Engine performance and smoothness.

Technical aspects and performance of the BMW R1200RT/1250 RT
Millman

Engine performance and smoothness.

Post by Millman »

Hi everyone.  I have just about 600 miles on my 16. Does performance increase and does the engine smooth out after a fear thousand miles?  I noticed that with my 14 Tenere that after about 3500 miles I noticed a jump in engine and after the 2nd oil change thins sounded and felt better-less vibration in the lower rpms. Thanks in advance. Also what design difference did the make in the tranny that makes the shifting seem smoother in the 17's?

Greg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LAF

Re: Engine performance and smoothness.

Post by LAF »

Meanwhile, all liquid-cooled boxer models will be fitted with a judder damper on the transmission output shaft. New features also include a revised selector drum actuator, transmission shafts and transmission shaft bearing.

Very big upgrades IMHO.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Some say it's much improved, some say not much difference. The judder damper gets me, what judder?
LAF

Post by LAF »

I think my 15 RT smoothed out after a few thousand miles.  Not only motor but shifting also. 

People seem to forget this is a boxer motor not a inline 4.

After a few Harleys a LT a FJR 1300 and now the RT I actually love I can feel it.  Don't get me wrong the 4's are wonderful bikes and butter smooth but a horizontal twin is going to let you know it is there.  It is a bit buzzy at 4K and not much will change there over time.

It should wear in a bit for you give it a bit of time and of course give yourself time to adapt to the motor and it;s power bands.  And remember these bikes like RPM.  I am not saying peg the needel but 5 or 6 k on the RPM is not even making the bike breath hard and it does smooth out with RPM and speed.

When the RT comes out with the TFT display, Variable Valve Timing (VVT) and the previous transmission changes I will say goodby to my 15 and have that one. I look for it in 19 or 20 models.

Give you and the bike a bit of time remember with 5-40W oil tolerances are tight and some wear in will happen.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Now at 7500 miles, my 2017MY feels fast and it is economical (57mpg average).  Is it hugely different from before the 6000 mile service ?  Not hugely, but it is better.
I've had four cylinder bikes, eg FJR1300 and they were a little faster (but no quicker A to B) and definitely smoother, but I wouldn't swap the RT for any of them.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Terry_RT

Post by Terry_RT »

Well I have 7000kms already on my '16. I feel that engine is running smoother than the start, mostly on higher rpms.
Although I still don't like the operation of the gear shifting, especially on the 1st and 2nd gear change.. nothing changed there

Make Life A Ride #makelifearide
all these moments shall be lost, like tears in the rain...
ITB

Post by ITB »

These boxers need breaking in. 600 miles is way too early to judge eventual smoothness. Early on, my '16 was pretty coarse and had a harsh annoying sound on acceleration but by 2000 miles it got really smooth up to 4k rpm. By 4000 miles it got smooth to 7k rpm.

One break-in trick I tried starting at around 2000 miles was to cruise periodically at 65 mph in 3rd gear for a few miles at a time. That was a buzzy wail at first but after 4000 miles that was smoothed out. Same with gear shifting, although learned technique helps. Shift assist pro has gotten fantastically smooth.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

My 2017MY RT is now at 8.5k miles. As I mostly use it for commuting I wasn't seeing much of an improvement, right up to the first service (pretty much bang on 7k miles). However, since then I have been riding it a lot more at weekends and actively giving the bike a workout - not up to the rev limiter you understand but pushing regularly into the 7-8k rpm range. I have been surprised to notice that after a month or so of that it is starting to feel much smoother as it runs up through the revs. Yes it's still a bit buzzy at 70mph/4k rpm but that's just the boxer engine and I promise it's a lot smoother than the LC GS which was a real pain at that speed.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
freyguy17

Post by freyguy17 »

Add some after market bar-end weights.  You'd be amazed at how much buzz, on the handlebar, will disappear !  The large boxer engine invites buzz...HUGE pistons, that even counter-balancers can't completely tame.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

freyguy17 wrote: Add some after market bar-end weights. You'd be amazed at how much buzz, on the handlebar, will disappear ! The large boxer engine invites buzz...HUGE pistons, that even counter-balancers can't completely tame.
You mean like these? /viewtopic.php?t=2  :be happy:
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Mine had it's first 6k service last week, and I did 1400 miles around Cumbria, Borders and Yorks (oh and a long hike up and back from Hampshire) doing Round Britain Rally stuff.  Was impressed by its smoothness all the way through. 

Brilliant bike for doing this sort of ride which varied from motorway to nadgery little single track stuff.