Wales 3 Days

Want to arrange a local meet or ride out with like minded people? Then please post about it in this section with all the details and dates.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Wales 3 Days

Post by David. »

michaelc2710 wrote:Are the hotels booked under a group name or is it a case of just booking in individually.
I booked mine over the phone directly with both hotels, it's probably best to book your own, saves any chew.
(The Bangor hotel in on Booking.com, the Builth Wells one isn't, it may also be best value booking directly with the hotel).
David. wrote:The hotels were very accommodating & understanding that we are on motorcycles & the trip would be weather dependant.
Haven't paid a deposit or given any card details, was offered 24 hrs notice by the first hotel in Bangor & 48 hrs by the second hotel in Builth Wells.
(Based on this, could leave a decision until Sunday 18th).
Last edited by David. on Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Thanks David

I'll give them a ring shortly.

k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Have just spoken to the Hotel in Bangor.
Because I booked through Booking.com, it's a 48 hr cancellation policy. David booked direct and got 24 hrs. Unfortunately I can't cancel with Booking.com and rebook direct so unfortunately the decision date for me remains Friday 16th. Agree on the best value booking direct but I was booking a triple room, which are in short supply, especially when trying to combine with decent bike parking, so grabbed it when I saw it which was probably after hours as I'd been at it a while and was getting brassed off.
Incidentally the lady said they were getting very short of rooms so don't hang about if you want one.
Last edited by k9doc on Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
michaelc2710
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Well that's both nights booked and some cheap none BMW  :silence:  pannier bags ordered.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

michaelc2710 wrote:Some cheap none BMW pannier bags ordered.
Just as well I've got the "real deal", standards need to be maintained.
michaelc2710
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

I didn't even need to give my card details, told them you were my dad and you were paying.

Now that's a real deal :))
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

michaelc2710 wrote:I didn't even need to give my card details, told them you were my dad and you were paying.
I'm not paying for your fuel though, can't afford that.
Last edited by David. on Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
michaelc2710
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

That's why I offered to meet you at Birch so I can slipstream you and save fuel.

I was going to slipstream Chris but i'm scared of his top box [size=78%] [/size] ;)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

michaelc2710 wrote:That's why I offered to meet you at Birch so I can slipstream you and save fuel.
Can't fault you, I'll even use the cheap fuel, then we can compare notes.

Although BMW say, "I'll suffer from slight power and consumption related restrictions".
Better make sure it's BP stuff as recommended by BMW, no cheap imitations for me.
"I don't believe it", Birch services sell BP fuel, in the interest of science, I'll fill up there.

Would be interesting to see how an LC performs on the "full fat" fuel.
Last edited by David. on Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

michaelc2710 wrote: I was going to slipstream Chris but i'm scared of his top box [size=78%] [/size] ;)
Must find an appropriate sticker for it.  :beee:
Chris
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

michaelc2710 wrote: Well that's both nights booked and some cheap none BMW  :silence:  pannier bags ordered.
What cancellation policy did you get from the Baytree Lodge. Regarding the bags, I have some Mane Event bags going spare but don't know if they would fit your gas guzzler.
Chris
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Since I'm going to have to commit or otherwise by the end of Friday 16th, it would be helpful to know other participants bottom line regarding the weather. In view of our destination, the likelihood of some precipitation is not remote. Having said that, on my several excursions through Wales to date......... I'll not finish that and tempt fate.
Personally one and a half wet days of three I could handle unless it's monsoon ie showers not a problem providing there's some sunshine and not that horrible grey murky drizzle and low cloud.
Chris
michaelc2710
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

The lady was in a rush when I was booking as her other phone was ringing, all she kept stating was the same as the rest of the party.

As for the pannier bags I just went for the ones from ebay at £32. The reviews seam ok but if they do wells I'll be happy.

The top box needs to be left free for the 2 spare fuel cans I need for long distances......it's getting better as I managed 210 miles Sunday and the reserve light had just come on when I pulled up at home.
I'm use to just filling up everytime I go out and top up if others are stopping for fuel.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

k9doc wrote:Since I'm going to have to commit or otherwise by the end of Friday 16th, it would be helpful to know other participants bottom line regarding the weather.
The weather would have to be pretty good, (better than 1.5 wet days),  for me to commit to the trip.

If you make the decision to go, I'll look at it on Sunday evening at the latest & decide from there.

Sorry, I can't be anymore specific than that.
Last edited by David. on Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelc2710
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

k9doc wrote: Since I'm going to have to commit or otherwise by the end of Friday 16th, it would be helpful to know other participants bottom line regarding the weather. In view of our destination, the likelihood of some precipitation is not remote. Having said that, on my several excursions through Wales to date......... I'll not finish that and tempt fate.
Personally one and a half wet days of three I could handle unless it's monsoon ie showers not a problem providing there's some sunshine and not that horrible grey murky drizzle and low cloud.

Chris don't worry, I don't mind a bit of rain.
I've moved meetings around and booked the time off so I'm going no matter what.

Besides if it turns into a monsoon we have the hotels booked so can book in early and dry off in the bar area.....