Exhaust Pipe Flap Valve Thingy

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Exhaust Pipe Flap Valve Thingy

Post by David. »

MacJ wrote:Apparently each case is decided on 'Merit'.

I wonder if its based on how the dealer puts the case to the Mothership.
Could well be very true, there seems to be no "rhyme or reason" to warranty claims.

On my May 2012 TC which I purchased as an approved used bike in October 2014, the engine front timing cover was replaced under a goodwill arrangement.
At the time of the claim in April 2015, the bike was nearly 3 years old, but had only done 3,000 miles.
The bike was purchased form AJ's in Shipley, the warranty work was done at Coopers in Sunderland.

One of the reasons could be that the dealers are paid substantially less per hour for labour for warranty work than the circa £100 per hour we pay as punters.
If the dealer's workshop is not busy, they may be prepared to take a hit on labour rates and pursue the claim more vigorously on your behalf.
Last edited by David. on Mon May 08, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

My exhaust  valve on the '14 was replaced @ the 6000 mile service under warranty,  whole new exhaust system,  £1500!
I'm trying to get a spot light changed under good will,  it's just outside the 2 year warranty.  Have been told by Long Eaton BMW, that they've been told to stop all good will gestures. BMW'S reasoning?, so I was told,  if you bought a washing machine  & it went wrong after the warranty period they wouldn't replace it for free. It's costing BMW a lot of money. I'm still going to persue it tho...
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

smileymiley wrote: My exhaust  valve on the '14 was replaced @ the 6000 mile service under warranty,  whole new exhaust system,  £1500!
I'm trying to get a spot light changed under good will,  it's just outside the 2 year warranty.  Have been told by Long Eaton BMW, that they've been told to stop all good will gestures. BMW'S reasoning?, so I was told,  if you bought a washing machine  & it went wrong after the warranty period they wouldn't replace it for free. It's costing BMW a lot of money. I'm still going to persue it tho...

When were you told this.  Very recently one of us here got a replacement front ESA shock under goodwill on a bike 6 months out of warranty.  Just had to pay for labour. And that was at Pidcock's
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Not sure how I managed to get to be a person of merit. I bought the bike from a private seller and prior to that, haven't owned a BMW since 1993 :)
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

RTman10 wrote:
When were you told this. 
About 3 weeks ago when I booked the 6000 mile service  John
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

PM sent
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Took the opportunity whilst the silencer was off my TC to check the exhaust flow control valve which is in perfect working order.

Very little carbon build up, no sign of any corrosion, lubricated inside with graphite based penetrating oil & externally with ACF-50.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Do you strip your bike down after every ride David?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sullivj wrote:Do you strip your bike down after every ride David?
No, recently had the bike MOT'd and I wanted to check the condition of the F&R brake pads.

The rear caliper was removed, pistons/pads cleaned & pistons exercised/lubricated etc.

I find it easier to drive the pad retaining pin in/out with the silencer & wheel removed, not a big job.

IMO, preventative maintenance is better than, "fix it when it's broken".
Last edited by David. on Sun May 14, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

If the valve seizes up, as in my case, will it generate a fault code which would show up on diagnostics?
I had the bike serviced in February and this was not reported.

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MacJ wrote: If the valve seizes up, as in my case, will it generate a fault code which would show up on diagnostics?
I had the bike serviced in February and this was not reported.

Yes, thats how I found out mine was seized, reported when the bike went in for its 6k service.
LAF

Post by LAF »

I am not sure if it does generate a fault code?  I would hope so but you still need a way to read and interpret the code.

I do know with the GS-911 it is a service feature and it checks the operation of the valve.  I would assume the dealers super computer does the same thing and runs the check with a pass or fail.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

LAF wrote: I am not sure if it does generate a fault code?  I would hope so but you still need a way to read and interpret the code.

I do know with the GS-911 it is a service feature and it checks the operation of the valve.  I would assume the dealers super computer does the same thing and runs the check with a pass or fail.

Well only going on what the dealer told me, as there was no indication the flap wasn't working, it wasn't making a noise. So if its a service item and runs a pass fail, then they would know if it was working or not. I assumed the question above was related to if the dealer would know it wasn't working. So if your correct, the term fault code is wrong  8)

MacJ

Post by MacJ »

[size=2px]<< I assumed the question above was related to if the dealer would know it wasn't working. So if your correct, the term fault code is wrong >>[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]I'm trying to establish if the dealer should have known about the failure of the valve at the last service in February when the bike was still in warranty. Obviously if it did show as a fault and they did nothing I [/size]might[size=2px] be able to use that to get&nbsp; repair.[/size]
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MacJ wrote: << I assumed the question above was related to if the dealer would know it wasn't working. So if your correct, the term fault code is wrong >>[/size]

[/size]
I'm trying to establish if the dealer should have known about the failure of the valve at the last service in February when the bike was still in warranty. Obviously if it did show as a fault and they did nothing I might be able to use that to get&nbsp; repair.

Well I think you have your answer then, whether its actually a fault code or shows up as a failure is academic, if its broken they will have known. But your problem is, mine was ok at 3k annual, then only 2 months later it failed at 6k check, so they will just say it was ok at the last service.

You could always ring up another dealer and ask if they can tell
Last edited by Casbar on Sun May 14, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.