Swapping parts to a twin-cam bike?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

Re: Swapping parts to a twin-cam bike?

Post by guest2360 »

Well something is definitely different .  If you try fitting the 2010 Nav bracket on the earlier bike it doesn't quite fit and the Nav will hit the screen when it's lowered. I suspect all the top panels are different as well.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Trim panel upper part, is the same for (11/2003 - 06/2014),
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?i ... 6637682929
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

David. wrote: RealOEM lists the same part nos. for the windshield support(s) #2 for 1200 RT's from (11/2003 - 06/2014),
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0368-EUR-01-2006-K26-BMW-R_1200_RT_05_0368,0388_&diagId=46_0918

Surely, therefore the mounting points must be in the same place and the screens are interchangeable.

Ztechnik list the same screen(s) for both pre-LC R1200RT's.

If it fits that's good news as I really like the quiet ride the Ztechnik delivers.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

RTman10 wrote: Well something is definitely different .  If you try fitting the 2010 Nav bracket on the earlier bike it doesn't quite fit and the Nav will hit the screen when it's lowered. I suspect all the top panels are different as well.

Well I'm hoping to close the deal tomorrow morning and then its going to be spanners out to pull everything off mine before the trade-in. If and when I get the new one home I will just have to line things up and see what fits. But I think you are right about the top panel as my current Wunderlich mounting bracket is listing only for the 05 - 09 bikes.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's probably because if it's fitted between the bars there are 4 bolts. On the new one there are only 3,
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Well the deal has been struck and I pick-up the bike a week on Friday. In this case I need to locate the satnav bracket and film. Has anybody used KFM Motorrader as they seem to have the items in stock. Just wondered about how good and quick the service was?
Last edited by UKDucatiman on Wed May 24, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

UKDucatiman wrote: Well the deal has been struck and I pick-up the bike a week on Friday. In this case I need to locate the satnav bracket and film. Has anybody used KFM Motorrader as they seem to have the items in stock. Just wondered about how good and quick the service was?

If you mean the bar and the block to fit the GPS cradle to the kit includes all you need.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

RTman10 wrote:
If you mean the bar and the block to fit the GPS cradle to the kit includes all you need.

Yes, bar, block and the sticky tape. Got to get a move on as I'm going on tour 16th June hence trying to locate parts. New old stock if possible.
guest2360

Swapping parts to a twin-cam bike?

Post by guest2360 »

If you look in Real OEM you will see the two strips of tape come with the block.  They are rubber strips that stick to each side of the block.  If you have a local BMW dealer if he hasn't got it in stock it would only take him a day to get it all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed May 24, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The self-adhesive rubber strips in this photo fit between the metal bracket/bar and the plastic panel top trim.

Sullivj wrote:There's an additional part, suggested to go with that mount. BMW call it a "foil". Basically, it's a square of thin sticky plastic, that attaches to the bar, before the square box is bolted on. The idea being that it stops the box rotating on the bar.
David. wrote:The part no. for the clear film (foil) is 46542315901.
All items except the foil #08 come with the bracket #01, https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=77_0323

Items #05 & #06 are described as sealing strips.
Last edited by David. on Wed May 24, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Great, thanks David & RTMan10 for the detailed clarification. I'll give my local dealer a call this morning.

Regarding the satnav cable run to the power socket under the headstock. On my 06 bike I had to ran this down the side of the instrument cluster. Does the later bikes have a hole/channel to feed this through?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

UKDucatiman wrote:Regarding the satnav cable run to the power socket under the headstock. Does the later bikes have a hole/channel to feed this through?
David. wrote:Undo the 4 screws securing the instrument cluster cover & remove the cover.
A gap will appear behind the clocks where the cables can be routed, working to the lefthand side of the centre is the easiest.
Last edited by David. on Thu May 25, 2017 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Where are the four screws for the instrument cluster located? On my 2006 bike I Think I had to remove the mirrors to find them.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

UKDucatiman wrote:Where are the four screws for the instrument cluster located?
Part No. 02 is the instrument cover, this is all that needs to be removed, held in place with 4 off (T20 Torx) part no. 03 bolts, they are recessed in the cover.

https://www.rainbowbmw.com/BMWETK/Produ ... 202595.php

This photo shows 2 of the 4 bolts, same on the LHS.

Last edited by David. on Sun May 28, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

RTman10 wrote:

And the foil I mentioned earlier. It protects the bar, and stops the block rotating around on it.