The Deed Is Done

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

Re: The Deed Is Done

Post by guest2360 »

UKDucatiman wrote: A really amazing looking machine, which is going to open up a whole new chapter of vehicle ownership for you. Whats the service schedule like?

Better than the RT.  First service after 3000 miles then every 9000 miles  or 12 months  Price about the same as BMW,  Not quite so good on fuel though, been told to expect about 45mpg in normal mode.  Does weigh considerable more though so thats probably the reason. 
LAF

Post by LAF »

A guy in our club went to one a few years ago. 

He has a Motor Home and hauls it behind all over the USA.  Him and his wife love it for many reasons.  Stability, storage, reverse(do miss the LT) and if you are in Yellowstone Park or the Grand Canyon or Bryce National Parks you are not really at touring speeds so the steering does not matter.

He does not do club rides with us as he can not keep up with us comfortably.  He admits that and is fine with it.

Me as I age I will move down to a lighter smaller bike.  Since I am all banged up with metal in neck and right arm this decision si coming on as I feel it at 60.  Not sure I will make 70 before the choice.

I wont go to three wheels no disrespect.  It is the reason I never owned a side car.  To me leaning, and counter steering is the fun of riding a motorcycle.

If I cant buy a bike I like I will buy a little convertible car.  The new Fiat Spider looks cool.  A Miata would be cool.   

Just cant see spending that kind of money, and I know you can throw $30,000.00 into one quick here in the USA, and not really getting the driving experience of a motorcycle or a fun car is too expensive for me.

That is me, everyone enjoys different things.  It is a nice looking piece of machinery for sure.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Interesting piece of kit.  Look forward to hearing your comparisons to the RT!
ITB

Post by ITB »

LAF wrote: ...
If I cant buy a bike I like I will buy a little convertible car.  The new Fiat Spider looks cool.  A Miata would be cool...

Consider a used BMW convertible -- my wife doesn't ride pillion much but she does enjoy riding/driving our "retirement" car, a 2004 325ci. Smoooooth straight six, manual 5-speed, rear wheel drive, heated seats for chilly night drives, handles like a dream. It's not teeny tiny like a Miata or Spider, pretty comfy really. We found ours locally on Craigslist a couple of years ago at 100k mi in great condition. Seller was buying a new Mini convertible and the trade-in value was a joke so they sold it to us for $5500.
mcwhirtj

Post by mcwhirtj »

In the short time I've been on this forum, I've come to recognize your presence as valuable and your commentary saged.  Glad to hear you'll still be contributing, and hope the Spyder works out well for you. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gman1969

Post by Gman1969 »

Enjoy the new ride, its nice to have a change every now and then :)
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

So Jon, are you going to change your log on name to TrikeBoy  8)  Or RT no more man10 ?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Casbar wrote: So Jon, are you going to change your log on name to TrikeBoy  8)  Or RT no more man10 ?
[/quote

Funny that.  As its called a Spyder RT I don't need to.  Always knew they spelt things oddly over there.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

RTMan, come winter you'll be laughing your socks off.
When the snow arrives we'll all be whining whilst all you need to do is fit the tracks back on and you've got a snowmobile!
:alas:
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Cleverbee wrote: RTMan, come winter you'll be laughing your socks off.
When the snow arrives we'll all be whining whilst all you need to do is fit the tracks back on and you've got a snowmobile!
:alas:

Good idea except it's never going to see anything salty or icy.  Not for what it's cost.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

Sprintgull wrote: Interesting piece of kit. Look forward to hearing your comparisons to the RT!
+1
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

There as common as muck... on our way from Troyes to St Quentin  saw 4 of the blighters! One was towing  a collapsible tent trailer!
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

smileymiley wrote: There as common as muck... on our way from Troyes to St Quentin  saw 4 of the blighters! One was towing  a collapsible tent trailer!

A trailer tent, fantastic.  Did you catch the make.  I could pitch it outside the hotel in Fort William .
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Got the thing home today 50 miles of bends from Stamford to Nottingham just about sorted the steering technique need but take your mind of the task for a second and it tries to kill,you.  It's beautifully put together though and her behind is chuffed.
Reg number is causing family problems.  According to my kids whose inheritance has suddenly shrunk AF stands for Aging Fart and the last three LBL is Left bloody left.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Might I suggest AL = Actually Laughing, since you found out how good it is . Whilst LBL could be Left Blumming Little since you've spent the kids inheritance.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?