Slip-on exhaust for LC R1200 RT

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Paggers

Slip-on exhaust for LC R1200 RT

Post by Paggers »

I'm thinking of getting something a bit more sporty in the exhaust department for my 2017 RT. Has anyone fitted the BMW-supplied HP Akrapovic can? Are there any other options people suggest I should look at?

I don't want anything too noisy or that drones at motorway speeds - just something that will add a bit of a tuneful rasp when I crank the throttle a bit. Not too expensive would be nice as well!
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Slip-on exhaust for LC R1200 RT

Post by Casbar »

Yep fitted the Akro, really like it. Still has the baffles in, so not too noisy. I bought mine off a German BMW dealer, shipped it was quite a bit cheaper than UK. But now with the currency vs Euro, that boat has sailed. I stuck with the BMW approved one, in case of any warranty issues, and sure enough my exhaust flap broke, but they were fine with replacing the headers, I wondered what they would have said if I had a different can on.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

I went for the Remus Hexacone option, again from Europe due to exchange rate at the time.  Generally I would say the Akrapovic is "one stop" sportier than BMW and Remus is "one stop" sportier than Akrapovic.  I tried it with the DB killer out but decided it was better at cruising speed with it back in again:-) Peter
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Peter Baker wrote: I went for the Remus Hexacone option, again from Europe due to exchange rate at the time.  Generally I would say the Akrapovic is "one stop" sportier than BMW and Remus is "one stop" sportier than Akrapovic.  I tried it with the DB killer out but decided it was better at cruising speed with it back in again:-) Peter

Do you think BMW would push back if there were any warranty issues, because its a non BMW recommended can?
RaistlinRTCW

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

I have the Akra with the DB killer and I really enjoy it without it being too loud cruising. well you don't hear it so much anyway
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Thanks chaps. I hadn't really thought about the potential warranty issues. With that in mind I reckon I'll stick with the BMW option and get the dealer to fit it at my 6k service in a month or so. Nice to know that you can remove the baffles so I have at least two choices of sound.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Paggers wrote: Thanks chaps. I hadn't really thought about the potential warranty issues. With that in mind I reckon I'll stick with the BMW option and get the dealer to fit it at my 6k service in a month or so. Nice to know that you can remove the baffles so I have at least two choices of sound.

The baffle screws on my Akro have a weld on them, although you can easily break the weld if you feel the need to remove the baffles
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Casbar wrote: Do you think BMW would push back if there were any warranty issues, because its a non BMW recommended can?
It is possible but I have a good dealer and a good relationship with them and so I am not worried.  I think it is all about how reasonable the changes are...  Remus are well known and have type approval in the EU so it would be tricky for BMW to argue that one I think.  In the issues I have had with BMW they have been very fair.  I had corrosion on the engine side of my K1600 and they fixed it with a new short block/gearbox from memory.  The guys from the workshop said it was easy to get it approved from BMW UK as the rest of the machine was clean/well looked after...  Plus I brought it from them and they service it so might help too!  Peter
RaistlinRTCW

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

The single bolt on my Akra wasn't welded , and came out easy enough when I removed the db killer. I know a few people have found that it was difficult to remove if the bike had been ridden for a bit, and had to let it cool fully.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RaistlinRTCW wrote: The single bolt on my Akra wasn't welded , and came out easy enough when I removed the db killer. I know a few people have found that it was difficult to remove if the bike had been ridden for a bit, and had to let it cool fully.

My HP Akro bolt is defiantly welded, wonder if its because it came from a German BMW dealer and they have different rules in Germany.
pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pwbike »

Casbar wrote: My HP Akro bolt is defiantly welded...
Probably just a rogue welder that often acts defiantly  ;-)
Peter
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

pwbike wrote: Probably just a rogue welder that often acts defiantly  ;-)

:alas:
Taz

Post by Taz »

Caspar, where in Germany did you buy your Akra exhaust?

Thanks.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Motorradhaus, Bohling u. Eisele & Co. GmbH

807 Euro delivered - this was in May 15
RaistlinRTCW

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

It might be cause of the TuV approval in Germany so yes it might be welded to stop you removing it as without it might not meet some strict reg