2014 R1200RT doesn't start on 1st try

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
spud webb

2014 R1200RT doesn't start on 1st try

Post by spud webb »

Hi, I'm new to the RT family! I had a 2009 R1200R for 6 years!

I recently traded in my 2009 R1200R for a 2014 R1200RT. I absolutely think the RT is great! Only issue I have is that it doesn't start on the first try, unless it's been charged up with my battery tender, however it does start on the 2nd attempt. I purchased the RT about 2 months ago & was told by my sales person that they installed a new battery in it because it wouldn't hold a charge. It only had 1,720 miles on it & was 3 years old! At first the bike could sit for 3 or 4 days (after disconnecting it from the battery tender) before it wouldn't start on first try. Now it won't start on 1st try the next morning after driving it for at least 30 - 40 minutes, the day before. I took in into my dealer today & the service tech said all the new water cooled engines do this! Anyone had the same issue? My wife has a 2014 F700GS that starts on the first crank & so did my R1200RT.
mcwhirtj

Re: 2014 R1200RT doesn't start on 1st try

Post by mcwhirtj »

Does it idle ok once it starts?  Reason I ask is that I had an idle control module go bad on one cylinder, and it had a hard time starting in first try.  But key symptom was rough idle.  '08 RT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If you run through the info menu you will find it will give you your battery voltage once the bike is running.  Should show 14.something volts. 
And the bike should start first time every time even  if it sits for weeks. 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Don't you love when dealers say "Yes Sir they all do this" ! From my experience with my 2014 RT it has always started first time. Let the bike do its auto check functions and then hit starter. ( no throttle ). It should spin in a lively fashion on the starter and start immediately. Hope this helps.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Yep, my 2014 starts first time every time. As RT Man says, check the battery is getting a charge, also check the battery charge level once the bike has been standing. But if the battery is turning the engine over, then there should be enough charge in the battery. But if the dealer changed the battery, then that points to a charging issue.
Last edited by Casbar on Thu May 25, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pwbike »

Mine starts first time almost every time.
I had a period where it usually didn't always start first try and that was because my battery was failing, once it was replaced the problem stopped.
Peter
cSpud

Post by cSpud »

This seems to be a problem on the 1200RS also, there have been a few threads at the 1200rs forum about this. Check out this one:

http://r1200rsforums.com/threads/double ... back.3691/
There's no problem so big you can't run away from.
spud webb

Post by spud webb »

Thanks everyone, for your replies!

I tried starting my bike again this morning with the same results. It needed a double start! Thanks cSpud (I like your name also) for listing the thread about the 1200RS having the same problem. I read the thread & it does seem to point to a summer fuel mixture issue. The only thing about my issue is, if I charge the battery with my battery tender, it fires right up on 1st try, every time.  I checked the battery voltage on the menu & it said 12.3 before I hit the starter button today, although I have checked it previously & it's said 14.3 or so, but still had to double start.

I live in New York, & according to my dealer the bike is charging fine! It seems like there are many complaints on this issue, especially the R1200RS, & BMW is aware of it. My gut instinct is to purchase a new battery & try it. I'll definitely let everyone know if I figure out what is going on!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I can leave mine for a couple of weeks and when I plug in the BMW charger it will go to 14.2 V instantly.  As your seller fitted a new battery and he's a dealer ask for another.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

I have a 17 RT  left it for almost 4 weeks started first time.
Suggest your dealer is selling you a story there must be an underlying problem
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

A new battery won't solve the issue if the alternator is on it's way out.
Get it checked and the battery drop loaded. Therein should lie the problem unless it's a fuel issue, which I doubt.
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
jswisc

Post by jswisc »

I had this problem on my 14' RT. Began searching the various forums and came across someone (who seemed VERY informed) that said turn the key on and turn the throttle all the way from wide open to close 3 times and shut the ignition off. Should solve the problem. Did it 2 days ago and damned if it didn't work. Probably started the bike 15-20 times since doing the procedure and it immediately solved the problem. Unfortunately I can't remember what forum.
spud webb

Post by spud webb »

I just tried the turning the ignition on & turning the throttle from open to closed 3 times, & it didn't work on my bike. Also tried toggling the start button from off to on & that didn't work either. I've been doing some research & am going to look into the cam position sensor. Some mechanics in other forums are convinced this is the problem. The bike should start on first crank!
HavingFun

Post by HavingFun »

If you have a volt meter check the battery charge before you start.  It should read 12+ volts.  If it doesn't then either the battery is not being charged or the there is an electrical drain pulling it down while parked.

The cam will have a sensor that the electronics picks up so cam rotation should not be an issue.  Otherwise it would crush the valves.
nh_handyman
United States of America

Post by nh_handyman »

The throttle turn thing was(is?) a reset method that I recall from my '98 C - since my '16 RT is having this issue I'll give it a try.

I also heard that using the STOP button instead of the "key" (I have keyless so I press that button) solves the issue also.

BTW mine only does it in the morning (its been on its side stand for 10+ hours).