Top Case w/ brake light

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Bill

Top Case w/ brake light

Post by Bill »

I have a 2016 r1200rt
Purchased the BMW Top Case and aux. brake light for Top Case.
The Top Case now has the compartment light and brake light.
the wires go to the Top Cases round connector.
I know the bike does not have the other side of connector on it.
Has anyone done the same as far as wiring?
Is the brake light on the bike on can bus like the k1600?
Thanks in advance
--Bill
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Top Case w/ brake light

Post by timminator »

Hi Bill - I ran into this exact same issue after buying the deluxe topcase online.  The deluxe case comes with a cylindrical plug that will only work with a bike that has central locking (which has the same cylindrical plug).  I resolved my problem by buying the CANOpener3 from clearwater lights.  It will cost you another $200, but it's really your only option.  You could try tapping into the brake light wiring, but tapping into the wiring harness could invalidate your warranty and cause faults on the dash.

Here is a thread that details my situation.  You can ignore the locking issues and just focus on the lights.  https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=2
BMW MOA #210438
Bill

Post by Bill »

Well, afte checking around, finding out you have to buy a set of lights to get the Clearwater CAN Opener, I ordered the HEX EZ CAN today.
This one will give 4 programmable outputs.
Seems pretty straight forward.
I will let you know.
Thanks timminator!
--Bill
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Bill wrote: Well, afte checking around, finding out you have to buy a set of lights to get the Clearwater CAN Opener, I ordered the HEX EZ CAN today.
This one will give 4 programmable outputs.
Seems pretty straight forward.
I will let you know.
Thanks timminator!
--Bill
Clearwater will sell you the CANOpener separately, but you have to call them, it's not available for separate purchase on their website.  The EZCan should do the same thing for you though.  Good luck, and PM me if you have any questions.
BMW MOA #210438