Summer Tour - Boots thoughts

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
Terry_RT

Post by Terry_RT »

Greeting fellow riders, I 've just finished planning my summer tour, which I will report later for suggestions. I want to ask you about the boots you wear. Which boots do you suggest for hot summer season? I mean Greece, Italy, morocco, Tunisia... I m looking for Held Camero boots or BMW airflow

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
all these moments shall be lost, like tears in the rain...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Can't comment on the Held but I do have the Airflow .  Being short they do not give the same shin protection you get in a normal bike boot but they are super cool and comfortable.  A few spots of rain though results in wet feet.  Space permitting I would suggest you travel down in Gortex boots and pack the Airflow for those hot dry days.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri May 12, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terry_RT

Re: Summer Tour - Boots thoughts

Post by Terry_RT »

RTman10 wrote: Can't comment on the Held but I do have the Airflow .  Being short they do not give the same shin protection you get it's a normal bike boot but they are super cool and comfortable.  A few spots of rain though results in wet feet.  Space permitting I would suggest you travel down on Gortex boots and pack the Airflow for those hot dry days.
That's what I have in mind. I have already a GoreTex boots that use all the time, but for very hot days I have to seek other options..

pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pwbike »

I'm looking for a boot that is good for walking around and doing photography off the bike and am strongly considering the TCX Street Ace Air,
I'm about to order a pair of TCX Street Ace WP for the same reason and Winter riding.
They're a short boot, but sound like they'll be better suited for walking around as well as riding. Not as protective as my normal touring boots though.
Peter
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

pwbike wrote: I'm looking for a boot that is good for walking around and doing photography off the bike and am strongly considering the TCX Street Ace Air,
I'm about to order a pair of TCX Street Ace WP for the same reason and Winter riding.
They're a short boot, but sound like they'll be better suited for walking around as well as riding. Not as protective as my normal touring boots though.

Have a look at the Alt berg range  I have a pair that I wear all year round  comfortable to wear all day
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

pwbike wrote: I'm looking for a boot that is good for walking around and doing photography off the bike and am strongly considering the TCX Street Ace Air,

Amazon show these as waterproof but not Gortex or anything else breathable.  Also don't seem to have much protection like ancle support. I wouldn't feel secure in them for sure.
RaistlinRTCW

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

I have Daytona star GTX Wide comfortable and waterproof, and a pair of TCX Short waterproof X square or something for shorter rides
pwbike

Post by pwbike »

RTman10 wrote:
Amazon show these as waterproof but not Gortex or anything else breathable.  Also don't seem to have much protection like ancle support. I wouldn't feel secure in them for sure.

Yes, that's right, not a boot for serious riding, I'd modify my riding and level of caution accordingly.
The WP are prone to overheating, hence Winter only, the Air version have perforations and would be the go in Spring/Summer Autumn here in Australia.
Peter
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

+ 1 on the TCX boot. The wife and I wear them when (sedately!) touring Europe. Yes, they're waterproof but I imagine they'd result in wet feet in the event of heavy sustained rain! Comfort-wise and for wearing as general footwear off the bike, can't beat them, and they do help keep your feet cool when riding. Ankle support/protection, albeit minimal, is okay considering the boot style. Nice grippy sole also handy when stationary astride the bike!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Altberg Hogg boots, brilliant.
pwbike

Post by pwbike »

Steve F wrote: + 1 on the TCX boot. The wife and I wear them when (sedately!) touring Europe. Yes, they're waterproof but I imagine they'd result in wet feet in the event of heavy sustained rain! Comfort-wise and for wearing as general footwear off the bike, can't beat them, and they do help keep your feet cool when riding. Ankle support/protection, albeit minimal, is okay considering the boot style. Nice grippy sole also handy when stationary astride the bike!

Thanks for the mini review, good to know, I have more confidence in placing my order now  :-)
Peter
pwbike

Post by pwbike »

Casbar wrote:
Altberg Hogg boots, brilliant.

I was interested in the Altberg boots, but we have no importer/sales here is Australia, so very hard to order a pair without trying them on.
I seem to have difficult feet and find many boots and shoes uncomfortable. So I really have to stick with those available to try on here.
I've seen favourable reviews of Altberg riding boots online and in the British "Ride" magazine.
Peter
Terry_RT

Post by Terry_RT »

Anyone used Held Camero?

guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

I have these for the warmer days http://www.sidi.com/en/products/motorcy ... o/tour-air notwaterproof but good ventilation.

I have tour rain for the rest of the year.
Bkh

Post by Bkh »

Terry_RT wrote: Greeting fellow riders, I 've just finished planning my summer tour, which I will report later for suggestions. I want to ask you about the boots you wear. Which boots do you suggest for hot summer season? I mean Greece, Italy, morocco, Tunisia... I m looking for Held Camero boots or BMW airflow

Thank you

I have TCX Jupiter EVO gore-Tex boots for the summer.  Not as much protection as full touring boot, but the benefit is they go well with shorts which I wear underneath riding pants.  Very comfortable on and off the bike.    I've been in hard rain and keep my feet dry.  I do have to pay attention to keeping my rain pants all the way down.  As a shorter boot, water will get inside in hard rain if pants have shifted up.