Photos from my Irish trip

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Photos from my Irish trip

Post by Sullivj »

After 1,400 miles over 10 days, I'm now back home from Ireland.

The tie down on the Stena Line very was very good. They get the bikes on first, and you park nose on against the wall. There's dedicated bays for bikes, and you have plenty of room to move around the bikes - unlike when I've been to France or the Isle of Man.

We experienced some of the most appalling weather I've ever ridden in, and the roads were not great, but the views were amazing.

The bike went well, despite needing an oil top up. Thanks to David and RTMan for giving me guidance on which oil I needed. The local BMW car dealer managed to get some in for me the next day, albeit it was Euro 28 for a litre.

I thought I had an issue with my suspension adjustment, but having read the manual when I got home (should have taken it with me),I realised it was operator error - dohh!

It's going to take quite some time to clean the bike to how I like it.

Last edited by Sullivj on Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Photos from my Irish trip

Post by David. »

Welcome home John, pleased you got sorted with your oil, did you have a leak or was it just normal consumption.

What was the "operator error" with the suspension?

Plenty of time between now & Tewkesbury to clean the bike.
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

On the way there, I parked the bike and noticed a drop of oil on the floor. Since then, it hasn't leaked, so I presume that drop wasn't mine. However, the level was low and it took 300ml to correct it. BMW serviced it about 1,000 miles ago, so I'm guessing they didn't put enough in. In the last 1,000 miles, it hasn't moved again, so I don't think it's leaking now.

The operator error is a bit embarrassing.. I thought that I needed to press and hold the ASC button to change the luggage / pillion options on the suspension set up. As everyone (apart from me!) will know, this turns off the ASC, and displays a warning triangle. I took the triangle to mean that there was an issue with the suspension unit. I even went to the trouble of unplugging it and the battery, but it didn't help....! Having looked in the manual, I now know that I need to hold the ESA button at a standstill to make the adjustment.

So I've ridden for 1,400 miles, wondering how much a new unit will be, when there was no need. Idiot.

So I've learnt two things... Check the oil more often, and take the riders manual on holiday.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sullivj wrote:However, the level was low and it took 300ml to correct it. BMW serviced it about 1,000 miles ago, so I'm guessing they didn't put enough in.
Did you check the oil level when the engine was cold or hot. Following a service/oil & filter change, BMW will have run the engine to fill the oil filter & get the oil around the engine, therefore, the level will have been checked with a warm engine. Once the engine cools & is cold, the oil level will drop. If the oil level can be seen in the sight glass (with a hot engine),  it's between the MIN & MAX levels, the difference between the two is 500ml. I like to check mine at home with a cold engine, with the oil level being visible at the top of the sight glass.
Sullivj wrote:In the last 1,000 miles, it hasn't moved again.
That's good, what mileage has the bike now done in total.
Sullivj wrote:I now know that I need to hold the ESA button at a standstill to make the adjustment.
With the engine running.
Last edited by David. on Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

I checked it cold, and the level was at the very bottom of the sight glass. With the 300ml added, it's nearly at the top when cold. I think it could do with another 100ml, but didn't want to overfill it until I was sure.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sullivj wrote:I checked it cold, and the level was at the very bottom of the sight glass. With the 300ml added, it's nearly at the top when cold. I think it could do with another 100ml, but didn't want to overfill it until I was sure.
That probably confirms that BMW checked it when the engine was hot & the oil level would be higher than with a cold engine.

I like mine to be near the top of the sight glass when cold, yes I know the level will rise when the engine gets hot, but it hasn't blown up yet.

I don't understand why BMW can't give an oil level with a cold engine. It makes sense to me to check/top up the level with a cold engine at home before setting off.
Last edited by David. on Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

And of course if the bike is just a bit out of bolt upright you will get a false reading.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I'll just pop in the garage & check the floor with a spirit level.

Oh dear, it's not level, will have to make a wedge shaped piece of wood to put under the centre stand.
Last edited by David. on Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topphoto1

Post by Topphoto1 »

Nice pics. Shame about the weather. I take it you are all solo riders, noticed no panniers but top boxes, assume it helps in traffic not to have panniers!
Smile you ride a BMW.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

A tripod will be most stable on uneven ground.
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Topphoto1 wrote: Nice pics. Shame about the weather. I take it you are all solo riders, noticed no panniers but top boxes, assume it helps in traffic not to have panniers!

Still enjoyable, and the heating and fairing of the RT meant that I was much drier and warmer than all my friends.

A few of us (like me), did use panniers, but removed them once we got to our holiday rental and unpacked. Some of the back roads have grass down the middle, and are only really wide enough for one car. Passing is easier without the panniers on.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Great pics thanks for sharing  :)  a shame the weather wasn't on your side  ???
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

simbo wrote: Great pics thanks for sharing  :)  a shame the weather wasn't on your side  ???
p

I have heard of some who managed a trip to Ireland without being rained on, but not many  8)
Frank123

Post by Frank123 »

Ha, just back from 5 days on the Irish 'Wild Atlantic Way' route (Galway going North). The weather was so bad (wind/rain) last Thursday I took the car Dublin to Galway (left my RT at home) and borrowed a 34 year old R80 (see photo) from a friend. I found the seating and tank arrangement on the R80 are much more comfortable than the RT. Makes me wonder why an old bike is so much more comfortable, is this progress!
Attachments
IMG_2766.JPG
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Frank123 wrote: Ha, just back from 5 days on the Irish 'Wild Atlantic Way' route (Galway going North). The weather was so bad (wind/rain) last Thursday I took the car Dublin to Galway (left my RT at home) and borrowed a 34 year old R80 (see photo) from a friend. I found the seating and tank arrangement on the R80 are much more comfortab
[size=78%]le than the RT. Makes me wonder why an old bike is so much more comfortable, is this progress![/size]

I used to have two R80RT they were comfortable, the only thing I remember was the numb hand from vibration, but not much has changed there either :)