Swapping parts to a twin-cam bike?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Having recently fitted a set of clearwater leds to my trusty 2006 RT I though I was all done with modifications and I would just enjoy the bike over the next couple of years on my annual tour (it's the only time the bike really gets used),hence the low 19k miles. But I've got a nagging doubt about the longevity of the brake servo unit. My friends 2006 K1200GT unit has packed-up twice now in the last 12 months and its looking like it needs replacing or removing. Not a place I want to be!

So I've had a look around and found a very clean, one owner, low mileage 2012 SE twin cam, non servo model with full service history. If I go for this later bike can I swap over my BMW comfort seat, BMW pannier & top box liners & BMW tank bag? I've also got Ztechnik comfort screen which I'm thinking wont fit?

Also, is their much of an improvement between the models or was it more a cosmetic change. Any advice is much appreciated.
Last edited by UKDucatiman on Sun May 21, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Re: Swapping parts to a twin-cam bike?

Post by guest2360 »

Every thing will swap except for the screen.  Think the bolt holes are a bit different.  But the screen is better anyway.  As for the engine, some will argue the twin cam is better that the LC so its very subjective.  I've had them all and have found that on the 1200 RT progress has resulted in improvement.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun May 21, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

RTman10 wrote: Every thing will swap except for the screen.  Think the bolt holes are a bit different.  But the screen is better anyway.  As for the engine, some will argue the twin cam is better that the LC so its very subjective.  I've had them all and have found that on the 1200 RT progress has resulted in improvement.

That's good news indeed, the only other item I will have to sort out is a navigation mount (hardware) for my Garmin 660 as my current wunderlich item only fits through to the 09 model. Did BMW offer a specific mount for the bike, what are the options here. Thanks again
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

2010 onwards the mount is a bar that sits on top of the dash.  You might find your Wunderlich bit that clamps to the Nav will fit on the bar.  Electrics are the same.  Look in Real OEM for the part.David might just pop up and give you some pics and prices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

My buddy with a 06Rt was very happy with it, till he rode my 15
Now he's riding a 16, demo bike and is crazy about it
I had a 12, 1200gs great engine, if you have a 2012 RT lined up go for it, but first ride a LC model
Jim
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

The original BMW screens are interchangeable between hex-head and twin-cam RTs. I had a twin-cam screen fitted to my earlier hex-head RT. The holes are slightly different, but they do fit.

I would expect that your Z-Technic would be similarly interchangeable. Screens are quick and easy to remove and re-fit, so it's worth a try! :)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

UKDucatiman wrote:Did BMW offer a specific mount for the bike.
https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/en/g ... 1607708580

Last edited by David. on Sun May 21, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

David. wrote: https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/en/genuine-spare-parts/bmw-spare-parts?itemid=71607708580

Perfect, do we know if the BMW 4-button cradle or Garmin mount (I've got both) will bolt straight onto this or is there a further hardware interface required?

UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

T6pilot wrote: My buddy with a 06Rt was very happy with it, till he rode my 15
Now he's riding a 16, demo bike and is crazy about it
I had a 12, 1200gs great engine, if you have a 2012 RT lined up go for it, but first ride a LC model

Would love an LC but it's a question of available funds for me .....or lack of!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I've got a Garmin 660 bolted to the BMW mount, works a treat.

As far as I know, the BMW mount works the same, BMW don't make sat. navs.
Last edited by David. on Sun May 21, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

There's an additional part, suggested to go with that mount.  BMW call it a "foil". Basically, it's a square of thin sticky plastic, that attaches to the bar, before the square box is bolted on. The idea being that it stops the box rotating on the bar.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Sullivj wrote: There's an additional part, suggested to go with that mount.  BMW call it a "foil". Basically, it's a square of thin sticky plastic, that attaches to the bar, before the square box is bolted on. The idea being that it stops the box rotating on the bar.

They are part of the kit that comes with the block and stick to the two halves.  Without them it just spins loosely on the bar.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sullivj wrote:There's an additional part, suggested to go with that mount. BMW call it a "foil".
The part no. for the clear film (foil) is 46542315901.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

RTman10 wrote:
They are part of the kit that comes with the block and stick to the two halves.  Without them it just spins loosely on the bar.

Actually, no.  The foil is a separate part, which is not part of the kit.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTs4me wrote:The original BMW screens are interchangeable between hex-head and twin-cam RTs. I had a twin-cam screen fitted to my earlier hex-head RT. The holes are slightly different, but they do fit.
RealOEM lists the same part nos. for the windshield support(s) #2 for 1200 RT's from (11/2003 - 06/2014),
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=46_0918

Surely, therefore the mounting points must be in the same place and the screens are interchangeable.

Ztechnik list the same screen(s) for both pre-LC R1200RT's.
Last edited by David. on Mon May 22, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.