The Deed Is Done

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

Re: The Deed Is Done

Post by guest2360 »

Thought some of you might be interested in my early observations on my desertion to the very dark side with the extra wheel.  First the pros
It doesn't fall over easily
Masses of room for two both seat wise and luggage space.
Amazing weather protection.
Engine feels much smoother than the RT with more torque to hand
Better dash that allows the digital speedo no matter what you have on the screen.
Very high quality finish .
Heated grips for the pillion.
Proper reverse gear and every change up or down is quiet and clutchless.
Now the cons.
You have to learn to ride again.
Steering smoothly is an art still in the making.
It makes a big hole in your life's savings
No filtering
Difficult to see where your going with the plastic bag on the head.
Bikers ignor you.
At the end of the day though with wife no longer willing to jump,on the RT it's a very good alternative to keep you on the road and it's great fun.  I have 2 months to get it to go in the direction I decide before a Scottish tour .

Attachments
IMG_1607.JPG
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Looks good RTman  Image
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Looks a great piece of kit.  Keep the observations coming, there's a chance I may be headed the same way in a couple of years.....
Topphoto1

Post by Topphoto1 »

Looks awesome, I am sure it will be a blast in the right direction, would love to have a go lol, I can see that weaving in traffic won't be a problem 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔, shame bikers ignore you, probably jealous. Good luck Mr.RTman
Smile you ride a BMW.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have found the first problem.  Bikers might ignor me but stop and you soon end up with a crowd all with the same question "what's that".
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Congratulations on the purchase & the enjoyment factor.

Hope all goes well with it, especially glad you are not leaving the forum.  Just like a previous post - I have come to enjoy your comments & advice.
Best regards, Sleuth
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Jon you need to change your bike details from this - [size=0.85em]2014 R1200RT LE Nav V Autocom Logic Weather Set
  • [/size]

To 3 wheel jockey with that rubbish Blue Tooth stuff that will never be as good as Autocom 8) [/list]
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Casbar wrote: Jon you need to change your bike details from this - [size=0.85em]2014 R1200RT LE Nav V Autocom Logic Weather Set
  • [/size][/font]

To 3 wheel jockey with that rubbish Blue Tooth stuff that will never be as good as Autocom  8)
:)) :))
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Ya, I'll get round to that and it might say just that.
daveckelley

Post by daveckelley »

Can't lane split, so I don't see the reason to own a three wheeler. So Cal traffic and weather calls for 2 wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
R1200RT Ebony 2016
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

For the few times you can in UK I'm starting to realise three has very few disadvantages here over two and an auful lot of advantages. But each to his own.  I now have a much happier pillion and a lot lighter wallet.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: For the few times you can in UK I'm starting to realise three has very few disadvantages here over two and an auful lot of advantages. But each to his own.  I now have a much happier pillion and a lot lighter wallet.

Really, I lane split a lot, its the main advantage of having two wheels, so think that is you just justifying your choice  8)  As for pillion just leave her behind - lol
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Me thinks it's the only advantage.  Can't do the second suggestion.  She holds the purse strings as apparently I loose it all the time. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I agree, but a big advantage. You just don't want to ride a bike anymore and can't bear to not get the use out of your bike kit and Helmets  :whistle:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just fancy something a bit more challenging as well as the other reasons.  And I still hate these Bluetooth thingys. Blue lights red light, press this jog that, bloody nightmare.