Innovv Dual Camera dashcam installed on R1200RT LC

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
aweight

Innovv Dual Camera dashcam installed on R1200RT LC

Post by aweight »

Hi Everyone,

I thought it might be useful to share my experience of installing the Innovv K1 dual dashcam system on my RT.

There are a host of pics here - https://goo.gl/photos/gBez9tVhNKLaKqwi9[/

The innovv system is pretty smart and gives you the ability to have fully automated recording from dual cameras on your bike for the purposes of safety, riding reviews etc

The system can auto record, save files for later, track speed, direction, GPS co -ords, routes and much more

The system comprises of two aluminium housed cameras, a main recording unit with LCD screen, GPS module and wiring harness.

The front camera I mounted the front camera dead centre on the bottom of the headlight housing using 3M Very High Bond (VHB) dual lock tape, the beauty of this is that it's sticks like magic, but when you need to remove it - it will come away very cleanly.

The other advantages of using VHB to mount the camera is that you can make small adjustments to location and angle very easily and it's easy to remove should you need to reposition or clean

The front camera is mounted with the cable pointing up, bent carefully (with a cutout in the VHB where the cable enters the camera, making the cable pretty much invisible (I did start with the cable pointing down and looping back up but it looked ugly - thanked god I had used the VHB at that point)

The wiring is routed along the headlight undersides using the supplied adhesive cable clips and then under the front bodywork, in the gap between the tank and the knee panel then into the underseat compartment, following the BMW wiring loom and secured with cable ties

[attach=1]
[attach=2]

The rear camera is mounted dead centre on the red reflector above the number plate, again using VHB, drill a small hole right above the cam (8MM then square out the edges a little with a file to allow the micro usb cable for the camera to pass through)

TWO POINTS! - make sure you put your hand up inside the tail and pull to one side the rear brake light wires to avoid drilling through them AND seal the hole from inside with clear mastic to prevent water entering

it's easier if you take off the grab rail, it's only 6 bolts and makes life a bit more straight forward - I also took off the black cowling around the rear light - this really opens up the view but it a bit more work

[attach=3]
[attach=4]

The GPS unit this is mounted on VHB under the black cowling - there is a flat horizontal bar towards the rear and if your mount the GPS on this you still get a great signal without any issues, the GPS also includes a speaker which announces the status of the recording, it's pretty useable even when everything is back together

[attach=5]

Main unit the main unit sits under the passenger seat, there is an ideal spot, perfectly flat right in the middle, test fit the unit 1st with the cable attached in order to make sure you have it positioned so the locating lugs still allow the seat to be secured, then secure with VHB, cable tie (loosely) all the cable to the main wiring loom and loop and stored excess cable under the black cowling mentioned previously

[attach=6]
[attach=7]

Settings there are many settings on the main unit, the manual is excellent, just follow the instructions and you can specify amongst other things, the screen on time, the cam rotation (if you mount them upside down),the quality of the recording, A G sensor to auto lock a recording in the event of an impact, the Reg of your bike which is stamped on the videos, parking settings that record on motion sensing for upto 30 mins after the bikes power goes off - the list is endless!

Power If you have the rear accessory socket then take the power from this, it's switched with the ignition and means that the unit will start when you turn the bike on and turn off when the bike is off (there is a 4 1/2 min delay before the acc socket is powered down, so don't worry if the recording doesn't stop immediately)

Additional user button  there is an additional button that allows the user to lock a recording and prevent it from being overwritten, I did not use this, routing would be easy, following the front camera route and secure on top of brake reservoir with supplied 3m pad

Saving recordings to your laptop the siting of the main unit is ideal and it’s pretty dry and clean in there (I didn't use the supplied canvas bag as it was such a tight fit it kept turning the recording off by interfering with the button) in order to make it easy to get recordings from the unit onto your laptop just plug in a right angled micro USB into the middle port of the right and snake it under the cowling and out the back - when you want to pull off some files - connect the USB to your laptop - turn on the bike and the unit powers up in file mode, you will see the folder with the recordings appear on your laptop, just copy them across. You can also delete the recordings on the main unit in the same way

The right angled usb is critical as a normal straight one will foul the seat lug on the right hand side

[attach=8]

Software Supplied with software for Windows PC’s - the viewer is pretty good and will be on the SD card you use for recording - just double click to install it before viewing the files. For Mac users like myself I’d suggest trying Dashcam Viewer, it’s free to try, easy to find with a google search and works very well, is $25 to buy allowing you full features and IMHO well worth it.

Firmware  there is an updated firmware on the Innovv site that changes the speed to MPH from KPH, worth doing

Summary it took me some time to pluck up the courage to install the system thinking it would be harder than it really was, now I’ve installed it and learn’t it’s actually pretty straight forward I am very pleased with the result, the install is easily reversed if you sell the bike (you don’t need to drill the hole above the rear cam, it just looks neater) It’s fit and forget, the voice announcing the recording has started every time you switch on the bike gives peace of mind that all is good. Video quality is very good - not HD but great for the purpose.

Attachments
IMG_5273.JPG
IMG_0196.JPG
IMG_4999.JPG
IMG_2043.JPG
IMG_7637.JPG
IMG_7719.JPG
IMG_2164.JPG
IMG_5044.JPG
Last edited by aweight on Wed May 24, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R1200RT LE San Marino Blue
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Innovv Dual Camera dashcam installed on R1200RT LC

Post by T6pilot »

I have the original Innov on my 15 RT, gonna have to invest in the latest edition
Good job
Jim
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

I have the cheaper car version  been on my Sprint now on my RT used it for 2 years and no problems

Attached mine with 3m tape  Front facing is just behind the Right hand Perspex near the mirror.  The rear one is  to the right of the reflector.  Didnt need to make any holes to route the wires.  I have the recorder under the pillion seat  the same  but power  is wired to a relay that powers up with the ignition.  I have a 64gb card in it.

BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Many thanks for the info. The additional pictures were excellent.
I have been considering a bike cam for some time and now is the time to bite the bullet and get one.
Positioning the on-board units will be tricky as my autocomm unit sits inn the space under the pillion seat.
Still, I'm sure that I'll find space somewhere.

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Thanks that is a really good install. Food for thought.
DonVulpes

Post by DonVulpes »

Really nice install. Will be doing something very similar.

I assume the unit doesn't draw too much power, so SWMBO can use her heated vested in the rear socket as well, if needs be ?
No matter where I'm going, getting there on two wheels is always best.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

One piece of advice with regard to fitting. The control units on these systems tend to get warm and in the absence of airflow they cook themselves and stop working. I have lost two (one bike, one car) this way. I managed to shoe-horn the control unit for the bike under the rear seat which I think was my mistake as there is nowhere for any excess heat to go. If I were to fit another one I would probably secure it behind the r/h front faring panel and power it from the aux power socket there. That should give it a bit more space to breathe.

I hope you have better luck with the system than I did.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
DonVulpes

Post by DonVulpes »

Paggers wrote: One piece of advice with regard to fitting. The control units on these systems tend to get warm and in the absence of airflow they cook themselves and stop working. I have lost two (one bike, one car) this way. I managed to shoe-horn the control unit for the bike under the rear seat which I think was my mistake as there is nowhere for any excess heat to go. If I were to fit another one I would probably secure it behind the r/h front faring panel and power it from the aux power socket there. That should give it a bit more space to breathe.

I hope you have better luck with the system than I did.
Good tip. Thanks.
Potential new owner..

Post by Potential new owner.. »

Where can I buy this in the UK?
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I had to import my motorbike one from Hong Kong. The car one is more easily available, although the 'UK' seller I bought from turned out to be based in the USA.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
aweight

Post by aweight »

Hi, you can buy directly from their website https://www.innovv.com/shop--cart

I found them very responsive and delivery was quick, they have been great at answering questions too

Andy
DonVulpes

Post by DonVulpes »

aweight wrote: Hi, you can buy directly from their website https://www.innovv.com/shop--cart

I found them very responsive and delivery was quick, they have been great at answering questions too

Andy
I did the same and had the same experience.
Potential new owner..

Ok so the K1 is the latest system with dual cameras where as the C5 is a more basic system with just one camera?
Potential new owner..

Ok just taken delivery of the INNOV K1 and..I can't get it working!

I've got the optimate 90 degree plug in the rear accessory socket but when I start the bike the INNOV just flashes on briefly and says "Recording started. Recording stopped" and it records for just a second or two. I've tried my phone in the Optimate plug and it charges ok so I know that's working.

I've tried using the supplied Converter connecting to the battery and attempting to tap into a switched power source using a blade connector but can't seem to find a power source and I'm reluctant to meddle further with the wiring given that my bike is still under warranty..

The INNOV does work. I've had it in the house plugged into a USB port and it works fine.

So I'm stumped at the moment!
aweight

Post by aweight »

I had a somewhat similar issue and went through these steps to identify the cause.

1 - take it out of the pouch, my pouch was so tight it was holding the buttons down and switching it off, try this - does it work?

2 - Make sure the power cable is plugged into the unit of the RHS - opposite to the others - try this - does it work?

3 - Remove all the cable except the power one, and switch the bike on, does it work now?

If no then the fault is with the power supply or the unit itself, since it works in the house it must be something odd about the supply, remember that the BMW aux socket switches off after a while when the bike is off, this could be the cause

More than likely it will work, in this case replace each lead one by one, switch the bike back on and observe, give each lead a wiggle whilst on to see if it makes the unit switch off - repeat for each

On my unit a slightly wobbly cable would trigger a reset set, I did two things to remedy this - ditched the button and therefore the dual cable adaptor and also fitted the shroud that was developed later to clip over the leads and keep them tight. If you dont have the shroud, then ask Innov and they will post you one as they did for me

Hope this helps

Andy