Finally, I give up...

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Finally, I give up...

Post by richardbd »

Three years ago I announced I was going to buy an RTLC.

All my mates laughed at me, their comments being variations on the theme of being old before my time and was I getting a pipe and slippers at the same time.

Still, broad shoulders and all that, I bought the bike.  It did what I asked of it and more.  I really liked it.  It made me smile much more often than I'd expected and for two years it was a fun and faithful riding partner.

About the same time I bought the RT, I joined Steinar's new RT forum, full of hope and expectation of meeting like-minded owners.

For the first few months the forum was great fun and had a real sense of camaraderie.  Unfortunately it has got progressively duller and duller, to the point where it's clear that the pipe and slipper comments were largely justified.

I sold the RT six months ago but stayed on the forum to stay in touch with three or four knowledgeable and lively bods on here (you know who you are).

Finally though, I give up.

I'm not surprised that the forum stats are going in the wrong direction.  The hysterical mood-hoovers win.  I'm not the first and probably won't be the last to be bored into submission.  Anyway, I'm off back to the other place, where good advice and comradeship can be still had, but all with the odd bit of a laugh.

The RT is a great bike but boy, do some of the guys on here make owning one seem dull...

simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Re: Finally, I give up...

Post by simbo »

Is "Flouncing" allowed on a Monday? I thought "the rule" was Friday was flouncing day  :) 

Take care Richard :-/ 
Last edited by simbo on Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Good luck bud, sad to see you go.
I did chuckle with your comments .....
:nah:
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Richard, I sold my 1600gt several years ago and have stayed on the 1600 forum and from time to time made non specific bike comments, you might consider lurking for awhile. You can never tell the RT bug may come back!!

Jim
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's sad.  You are one if the few who has occasionally agreed with some if my comments.  But zi see where you're coming from.  Take care.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Richard, never met you, but sorry to see you go, will read your comments on the other forum, as I'm a paid member there as well  8)  And I 100 percent agree with you. Mostly dull the threads and if you have a bit of banter you get reported to the forum police. Not that anyone will miss my posts, but I can't be bothered much anymore either.  8)
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I'm perplexed. Its just a forum. Didn't know it was meant to be entertaining. Sure when you join a forum with a new bike looking for answers its interesting but after a while its bound to get dull when you have the answers. Anyway have fun and enjoy your new place while it lasts. ;)
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Sorry to see you go Richard.  We'll just blame you for the rebellious influence when things kick off :)  Mind how you go.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Levisp wrote: I'm perplexed. Its just a forum. Didn't know it was meant to be entertaining. Sure when you join a forum with a new bike looking for answers its interesting but after a while its bound to get dull when you have the answers. Anyway have fun and enjoy your new place while it lasts. ;)

Hi perplexed  8)  Thats what the search function is for, that is the best way to get answers, then if you can't find them, ask the question. But that is where we disagree, forums should be informative and light hearted entertainment, otherwise its just a technical site, which will die, because, most things have been asked before.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Casbar wrote:
Hi perplexed  8)  Thats what the search function is for, that is the best way to get answers, then if you can't find them, ask the question. But that is where we disagree, forums should be informative and light hearted entertainment, otherwise its just a technical site, which will die, because, most things have been asked before.

+1, here's to Freedom of Speech and personal opinion.

Hip, hip, hooray (hoorah is too posh for me, or is that causing offence too?)
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Cleverbee wrote:
+1, here's to Freedom of Speech and personal opinion.

Hip, hip, hooray (hoorah is too posh for me, or is that causing offence too?)

Cannot disagree with that. Must have missed offensive posts. Think people take things far too seriously. Maybe there should be a Lounge Forum where jokes and banter is allowable. Enter at you own risk. Could be fun. ;)
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Levisp wrote:
Cannot disagree with that. Must have missed offensive posts. Think people take things far too seriously. Maybe there should be a Lounge Forum where jokes and banter is allowable. Enter at you own risk. Could be fun. ;)
+1 excellent idea😉😊👍
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Would be somewhere that you could have a bit of banter, but it would still need to be controlled, if it got as brutal as the ones on UKGSER, think it would really ruin this forum. Some of the comments on there even make me cringe  8)
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Casbar wrote: Would be somewhere that you could have a bit of banter, but it would still need to be controlled, if it got as brutal as the ones on UKGSER, think it would really ruin this forum. Some of the comments on there even make me cringe  8)

Heck your right there.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

This is a tough one. I moderate another forum with about 1,500 members., and often run into difficulty in censoring inappropriate posts.

The trouble with 'banter', is that it's quite hard to define. 'Banter' to one person, can be seen as abuse by another. Jokes between friends are also difficult within forums too, especially when the forum members are in different countries. These jokes don't always translate well.

My own rule tends to be 'Would I say it to a stranger I'd just met?'. If not, I try and reword it.

Some of the posts on here have been nothing short of rude. When I've made a report of those, ive been very impressed at how quickly action has been taken.