Heavier Bar End Grip Weights

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
cdnrtowner

Heavier Bar End Grip Weights

Post by cdnrtowner »

Does anyone know of heavier bar end weights? If so, where, who sells them in North America? Cheers Pat
ds99

Re: Heavier Bar End Grip Weights

Post by ds99 »

i got mine from these people - "manicsalamander"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/manicsalamander/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

they are in the USA

Last edited by ds99 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Littlebriar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Littlebriar »

Just installed these yesterday.
http://www.hvmp.com/BMW-p/bmw-bar-ends.htm
Steve
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

On the same topic - been thinking about fitting some heavier end weights to my LC RT as it can be a little buzzy at cruising speeds for a long run. Can anyone recommend a UK product and supplier?
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
ds99

Post by ds99 »

i could not find a UK supplier. mine cost a total of £160 from the USA (this includes the import taxes)
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Littlebriar wrote: Just installed these yesterday.
https://www.hvmp.com/BMW-p/bmw-bar-ends.htm
What do you think so far, do they really make that much of a difference?  Also curious what size you bought, they seem to range from 14.4 to 17 oz.
BMW MOA #210438
amsrk144

Post by amsrk144 »

I installed the bar ends from hvmp as well.  http://www.hvmp.com/  I'm very happy with them.
timminator

Post by timminator »

amsrk144 wrote: I installed the bar ends from hvmp as well.  https://www.hvmp.com/  I'm very happy with them.
Thanks gents, just ordered a set.  You can enter coupon code HVMP10 when ordering to get a 10% discount.
BMW MOA #210438
pwbike

Post by pwbike »

If this was such a panacea for vibration, why don't BMW fit them from the factory?
Is there some trade-off for reducing the vibration that people complain of in a particular rev range, with a new or different problem?
Peter
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

pwbike wrote: If this was such a panacea for vibration, why don't BMW fit them from the factory?
Is there some trade-off for reducing the vibration that people complain of in a particular rev range, with a new or different problem?

Not everyone seems to experience this vibration. I did early on, fitted grip puppies which helped, was only the right hand that went numb. But at some point between 5k and 11k the vibration went away and I no longer have any issues.
pwbike

Post by pwbike »

It's an interesting phenomenon, I think I may be lucky and haven't had a bike where the vibration was objectionable or caused hand numbness.
2 x V-twin, 1 x I-4 and now a Boxer twin.
Peter
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Aside from the variation bike to bike, won't whether or not we feel vibration depends as much on the rider as the bike? Everything we add (including ourselves) to a bike will either amplify or damp vibration at certain frequencies won't it? Just not convinced there is a one-size-fits-all answer to this, more trial and error perhaps. FWIW I don't really notice vibration as an issue on my '16 LC being ridden anything up to 500 miles in a day. The seat though.... that's an entirely different issue. Can't get on with the standard seat. Perhaps a Sargent next..... Again, no universal solution here as we are all different.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Sprintgull wrote: Aside from the variation bike to bike, won't whether or not we feel vibration depends as much on the rider as the bike? Everything we add (including ourselves) to a bike will either amplify or damp vibration at certain frequencies won't it? Just not convinced there is a one-size-fits-all answer to this, more trial and error perhaps. FWIW I don't really notice vibration as an issue on my '16 LC being ridden anything up to 500 miles in a day. The seat though.... that's an entirely different issue. Can't get on with the standard seat. Perhaps a Sargent next..... Again, no universal solution here as we are all different.
Never had a vibration problem with either of the  2 LC' s.... just a tingle at some part of the rev range.
Really happy with the Sargent seats that I put on... a lot more support. Well made if a tad pricey!
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
timminator

Post by timminator »

Sprintgull wrote: Aside from the variation bike to bike, won't whether or not we feel vibration depends as much on the rider as the bike? Everything we add (including ourselves) to a bike will either amplify or damp vibration at certain frequencies won't it? Just not convinced there is a one-size-fits-all answer to this, more trial and error perhaps. FWIW I don't really notice vibration as an issue on my '16 LC being ridden anything up to 500 miles in a day. The seat though.... that's an entirely different issue. Can't get on with the standard seat. Perhaps a Sargent next..... Again, no universal solution here as we are all different.
I will report back once I use them for a bit.  I am attending a BMW rally next weekend, and will be riding about 1200 miles round trip, will be a good chance to break them in.
BMW MOA #210438
Tones

Post by Tones »

Amongst quite a few bikes I've ridden, I once had a Honda Deauville. Nice little bike but very buzzy. One thing on the riders forum about numb hands on long rides was to fill the handlebars with 'lead shot'. It was claimed it worked better than bar ends as it absorbed the vibes and certain bar ends can increase the vibration. However, I'm a newbie, not picked up my RT yet, so don't know what goes on inside the bars, so sorry if this is just a bit rubbish advice!