brake failure light

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
arkmark

brake failure light

Post by arkmark »

2012 r1200rt,  Sat. I had intermittent brake failure light coming on and off, everything continued to work fine.  read the code and it said it was a low voltage issue.  (battery checks good so does charging system)  I reset the code and go ride.  everything seems to be fine but after a bit light comes back on.  Then on next trip I take off and notice the speedo isn't moving, after a short time it starts working again.  That is now what it is doing overtime on first start up.  Check the code again and it says rear speed sensor this time.  I pull out the sensor to check the wires and make sure there isn't anything stuck to the end of it, it looks fine.  but I notice the oil on it is a bit milky.  more of my rides lately have been in the rain than the shine so apparently my final drive had a taken on a bit of water.  So last night I changed the oil, reset code and rode.  speedo didn't work immediately and light came on then speedo started working and light went off.  next start up same thing.  rode a bit got it nice and warm and the light came on and stayed, came home changed the oil again, and the code is still for the rear wheel sensor.

1. is it possible that the milky oil effected the sensors ability to read correctly?
2. what else can you think of that could be going on?

Thanks in advance for any help
sepossivel

Re: brake failure light

Post by sepossivel »

replace the cable is  not option?
I damaged the cable this weekend after playing with the shaft .. didn't put the wire back  correctly.

Might be all you need a new sensor
SW - loving it  - ZXR6 - 1200 RT