added usb power port

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
tomsrt

added usb power port

Post by tomsrt »

hello, I just bought 2012 1200rt, wanting to add a dual usb power  port in the glove box, need to connect to a "keyed" wire, any suggestions?  Thanks
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: added usb power port

Post by David. »

tomsrt wrote:Need to connect to a "keyed" wire, any suggestions?
There is a switched GPS power connection near the headstock which can be used. The one with the white connector in it.

Jthomas4004

Post by Jthomas4004 »

How about on a 2005 1200rt?  Is there a safe way to wire in a USB outlet that is on the ignition switch.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

They re all the same, 2005 to 2013
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The BMW part no. for the (white) connector is 83300413585, described as sat nav repair connector plug.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You can get an adaptor that gives the plug a pos and neg  cable either from any BMW bike dealer and I believe Nippy Norman sells them for a bit more. 
tomsrt

Post by tomsrt »

thank you very much for the response, but, my bmw dealer doesn't know what the adapter might be, they gave a picture of the
connector but not the adapter, any more info on adapter, parts number or picture ?  Thanks again, Tom
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Is this the connector you were shown.

Sorry, don't know anything about an adaptor.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Adaptor, tool, same thing.  Cables are numbered 1,2 and 3.  Only two are used but can't remember which is pos neg and nothing.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The three yellow wires on the BMW plug are very helpfully marked with corresponding numbering (1, 2 and 3).

(1) = (-ve earth)
(2) = (not required)
(3) = (+ve power)
tomsrt

Post by tomsrt »

yes thanks that is what I was shown, and I think I wasn't clear on the problem. I have the nav system already plugged into that connection
I was looking to "tap" into a keyed wire. after going to my local bmw dealer, I think I will use the wiring for the  plug provided in the side fairing to "tap" into. I just won't use the connection on the left side  and still put the dual usb panel plug in the glove box so the stock bmw plug on left side will be "dead" .  Thanks for all the response, the bmw is all new to me, so i'll have a lot of questions!
DeltaBravo
Bike Model and Year: BMW RT1200
United States of America

Post by DeltaBravo »

I added an SAE connector the the battery for my Battery Tender charger.  I also have an SAE cabled USB charger with voltage indicator.  I just have to plug it all together when I need it, and being directly attached to the battery, the RT can remain off.  HTH

Dennis
Qball-16

Post by Qball-16 »

Not wanting to hi-jack this thread, but...

Is there any reason why I shouldn't/couldn't permanently replace the BMW/Hella/powerlet style auxiliary plug-in on the left side of the dash on my 06 RT with a dedicated USB port to power my phone or gps or whatever?

I know I can get an adapter, but I have nothing that uses the BMW style plug and I can't envision ever having something that would require it.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Qball-16 wrote: Not wanting to hi-jack this thread, but...

Is there any reason why I shouldn't/couldn't permanently replace the BMW/Hella/powerlet style auxiliary plug-in on the left side of the dash on my 06 RT with a dedicated USB port to power my phone or gps or whatever?

I know I can get an adapter, but I have nothing that uses the BMW style plug and I can't envision ever having something that would require it.

I used the live from this as a switch signal for a relay  then wired everything to a fuse box connected to that.  All hid in the right hand speaker pod.