Pins and needles sensation,

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Duggie

Pins and needles sensation,

Post by Duggie »

I'm getting pins and Needles or tingling sensation in my right hand (whilst riding the bike that is !)
I've put on buddy grips to try and help, which it has slightly...but not stopped it.
Not sure what is causing the problem but it's bloody annoying.
Anyone had the same and found a solution ?? The bikes a 2015 LC
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Re: Pins and needles sensation,

Post by exportman »

Hi

Are you gripping the throttle  too tight  or putting weight through your wrist?
julianq

Post by julianq »

ImageI use one of these, some love them some hate them but allows my wrist to hold throttle as well. Just use it at the right hand end and never caused a problem once used to it.
JQ 2007 R1200RT
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

The only thing I can think of is you need to relax more. Apart from tight grip on throttle, are you tense in arms and upper body. Do you ride with rigid straight arms. If you are relaxed then the only thing I can think of is when the road allows select cruise control and relax your throttle hand every once in a while. If I'm riding tense ( even though I think I'm relaxed ) I get a pain in my right shoulder blade. This goes when I truly relax.
Duggie

Post by Duggie »

Thanks for the replies.
I'm not gripping too tight, I couldn't be any more relaxed or I'll fall off the bike..
I've tried different gloves, and also a different jacket just in case something's a bit tight on the wrist or elbow.
The buddy grips have helped in such away that I can ride a longer distance before the tingling kicks in.
Can you buy anything to alter the angle of the bars ? Or risers maybe...?

Duggie
Last edited by Duggie on Sat May 27, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

It could be something to do with the set up of the bike. The reason I say this is that over the years I've had loads of bikes but only had a problem similar to yours on one which incidentally was an FJR 1300 ( had 4 others which were all ok.) This was in the days before Grip Puppies etc and I ended up taping foam to the grip to lessen the effect. The bike suffered a major issue (never knew what, causing inability to turn the engine) which forced me to trade it at a severe disadvantage. Not saying the vibration I felt had anything to do with it but you never know. When the RT TC first came out, I rode a Demonstrator and a low mileage pre owned back to back. The pre owned was a 'buzzy' bike and started to affect my right hand after a short while. Hence I went straight back to the Dealer and took the Demonstrator out which didn't buzz at all.
There are people on here with the knowledge to explain if there is something on the bike that can be balanced, and if out of balance, could cause the buzz and therefore the pins and needles which you are suffering from.
A bit of a ramble I know, but it may lead to a knowledgeable bod coming up with something more helpful. Hope you can sort it.
Chris
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Heavier bar end weights might help... buy some or add small strips of lead to the OE ones.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Littlebriar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Littlebriar »

These bar risers raise the bars 41mm up and back. They helped me a great deal. I'm not sure where you live but they are US based. It's a good idea to rent the removal tools that they offer. With it, it's quite easy to install yourself. I had similar problems while riding bicycles and found my problem was related to angle of my wrist.
Steve
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

I run into that problem on my right hand also. Only when I wear gloves with the velcro wrist strap to tight. MX racing 500s back in the day would put my hands to sleep.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Had the same issue. Put grip puppies on which helped. But now the bike has done 10k and haven't noticed any tingling for months. So I am assuming the engine is now loosened up and the vibration has gone
ds99

Post by ds99 »

i had the same problem

i got a pair of heavier bar end weight from manicsalamander.com

but... the website does not seem to work anymore
Last edited by ds99 on Wed May 31, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

manic salamander now sells on ebay under the username manicsalamander

see here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/manicsalamand ... =12&_rdc=1