especially with an engine I'm not familiar with.