Late June Meeting of the 'Northern Monkeys'

Want to arrange a local meet or ride out with like minded people? Then please post about it in this section with all the details and dates.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Re: Late June Meeting of the 'Northern Monkeys'

Post by k9doc »

Paggers wrote: I reckon I might finally be able to make this one. Regarding the above route - looks good, but I couldn't work out which is the start / meeting point? (Sorry if I'm just being thick and can't see the words in front of my face, etc.)
Apologies for that. I will edit the post and look forward to meeting up.
Chris
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

k9doc wrote: Carrying over from the other thread, we had such a good time on 3rd June that there was enthusiastic support for another meet in June.
The 24th has been proposed and the Yorkshire Dales has been suggested as a destination. Would interested parties make themselves known and the planning can then commence (in good time).
Sorry to say can't make that date. Off to Assen Moto GP and taking a Northern Europe tour with the Management. Shame really cos you Monkeys are good lads. Will take some pics ( not as good as official photographer) and will take my Givi top box. Can't do with all that BMW top box wobbliness. Chris - if you're on point please be respectful to the rare butterfly species - your ram air system can be highly destructive. Put my C&O toastie on hold until Tewkesbury. Have a good trip guys.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Mike wrote:Please be respectful to the rare butterfly species - your ram air system can be highly destructive.
Not only can an oil cooler guard be a WMD for wildlife, Nippy Norman advises that.

"The radiator cover can cause the engine to overheat under extreme conditions with high outside temperatures and an extreme engine load."
Last edited by David. on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Shame you can't make the next one but the consolation prize doesn't look too shabby. My top box wobbles (as I tried to explain the other day) as an aid to high speed aerodynamics and I've adjusted mine to achieve maximum 'down force' or whatever it's called. Likewise the turbo intake has been retro fitted with a butterfly deflector so all will be well. Don't worry about the toastie, we'll have no problem sharing yours between us and don't over do the sauerkraut and frankfurters in compensation.
Look forward to the piccies  but the bar has been set very high so your best efforts will be required.

Was good to meet Howard and your good self the other day and look forward to the next time. Have a good tour and don't be missing us too much.
Chris
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote:

"The radiator cover can cause the engine to overheat under extreme conditions with high outside temperatures and an extreme engine load."
Not a problem on either count then unless I go touring 3 up, full luggage, in Death Valley. The good looks makes up in spades for the potential engine meltdown. If that happens, I could scrape a bit of paint off and try for a Warranty claim so all bases covered. Not sleeping anyway due to potential tyre explosion so the extra worry is of no concern. Regarding wildlife, see above. The adaptation has been personally approved by David Attenborough no less.
Last edited by k9doc on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Just off to cancel my new tyres fitting as it's pi$$ing down. New rubber and wet tyres, not a good combo I think, and the plug is still holding. No explosions to date. (Sweat dripping onto keyboard as I type).

Edit;  New rubber and wet roads
Last edited by k9doc on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:"The radiator cover can cause the engine to overheat under extreme conditions with high outside temperatures and an extreme engine load."
Those clever guys at BMW have come up with a solution, an oil cooler fan, as fitted to RTP's

Reverse the direction of rotation of the fan and it'll save the wildlife, as approved by DA.
Last edited by David. on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: Those clever guys at BMW have come up with a solution, an oil cooler fan, as fitted to RTP's

Reverse the direction of rotation of the fan and it'll save the wildlife, as approved by DA.
Just the thing, I'll put one on my Christmas list.

Bugger the reverse thrust though. That will spoil my class leading mpg figures which before anyone chips in, are achieved through skillful use of gears and not dawdling around.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The LC's are indeed factory fitted with a bug busting cooling fan, may be a contributory factor in their lower than average fuel consumption, compared to that of the TC's, as witness by the NM's.
Last edited by David. on Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

k9doc wrote:
We are refining our backup plan should the weather turn against us and this will again be based from Wetherby but heading SE towards the Lincolnshire Wolds. More later on that.

Hedging our bets on the weather, David and I decided that the best option might be to go for the opposite quadrant as it were.

Our time constraints prevent us from reaching the Wolds, so, with this in mind, we have come up with the following route.

It's not easy to become over excited in North Lincolnshire but we've done our best and we've called this route 'the River Run' for reasons which will become apparent.
Our first stop will be the Yorkshire Waterways Museum with a brew by the canal. We then follow the West bank of the River Trent down to Gainsborough to have lunch at the Trent Port pub again with a view of the river.
Our return route will follow the River Don back up North.

133 miles, approx. 4 hrs riding time.

Again it would be a 1030 depart from Morrison's Car Park, Wetherby.

Should this run not be necessary as a backup, we think that it would be a good one to store away for a future event.

Image                                                     

Last edited by k9doc on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
scunny1

Post by scunny1 »

The route is flat but relatively quiet roads and very windy from Goole to Gainsborough basically  following the Trent Valley. My local area so shouldn't get lost. :))
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

scunny1 wrote:My local area.
Could be useful for a local "live" nowcast on the weather.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

scunny1 wrote: The route is flat but relatively quiet roads and very windy from Goole to Gainsborough basically  following the Trent Valley. My local area so shouldn't get lost. :) )
Good to get a local opinion. I've done most of the route a few times and would agree with your assessment. A treat in store then.  :)
Chris
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

If anyone else will be heading over from the Manchester area and would be interested in meeting up somewhere for the ride to Wetherby then please give me a shout.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Paggers wrote: If anyone else will be heading over from the Manchester area and would be interested in meeting up somewhere for the ride to Wetherby then please give me a shout.

michaelc2710 & myself are from Manchester and would be happy to meet you for the ride to Wetherby.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)