Windshield riding speed

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Terry_RT

Windshield riding speed

Post by Terry_RT »

Hey riders, greetings from Greece. when riding in the motorway with the windshield in fully upright position which is the maximum speed you prefer to ride? I there a manufacturers advice, like one for the panniers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
all these moments shall be lost, like tears in the rain...
BeeJay

Re: Windshield riding speed

Post by BeeJay »

Terry, 0 mph or kph.
I never ride with the screen fully up.
I would imaging the increase in fuel consumption would be noticeable.
I don't know of any such official guidelines.
I ride with the screen fully down with occasional up about 1/3

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

All the way up  definitely increases fuel consumption and back pressure. Also looks very ugly .  There are no speed restrictions on it though. I thought it was only our friends over the pond who ride looking through the screen.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

RTman10 wrote: All the way up  definitely increases fuel consumption and back pressure. Also looks very ugly .  There are no speed restrictions on it though. I thought it was only our friends over the pond who ride looking through the screen.
I'll have to emigrate 😯 always ridden with it fully up... being 6'2" I can still see over the screen. The only time I lower it is when its raining,  dropping it slightly clears rain off my visor great😊
As for fuel consumption. .. the average on the RT  is 48.9mpg. I'm happy enough with that.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

I have the Wunderlich aftermarket screen. I tend to have it 2/3rd of the way up. Fully up creates too much back pressure. I'm 6'2" and long in the body
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As for fuel consumption. .. the average on the RT  is 48.9mpg. I'm happy enough with that

There you go, case proved.  Drop it a bit  and have a lot more pils money when you get to the Black Forest.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

RTman10 wrote:

There you go, case proved.  Drop it a bit  and have a lot more pils money when you get to the Black Forest.
Thought that was the tour organiser's job!
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's a novel idea.  Will have to give it some thought, not a lot though. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: That's a novel idea.  Will have to give it some thought, not a lot though. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thats because your going in your car - lol. You just need to not put the air con on, and keep the windows closed - job done
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

And whose going to bring all the goodies for those not attending my pre trip party.  And of course my private stock of hooch. Cars have their advantages now and again. 
nh_handyman
United States of America

Post by nh_handyman »

I'm 6'4" with a QuietRide on my R1200RT - its all the way up all the time - I hit a high speed this morning  (not quite double the posted limit) for a few seconds getting away from a few cages that were acting a bit erratic.  Windscreen didn't flinch.
And did you know the Nav system keeps track of 'high speed' ?  :-)
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: And whose going to bring all the goodies for those not attending my pre trip party.  And of course my private stock of hooch. Cars have their advantages now and again.

:alas:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Very easy to delete or you can always plead you were on a German autobahn at the time.
iride4u

Post by iride4u »

In the winter I use a Quiet Ride and in the summer the stock windshield. I try to ride with the windshield as flat as possible. About the only time that I raise it more the a few inches is in the rain or hail.
pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pwbike »

I'm tall and have the stock windscreen, I only put it right up when it's really raining. Even right up I can see over it.
With it right up I don't get enough air on me to keep cool.
I mostly ride with it about 2/3 up and have plenty of air around my helmet which has the visor around 1/3 open.

It's good having a range of options, never had anything like it on previous bikes.
When I'm out for a fang with sportsbikes, I often put the screen right down, my previous bike was a KTM 990 SMT.
Peter