2014 - onwards LC Air Filter Replacement

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
guest2360

Re: 2014 - onwards LC Air Filter Replacement

Post by guest2360 »

David. wrote: "HIFLO: OE Replacement Air Filters

Hiflofiltro air filters are manufactured to fit the factory air box and are a direct replacement for original equipment filters."

That's politician talk.  Tells you everything and nothing all at the same time.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

With two Mahle or Hiflo air filters costing the same as one BMW OE (Mahle) air filter, changing them every 6,000 miles rather than every 12,000 miles must help the engine breathe more easily.

From the photos on page 1 & my own experience, a 12,000 miles service interval is too long.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I think the debate about OEM parts and alternatives is an interesting one. How do you judge the quality of a non OEM part when they look identical. Well I don't think you can but if the part is made by a reputable company then I think it has to be a reasonable bet that its comparable in quality to the OEM part. Mahle and HIFLO I think are reputable companies that have been making filters for all sorts of purposes for years. I think they are perfectly capable of making a simple air filter for a bike.

So I spend £16k on a bike why purchase cheaper alternative service parts ? Because I don't like getting ripped off ! Who makes the air filter for BMW ? Probably Mahle. So my choice is buy a Mahle or HIFLO filter for half the cost of the BMW one, or buy the BMW one and know you have just spent £10 on a box branded with the BMW logo. The same goes for Brembo brake pads. You can buy them from BMW or get them from a Brembo stockists for half the price. Are they the same pads ? I believe so. I cannot imagine that Brembo will make two different quality brake pads for the same bike. Now BMW have branded oil ! For gods sake they don't make that and no doubt it costs double for the same spec oil from an oil company. If the specification meets BMW service requirements you are good.

I get so pissed off when companies brand products they don't make and then charge more for basically a branded box. Your choice.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have never compared them but I have read on here that you cannot buy a Brembo pad that looks identical to the ones they make for BMW.
It's like when you are told that a BMW System helmet is really just a cloned Schubert, who used to produce them.  Not one item in the helmets were compatible.
But yep, it's a free country and it's your money. 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote: I have never compared them but I have read on here that you cannot buy a Brembo pad that looks identical to the ones they make for BMW.
It's like when you are told that a BMW System helmet is really just a cloned Schubert, who used to produce them.  Not one item in the helmets were compatible.
But yep, it's a free country and it's your money.

Yes I'm sure your right that the pads made for BMW will look different. Maybe with BMW logo on and of cause their part number. However the friction material I would imagine would be the same. Otherwise they would be selling inferior pads under their name. I find that hard to believe. Who knows.
LAF

Post by LAF »

I use a K&N. 

Either of the two filters mentioned here are as good as OEM. 

I do an oil analysis on every change, car and bike.

If a air filter is not working your silicates will be high and noted in the UOA.  On both the car and bike Silicate come back fine with no notes of high content.

If you are documenting your own maintenance, save receipts, and have a Used Oil Analysis, I find it hard that BMW would not do warranty work.  At least here in the USA.  It is considered a consumer protection issue. 

We have this Federal protection:

"Should something go wrong, the warranty provider will need to determine the cause of the problem. The Federal Trade Commission says, “The manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.” That means if the dealer can prove (the burden is on the dealer) the problem was caused by the wrong viscosity or a poor quality oil filter, your warranty can be denied. Warranty protection would still be in effect for other parts of the cars."

I mean everything I do I take pictures of anyway.  My first brake flush amazed me how yellow it was at 2 years to the date of being born.  Have a valve check coming up and am pretty excited to do and document that.  I change my FD fluid every oil change and show that in a picture.  Just not a big deal to use comparable parts and oils if you keep good records. 

Just like an oil filter  and I shudder that I type this, but can anyone here tell me a Bosch filter is not as good as a BMW one?

And speaking of air filter could they have made it any harder to get to?