Pannier liners/inner bags?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Eddiex
Great Britain

Pannier liners/inner bags?

Post by Eddiex »

I would like a set of these and am considering purchasing some original bags for my LC however I see there are a few non original ones on eBay. I can't help thinking they might not be as good as the originals but has anyone bought some non BMW ones and have found them to be any good?

As a long shot, has anyone got any for sale (strange question I know, but there may be some peeps who are considering moving over the the dark side (GS, etc!!)

Thanks
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: Pannier liners/inner bags?

Post by Steve F »

I use Hein Gericke pannier inner bags plus a larger HG one for the 49 litre top box. Not a super snug fit, but perfectly adequate at a fraction of the OEM price !👍😀
Badabing

Post by Badabing »

I have the genuine BMW pannier and top box liner which are great quality, however I always use the far cheaper Kathys design non original bags. The genuine bags top load where the others have a zip around one side which makes them far easier to pack and get to the bits you need. Just my opinion
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The OEM LC liners have a zip round the edge .  The top or centre type ones do not fit the LC panniers well and are designed for the older panniers.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Kathy's Journey Designs are an excellent alternative to the BMW ones - and about 1/3 the price.

I had BMW ones on my RTLC but use KJDs for my GS.

Are they as good?  No.

Are they good enough?  Yes.

T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

+1 on the Kathy's bags, mine have held up for 5 years, quality at a great price
Jim
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I have a Cee Baileys set for the side panniers.

They open at the side, so there is easy access.  I was impressed with the quality, and fit of them.

Caveat:  I have the 2010 model - so please check if the pannier design has changed!  However the fabric & build quality should not change that much!
Best regards, Sleuth
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I have used a pair of "Mane Event" bags for about 8 years and in 2 RTs and have been very pleased. Shaped to fit the RT panniers and with all round zips on both inner and outer faces together with a handy "expansion" zip. Can't remember the price now as it was so long ago we bought them but definately very cheap. Excellent light weight construction and all zips still work fine. Shoulder straps for carrying around. Made in the UK and I do believe they are still available but a google search will confirm.
tony23

Post by tony23 »

I use these. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R1200RT-K ... xyXB5SNzd3

Ive used them for 6 years on 2 rt`s and 2 K1600`s and now on my new RT. They fit well ,don`t take up unneccessary spcace and hold a good amount. Used to have a set of BMW ones but found they were too rigid and wasted a lot of room inside the paniers.I also have the topbox bag which works just as well.
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

stayingupright wrote: +1
+2 I used them on my K1200GT, K1300GT and now use them on the RT LC.  Not made to measure but they work fine.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Same here.  Must have had them for 12 years plus and still like new.  Not made for the LC but fit just fine. 
Eddiex
Great Britain

Post by Eddiex »

Thanks for the replies - that's just what I needed to know!

I had decided to get a pair of original BMW bags but, having reviewed the ones suggested, I'm not so sure. Nice to have the choice of different price points as well.

The KJD's are quiet appealing as they have that little recess bag attached on the inner surface of the bag which is clever,  although I have seen the thread elsewhere with the clever 'magazine netting/pocket' idea!

Decisions, decisions......................!
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

I use sport direct small duffel bags at £13. Yes they don't fully fill pannier but that leaves room for spare gloves/waterproofs etc in old helmet bags, which I prefer to keep separate.
GuzziRick

Post by GuzziRick »

Sprintgull wrote: +2 I used them on my K1200GT, K1300GT and now use them on the RT LC.  Not made to measure but they work fine.

+3 I've used these just about every weekday for the last year great bags zips both sides make them easy to get what you need without taking everything out.