How many of you own a second bike?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

How many of you own a second bike?

Post by timminator »

Curious how many of you own other bikes in addition to your RT?  I am considering something smaller for city riding and just general fun.  Definitely something to be said for a light weight bike that's easy to ride, easy to park, and more maneuverable in traffic.  Considering maybe an RNineT or possibly the F700GS.

Don't get me wrong, I love my '16 RT, and wouldn't trade it for anything.  It will continue to be my go-to bike for any kind of distance riding.  Seems like I could fill the garage with different bikes for different occasions, but that's not gonna happen (if the misses has anything to say about it).
BMW MOA #210438
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Re: How many of you own a second bike?

Post by Sullivj »

I have a Honda CB500 for short trips into town, and an old classic (Ambassador Supreme 1957), for when the sun comes out.

If I had more room, I'd get more, I like to have different bikes for different kinds of ride.
SCbarber

Post by SCbarber »

I have a '16 Road King, getting a '16 RT as well because I almost bought one instead of my RK.. lol
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

I have a Tiger 800xc and a my old faithful Honda vfr800vtec.

The tiger is 20 months old and is getting advertised as not been on it since getting RT and don't think I will bother getting back on it.
The VFR will never leave me,  it was my first proper bike and still great for a quick blast or commute to work.
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

I have a Yamaha FZ 600 for a bit of solo riding! And don't laugh but the next addition will be a Scomadi 200 !!
limesgmt

Post by limesgmt »

I kept my R1200 st, the ugly duckling, that's used for work and solo trips, it's the same as your VFR  never to be sold on as I love the thing.
Dave
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

I have a Harley Street Bob for sunny days  8)  I also have Suzuki VanVan for riding the local lanes, I'm hoping my partner will eventually learn to ride a geared bike on it and pass her test before getting something bigger (GS 300 or similar) I also have a GasGas 200txt for playing on the local dirt tracks and an 04 R6 which my son rides more than me! I get to do all the maintenance on it though.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

K1300S for more sporty riding and touring one up longer distances, RT is used more for long distance commutes and touring 2 up!  Peter
timminator

Post by timminator »

I rode a 2017 RNineT scrambler today...oh boy.  Took all my will power to walk out of the dealership without owning one.
BMW MOA #210438
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

timminator wrote: I rode a 2017 RNineT scrambler today...oh boy.  Took all my will power to walk out of the dealership without owning one.

I take it you have quite short legs then?

I liked lots about it apart from the fact I wanted to get off every 15 minutes...
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

There is nowhere on my commute to work in London where it is legal to do more than 50 mph -  plus any machine that was not at least 100kg lighter than the RT was dismissed immediately.

I'm very happy with my 300cc Honda scooter and I can't imagine anything better for my commute/shopping trips. I'm terrified that if I owned a middleweight bike, say a Guzzi Breva or a Bonneville, that the RT would only be ridden 3 times a year on continental trips.

The scooter was set-up for emergency touring after I thought I would not be able to ride the RT after an accident. I have satnav, bike-to-bike comms, top box and panniers, DAB radio, intercom, adjustable screen, heated grips and power for heated clothing - a micro RT in other words.
John Bentall
mcbrid

Post by mcbrid »

I have 7 Lambretta's from 1959 to 1987 vintage

be
timminator

Post by timminator »

richardbd wrote:
I take it you have quite short legs then?

I'm 5'11" and have a 30 inch inseam, neither freakishly tall or short.  It's definitely a different feel than the RT, but that's the whole point.  It's an urban bike made for shorter trips, and definitely going for a certain style.
BMW MOA #210438
timminator

Post by timminator »

beemerboy9 wrote: I'm terrified that if I owned a middleweight bike, say a Guzzi Breva or a Bonneville, that the RT would only be ridden 3 times a year on continental trips.
I do share that same concern.  The RT is extremely versatile, and if you only own 1 bike, it's the one to have. I still do enough distance riding on weekends that I think I could justify keeping both of them.  At least that's what I'm telling myself for now.  ;)

And incidentally, the Bonneville T120 would be the other bike to consider, it's a beauty, my brother owns one.
BMW MOA #210438
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

I do share that same concern.  The RT is extremely versatile, and if you only own 1 bike, it's the one to have. I still do enough distance riding on weekends that I think I could justify keeping both of them.  At least that's what I'm telling myself for now.  ;)

And incidentally, the Bonneville T120 would be the other bike to consider, it's a beauty, my brother owns one.

I live very close to the edge of London and the interesting back roads start only 5 miles away - a scenarios very different for many Americans. Therefore for me the T120 would be too close in terms of size, weight and demeanor to the RT to consider as "sporty" - its natural competitor is the R1200R or RnineT or a raft of other machines from Japan. I would consider a 650-700 as being sufficiently interesting, lighter and more agile than the RT that there would be absolutely no doubt in my mind which bike I was going to take for the ride ahead. Just like the scooter vs the RT.
John Bentall