Pannier liners/inner bags?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
feetup
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:11 pm

Re: Pannier liners/inner bags?

Post by feetup »

As the OP first post, I have went from RT LC to GSA LC.
I do have the original BMW side pannier bags for the LC.
In my experience the correct bag for the shape of the pannier makes things so much easier.
I have had 2 twin cam RTs and the LC, so I tried the old bags in the LC, yes it fits as long as you don't pack them to tight.  However when you carry a passenger, you need all the room you can get.

So I will be selling my 2 side BMW pannier bags for the RT LC (£70 +postage), They are like brand new bags, however there is no shoulder straps with the bags (they have been lost).

Jim
User avatar
David.
Subscriber
Posts: 8089
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 341 times
Great Britain

Re: Pannier liners/inner bags?

Post by David. »

feetup wrote:I have had 2 twin cam RTs and the LC, so I tried the old bags in the LC, yes it fits as long as you don't pack them to tight.
Are the Twin Cam panniers larger than those on the LC, or just a different shape.
guest2360

Re: Pannier liners/inner bags?

Post by guest2360 »

David. wrote: Are the Twin Cam panniers larger than those on the LC, or just a different shape.

Different shaped pannier so different shape liner but don't think there is much if any difference in capacity.  The Twin Cam ones suffer from only having one zip down the middle and being over stiff in construction.  The LC ones are an exact fit with a handy zipped compartment in the opening lid side.
User avatar
Österdahl
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:04 am

Re: Pannier liners/inner bags?

Post by Österdahl »

Thank You for the tip on these bags!
Placed an order for them yesterday on eBay uk!



Everything gets better in the end. If it's not better, it's not quite the end.
User avatar
kiki
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 2:45 pm

Re: Pannier liners/inner bags?

Post by kiki »

FOr those interested, RKA makes custom colored designs to match your bike.

http://www.rka-luggage.com/A06%20Liners ... 02014.html

User avatar
Sprintgull
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:41 pm

Re: Pannier liners/inner bags?

Post by Sprintgull »

Slightly going against the grain here, but I find using the old style bags in the new (LC) style pannier helps a bit because it leaves a few nook and crannies around the outside for things that you want to leave on the bike.  Small tools, oil, that sort of stuff.
Eddiex
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:21 pm
Great Britain

Re: Pannier liners/inner bags?

Post by Eddiex »

feetup wrote: As the OP first post, I have went from RT LC to GSA LC.
I do have the original BMW side pannier bags for the LC.
In my experience the correct bag for the shape of the pannier makes things so much easier.
I have had 2 twin cam RTs and the LC, so I tried the old bags in the LC, yes it fits as long as you don't pack them to tight.  However when you carry a passenger, you need all the room you can get.

So I will be selling my 2 side BMW pannier bags for the RT LC (£70 +postage),They are like brand new bags, however there is no shoulder straps with the bags (they have been lost).

Jim

I've sent you a PM!
User avatar
Österdahl
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:04 am

Re: Pannier liners/inner bags?

Post by Österdahl »

tony23 wrote: I use these. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R1200RT-K1200GT-K1300GT-PANNIER-LINER-BAGS-EXPANDABLE-/222484144036?hash=item33cd169fa4:g:UUEAAOxyXB5SNzd3

Ive used them for 6 years on 2 rt`s and 2 K1600`s and now on my new RT. They fit well ,don`t take up unneccessary spcace and hold a good amount. Used to have a set of BMW ones but found they were too rigid and wasted a lot of room inside the paniers.I also have the topbox bag which works just as well.

Question.
I have just received these bags and it looks like two bags for the left pannier?
What I mean is that in the right pannier the inner bag´s outside zipper have to be inside the pannier.
Should it be this way? I have contacted the seller and he says this i correct, but to me it seems very strange?
What does Your inner bags look like? the same?
//Leif








Attachments
image1.JPG
Last edited by Österdahl on Mon May 15, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything gets better in the end. If it's not better, it's not quite the end.
simbo
Posts: 1387
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:33 pm
Location: Greater Manchester
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 101 times
Great Britain

Re: Pannier liners/inner bags?

Post by simbo »

Österdahl wrote:
Question.
I have just received these bags and it looks like two bags for the left pannier?
What I mean is that in the right pannier the inner bag´s outside zipper have to be inside the pannier.
Should it be this way? I have contacted the seller and he says this i correct, but to me it seems very strange?
What does Your inner bags look like? the same?
//Leif

Mine are the same as your's, You should be able to enter the bag by zip on either side, but only one side is expanding.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
User avatar
Österdahl
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:04 am

Re: Pannier liners/inner bags?

Post by Österdahl »

Thank You for the info.
I can get into the bags by zipper om both sides, but I can only use the outside little zipperpocket on the left side when the bags are in the panniers.
Everything gets better in the end. If it's not better, it's not quite the end.
GuzziRick
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:30 pm

Re: Pannier liners/inner bags?

Post by GuzziRick »

Österdahl wrote: Thank You for the info.
I can get into the bags by zipper om both sides, but I can only use the outside little zipperpocket on the left side when the bags are in the panniers.

I have the same bags and have the same issue, it's ok if the bags aren't full as they will fit in the panniers either way. If they are full one side has to have the zipped pocket on the inside. A small price to pay for the difference in price with other available.
User avatar
Österdahl
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:04 am

Re: Pannier liners/inner bags?

Post by Österdahl »

Yes I agree. It´s a small price to pay for the small price tag.
The practical problem is minimal.
It is all in my head, I would have felt better if the bags had the same look/function on both sides... Maybe I´m a bit autistic in that way.
:alas:
Everything gets better in the end. If it's not better, it's not quite the end.
User avatar
spqrxxvi
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:42 am

Re: Pannier liners/inner bags?

Post by spqrxxvi »

Hi all, i am new here and new to posting questions on the internet, this is my first! I have just bought a 2011 RT and am looking for pannier liners/inner bags for it. I see in the posts on here and also on other sites I have looked at people mention "OEM" and "LC" abreviations and I'm not sure what these mean. I live in Australia and there seem to be very few options in this country. I am not opposed to buying a pair from overseas but want to make sure i order the correct bags. any help would be appreciated. thanks.
User avatar
pwbike
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:33 am
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Pannier liners/inner bags?

Post by pwbike »

spqrxxvi wrote:... people mention "OEM" and "LC" abreviations and I'm not sure what these mean.
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer, IE. BMW original accessories and parts
LC = Liquid Cooled, the 2014 and onward bikes with the water-cooled boxer motor.
spqrxxvi wrote:I live in Australia and there seem to be very few options in this country.
Me too, you're right, we often need to look to online shops and Ebay for things.
spqrxxvi wrote:I am not opposed to buying a pair from overseas but want to make sure i order the correct bags. any help would be appreciated.
This forum is good, members from the USA and European countries as well as a few Aussies, so good international information.
Peter
User avatar
spqrxxvi
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:42 am

Re: Pannier liners/inner bags?

Post by spqrxxvi »

Wow! Posting a question on the internet sure gets results. Thanks for the clarification on OEM and LC Peter. I did find an aussie ebay listing for some inserts but the dimensions dont appear to match up with the measurements i took from my panniers. A pair on ebay which seem to be good quality from the States were over $180A plus more than this again for postage! With my new info i can continue the search with more confidence. Thanks again.
Post Reply