Screen cleaner

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
Cas21

Screen cleaner

Post by Cas21 »

i always clean my screen by giving it a good soak to soften the little bugs and then wash it as normal.
Keep looking at Rainex to give me better vision when the heavens have opened
Any views or indeed better tips?
Cheers
Levisp

Re: Screen cleaner

Post by Levisp »

I always look over my screen so for me its my visor that needs to shed water for clearer vision. However to protect my screen, make getting bugs off easier and bead water I use a wax. A pure wax has no abrasives so will not harm your screen. I use Poorboy's Natty's Blue Liquid Wax. Also heard good reports of Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax.
chrisvh

Post by chrisvh »

Only use the the Rainex specialy formulated for plastic. The normal car Rainex causes problems I believe.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Several companies make rain repellent for plastic
Only one I am comfortable using is RAIN B GONE by Cee Bailey's
Works as advertised, needs reapplying after several hours of heavy rain though
Jim
leonjennings

Post by leonjennings »

old fashioned pink windowlene
2012 SE
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

leonjennings wrote: old fashioned pink windowlene

Now that's a blast from the past  ;)
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

leonjennings wrote: old fashioned pink windowlene

I'm sure it cleans but will it protect ? The point about using a pure wax is that it protects. Basically modern waxes once cured act as a barrier. They also add shine ( note they do not polish ) and bead water very effectively. I get many comments about how clean my bike is and I'm often asked how I do it. Basically I use a car wash and plenty of low pressure water from a hose. However because most of the bike is protected in wax the dirt does not get ingrained into the paintwork and washes off easily.

The screen gets a battering from bugs. Clean carelessly and it will soon get scratched. When I get back from a ride I cover the screen with wet J-Cloths and leave from a few minutes to soften the crud and then clean. I try to be as gently as possible. The screen gets waxed probably every month.
blastfurnace

Post by blastfurnace »

I'm a big fan of plexus.  Been using it for years on my windshields and visors.
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Levisp wrote:
I'm sure it cleans but will it protect ? The point about using a pure wax is that it protects. Basically modern waxes once cured act as a barrier. They also add shine ( note they do not polish ) and bead water very effectively. I get many comments about how clean my bike is and I'm often asked how I do it. Basically I use a car wash and plenty of low pressure water from a hose. However because most of the bike is protected in wax the dirt does not get ingrained into the paintwork and washes off easily.

The screen gets a battering from bugs. Clean carelessly and it will soon get scratched. When I get back from a ride I cover the screen with wet J-Cloths and leave from a few minutes to soften the crud and then clean. I try to be as gently as possible. The screen gets waxed probably every month.

Very much agree. I use a wet towel to soften bugs etc, the carefully wipe off.    I am a fan of a good quality wax on the screen and  helmet visor. It improves visibility in wet weather.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I don't use any sort of protection because doing at least 250 motorway miles each week - plus whatever I decide to do as social riding on the weekend - anything I put on would wear off pretty quickly. For removing the bugs - and for most other cleaning around the bike short of a full wash - I just use 'all purpose cleaner'. I was put onto this by a car detailer I worked with a few years ago. He swore by it for hand cleaning and I have to say it seems to work well for me. I just spray it on, give it a few seconds to loosen stuff up, then wipe it down using a microfiber cloth. Sometimes I have to use a second application for stubborn bugs.

I should also add that despite doing an average of 1k miles per month, a lot of it on the motorway, I have never had a screen go cloudy on me. I think the plastics used in modern screens are fairly robust - as long as you don't use abrasives on them.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

blastfurnace wrote: I'm a big fan of plexus.  Been using it for years on my windshields and visors.
Same here.  I don't know if you can get Plexus in the UK, but if you can, give it a try.  It was designed originally for the aviation industry, and is very high quality stuff.  Acts as an anti-fog agent, cleans, fills small scratches, and seals.

[attachimg=1]
Attachments
Plexus_Plastic_Cleaner__Protectant_And_Polish_zoom.jpg
Plexus_Plastic_Cleaner__Protectant_And_Polish_zoom.jpg (15.6 KiB) Viewed 2189 times
BMW MOA #210438
paulgelineau

Post by paulgelineau »

Been a pilot and aircraft owner since 1987.  After a flight I always use warm soapy water, soft cloth, rinse and dry.  Then Plexus for the polish.  It's made by BTI and I've always gotten mine from Aircraft Spruce.
Thought I'd try it on my 2015 R1200RT and partner's 2014 F800GT.  Great results.  No haze or fogging after a season of riding here in the Okanogan Highlands of WA USA.
This isn't a promote.  Just thought I'd pass along what works for us.
Cheers,
Paul G.
pkpilot

Post by pkpilot »

paulgelineau wrote: Been a pilot and aircraft owner since 1987.  After a flight I always use warm soapy water, soft cloth, rinse and dry.  Then Plexus for the polish.  It's made by BTI and I've always gotten mine from Aircraft Spruce.
Thought I'd try it on my 2015 R1200RT and partner's 2014 F800GT.  Great results.  No haze or fogging after a season of riding here in the Okanogan Highlands of WA USA.
This isn't a promote.  Just thought I'd pass along what works for us.
Cheers,
Paul G.
I have found that Pledge works on both my aircraft and motorcycle windscreen quite well.  Much less expensive too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Pledge for me too, applied after a good thorough wash with normal car shampoo.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 219 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

An old thread I appreciate but still relevant.

Plexus, much loved but a bit pricey @ £30+ from Amazon

Clearview which does the same job @ £13.99, if only they did it in a small pump spray bottle for visors -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154803615863?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=HtRlzljaQDW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=PpUzP1hWSH2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Last edited by Steve398 on Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.