Bike cleaning products

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
mhr43

Bike cleaning products

Post by mhr43 »

I currently use a quality car shampoo and warm water. However this doesn't easily remove road dirt and insects from all the hard to reach places like cylinder fins etc.  I have read concerns about the possible effect some proprietary cleaners have on alloy surfaces and paintwork and wondered if forum members had any advice/recommendations about safe but effective motor cycle cleaning products.
Thanks.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Bike cleaning products

Post by T6pilot »

Your spot on using a quality car wash, for cleaning engine, wheels, brakes and running gear I've had good results using AIRCRAFT SIMPLE GREEN, safe to use on all metals
Another good product for cleaning metal parts is S100 cleaner
I generally get the bike wet, then use a pump sprayer to disperse the simple green on metal parts, rinse and then wash entire bike with car washing liquid
Wipe down with micro towels, followed by electric leaf blower to get in nooks and crannies
Jim
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

I use simple green as well to pre-treat all the stubborn bugs, and then wash with regular auto shampoo.  The real trick is allowing it to soak and soften for several minutes before washing.  I have even draped a saturated paper towel over the areas to ensure they stay wet while soaking.
BMW MOA #210438
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Would love to know what Simbo uses, his 2011 bike is stunningly clean.

Last edited by David. on Thu May 25, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
pwbike

Post by pwbike »

David. wrote: Would love to know what Simbo uses, his 2011 bike is stunningly clean.

ImageRe: Bike cleaning products
He probably uses and obsessive attention to detail and a lot of time  ;-)
Peter
pwbike

Post by pwbike »

In Australia we have a product called CT18 Truck Wash.
Mix with water 1:10 or higher, spray on and leave to soak, hose off. It still sometimes needs a brushing on tough spots.
It's quite good for the engine areas with fiddly bits like the finned cylinder barrels and the front of the engine case where all the road grime sticks.
Also good for the stuck on bugs and mess all over the front of the bike.

http://www.chemtech.net.au/cr_ec_ct18.html
Peter
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

pwbike wrote: In Australia we have a product called CT18 Truck Wash.
Mix with water 1:10 or higher, spray on and leave to soak, hose off. It still sometimes needs a brushing on tough spots.
It's quite good for the engine areas with fiddly bits like the finned cylinder barrels and the front of the engine case where all the road grime sticks.
Also good for the stuck on bugs and mess all over the front of the bike.

https://www.chemtech.net.au/cr_ec_ct18.html

That sounds like strong stuff with a name like Truck Wash.  I remember a case of a bloke turning up with lots of corrosion on the engine and shaft .  There were also small areas of a white substance on the bike.  Turned out he was a truck driver and when he cleaned that he also did his bike with the same stuff but didn't spend enough time rinsing it off.  Warranty repair was refused.
pwbike

Post by pwbike »

The company state "safe to use on any surface".

Peter
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

pwbike wrote: The company state "safe to use on any surface".

Any surface on a truck😹😹😹
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Over here we have the same type of stuff called TFR  (Traffic Film Remover) you can use it on any surface as long as you dilute to the required strength, We use it for decreasing trucks, washing engineers van's, my cars and of course the RT.

No need for arduous washing just sponge and hose off then dry. Twice a year I cover the bike in ACF50 as a protection.
I prefer to be riding it than spending hours washing and polishing  :)
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

michaelc2710 wrote: Over here we have the same type of stuff called TFR  (Traffic Film Remover) you can use it on any surface as long as you dilute to the required strength, We use it for decreasing trucks, washing engineers van's, my cars and of course the RT.

No need for arduous washing just sponge and hose off then dry. Twice a year I cover the bike in ACF50 as a protection.
I prefer to be riding it than spending hours washing and polishing  :)

+1 on that point! :)  Yes, keep it clean but it is for riding first and foremost....isn't it?? ??? ;)
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

pH neutral snow foam all over, then pressure washer (waiting for flack),high pressure for the non sensitive and low pressure (no worse than a hose) for the sensitive bits. Followed by a flash over with CarPlan Gold car shampoo and finally a chammy. No point polishing as most of it is covered in Ventureshield which is now nearly 4 years old so a little dull. Don't do it very often though other than debugging the screen and front bits in summer. A pre-soak in the diluted snowfoam liquid makes quick work of the bugs, no effort at all which suits me fine.
Chris
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

k9doc wrote: pH neutral snow foam all over, then pressure washer (waiting for flack),high pressure for the non sensitive and low pressure (no worse than a hose) for the sensitive bits. Followed by a flash over with CarPlan Gold car shampoo and finally a chammy. No point polishing as most of it is covered in Ventureshield which is now nearly 4 years old so a little dull. Don't do it very often though other than debugging the screen and front bits in summer. A pre-soak in the diluted snowfoam liquid makes quick work of the bugs, no effort at all which suits me fine.

I have the full Ventureshield kit on mine and it still looks shiny and new after nearly 3 years. I use a pure wax on it, which protects but has no abrasive polishing agents. Also use the wax on wheels and screen. Makes cleaning very easy as dirt doesn't stick to it very well. Gives a nice shine too. The one I like is Poorboys Natty's Blue Liquid wax but any pure wax is good.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

^
Damage done to mine before my ownership as I have only had this bike for a couple of months but I'll give the wax a go. Cheers.
Chris
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

k9doc wrote: ^
Damage done to mine before my ownership as I have only had this bike for a couple of months but I'll give the wax a go. Cheers.

If you use foams you may want to checkout Bilt Hamber products. Double Speed Wax gets good reviews. I have used some of their products and always been very pleased with the quality.