advanced riding course

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

advanced riding course

Post by michaelc2710 »

Has anyone been on an advanced riding course? I've been riding for approximately 25 yrs but just fancy going on one for the experience.

Did you get anything from the course?
Would you recommend doing a course?
Does anyone know of a course in the North

Many thanks
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Re: advanced riding course

Post by k9doc »

Way back I did a course with a retired police instructor, a regular and sensible contributor on another BMW forum. Two days intense one to one up in the Dales. Hard work and exhausting but boy did I learn some stuff. Best bike related money I've ever spent. Mick subsequently finished training and spent more time on guided tours. He passed the business on to the chap in the link and highly rates his abilities. That is a recommendation which in my view carries a lot of credibility. Not too far from you as Sheffield based

https://www.advancedridingtechniques.info/

Last edited by k9doc on Mon May 29, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Dogbreath

Post by Dogbreath »

I'd been riding around 25 years when, about 4 years ago, I decided to take a "Bikesafe" weekend with the local police.
It was very good and you get detailed feedback on your riding and great advice on road positioning etc.
Whilst there the local IAM were promoting there club so I decided to join and eventually passed my advanced riding test.

Go for it. It'll be the best money you spend.
Oldbrook

Post by Oldbrook »

Hi I did the course last year and found it a very interesting course, I have been riding 20 years and like you just fancied doing it. It shows you a completely different way of riding by a observer who is part of your local group, and then a test by a IAM examiner. Go on IAM website and search for your local group and they will help you. I also saved £50 on my insurance through the IAM surety scheme. Dave
2011 R1200RT Polar metalic
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

BikeSafe could be a good place to start, it "Bridges the Gap" between passing your test & post test training with the likes of IAM, RoSPA or E.R.S.

The nearest to you looks like Lancashire, based at Accrington Fire Station.

Bury and Rochdale Advanced Motorists groups which caters for both cars and motorcycles, https://www.iamroadsmart.com/groups/buryrochdale

In the North-West, for RoSPA, see Manchester Advanced Drivers and Riders, https://www.roadar.org.uk/groups/north- ... riders.htm

Enhanced Rider Scheme (E.R.S.) Salford, Manchester & the surrounding areas, by RJH Motorbike Training.
Last edited by David. on Tue May 30, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Haven't done BikeSafe, but have experience of IAM, RoSPA & the likes of E.R.S.

For me, IAM was a good place to start, my local group delivered the course over a period of about 6 weeks.
Comprehensive classroom sessions were followed by a rideout paired up with an observer to develop the skills covered in the classroom each week.

RoSPA was done on a 1-2-1 basis by arrangement with the tutor. The RoSPA test is graded as Bronze, Silver or Gold.
The Gold award is the highest a civilian motorcyclist can achieve. To maintain membership, the test has to be re-taken every 3 years.

Locally, there was a "Handle It or Loose It" course, now Ridewell Tees Valley run be two ex-police motorcyclists. These courses are run over 2 days, IMO, they cram too much into a short space of time. They are a good top-up after the likes of IAM or RoSPA. Initially, I think they are aimed at folks who don't see the IAM or RoSPA as "their bag". There is no formal qualification at the end of it.

Yes, I got a lot out of "post test training" and would recommend to anyone.
Last edited by David. on Tue May 30, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

michaelc2710 wrote: Has anyone been on an advanced riding course? I've been riding for approximately 25 yrs but just fancy going on one for the experience.

Did you get anything from the course?
Would you recommend doing a course?
Does anyone know of a course in the North

Many thanks
Hi michaelc2710,
I've only riding for the last nine years, and I did a Avon & Somerset Constab run course called 'Ride to Arrive' in my second year of riding. The course was like an extended BikeSafe course but over a full weekend. Very useful key post test skills (slow riding, enhanced observation etc) were picked up by myself on that course. I went on to do my IAM accreditation with the BAM (Bristol Advanced Motorcyclists), and then on to volunteer for the local BloodBikes group (which require an advanced riding accreditation). Yes, I would recommend such courses to even a seasoned rider like yourself, as there's always something you can learn from the advanced riders, Police or otherwise. Being a Southern boy, I can't vouch for such courses in the North!
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Did my IAM about 17 years ago. Decided a refresher would not go amiss so booked a day with Rapid Training. Had a great day one to one with an ex police rider. Did about 200 miles on every sort of road going from single lane road to dual carriageways. Covered a lot. Really enjoyable and good to get a check on your riding skills. It makes you think. That was two years ago. Will certainly do it again.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Did a intense 5 day course with a company in Wales, called 1st class rider training. Run by ex and serving police instructors. End of the week did both the IAMand ROSPA tests. Brilliant learnt loads. Needed one of the tests for blood biking. Both tests very similar so go with which ever suits. Money well spent
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Levisp wrote:Did my IAM about 17 years ago. Decided a refresher would not go amiss.
The IAM gives you exactly what it says in the tin, "A Skill for Life". Picture this, you can pass the IAM test at 17 and still be an "advanced rider" at 70.

As posted earlier, the RoSPA test requires a 3 yearly re-test to maintain membership.
Did my IAM test in 2005, and RoSPA in both 2009 & 2013, four years between tests was a good time to have a refresher.
Last edited by David. on Tue May 30, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

IAM now has a fellows option which requires a re test every 3 years.

I have been riding for over 40 years offand on  did my IAM 10 years ago and stayed on to become an observer.  Still learning even after  10 years but its good fun and being an observer with regular retests ( National observer and Local Observer assessor ) keep my skill up to standard.

Check out your local groups  all offer a slightly different way of delivering the course.  see if it fits with your requirements.  Some will tell you it saves on insurance  some people it will others it wont but it may just save your life which is probably worth just a little more.

michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Thanks to everybody for your comments,

I'll let you know which one I book and let you know my thoughts when completed.

Thanks

Again
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

exportman wrote: IAM now has a fellows option which requires a re test every 3 years.

I have been riding for over 40 years offand on  did my IAM 10 years ago and stayed on to become an observer.  Still learning even after  10 years but its good fun and being an observer with regular retests ( National observer and Local Observer assessor ) keep my skill up to standard.

Check out your local groups  all offer a slightly different way of delivering the course.  see if it fits with your requirements.  Some will tell you it saves on insurance  some people it will others it wont but it may just save your life which is probably worth just a little more.

That's a good idea, but if you fail the retest, aren't you out of the IAM. So many I know won't go for it. At least with ROSPA there are the 3 grades, so if you don't get a gold you will probably get a silver. In our blood bike group, IAM members have to have a 3 yearly check ride.
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

Advanced training will always improve your riding and will often correct bad habits you didn't even know you had. Bikesafe days are great. I enjoyed the IAM course but could not reach test standard so never took the final test.  I have also had a couple of days out with a local riding school offering advanced training, which was also beneficial.
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Post by leonjennings »

MEM62 wrote: Advanced training will always improve your riding and will often correct bad habits you didn't even know you had. Bikesafe days are great. I enjoyed the IAM course but could not reach test standard so never took the final test.  I have also had a couple of days out with a local riding school offering advanced training, which was also beneficial.

keep trying you will pass!

2012 SE