Sena SM10 & Motochello Audio Bridge Install

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Rambler358
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Rambler358 »

Like others here I was not very happy with my 2017 RT's Bluetooth setup, so after reading a lot of threads here and on the K1600 forum I decided to give this setup a go.

However, I wanted to easily be able to switch between the bike speakers and Bluetooth. All the installs I've seen of the Motochello Audio Bridge have the unit placed under the seat somewhere. I did not want to remove the seat whenever I wanted to switch between Bluetooth and speakers. So I started looking at places I could mount the Motochello unit and have easy access to it. So I decided to modify the left side Spring Strut Cover - that black triangular cover that pops right out. It's only a $22 part, so I didn't have any issue with modifying it.

I cut a rectangular hole in the cover with a Dremel tool, and then applied some 3M Dual Lock on the inside around the rectangle. I then placed the Motochello unit inside with the 3M dual lock holding it to the cover. It's not the cleanest job, but not bad I think, and most of all works as intended! I placed the SM10 at the rear of the bike, under the rear seat and just under the rear section cover.

Some pics...

The Motochello unit:

Spring Strut Cover modification:

Motochello mounted in cover:

SM10 location:

Motochello connector wiring with Posi-taps:Image

All together!
Millman

Re: Sena SM10 & Motochello Audio Bridge Install

Post by Millman »

HI. I just did mine today. The only thing I didn't do was run the USB. Where is that connecting to?  Did you wire a USB charger to the battery?  And do you know if the unit is water resistant ?  Thanks.
Millman
Rambler358

Post by Rambler358 »

USB power is tapped into the trunk connection wiring, see the 4th picture. Don't know if it's water resistant or not, but its location should protect it enough I think.
blastfurnace

Re: Sena SM10 & Motochello Audio Bridge Install

Post by blastfurnace »

I am really curious about doing this myself for my 2013 R1200RT but I'm not entire sure of the end result.

Essentially, this takes any speaker output and funnels it to your headset via a bluetooth connection which eliminates the issues with distortion across the radio and xm sources and allows for wonder wheel functionality.

With this system you can pair your GPS and iPhone through the Sena module which is, in turn paired with your headset?  This allows FM, XM, USB, iPhone music (not phone) and GPS integration?  Or do you use a cable to connect the phone to the bike and then use the bike's bluetooth to connect to the sena module.

Sorry for all the questions...just trying to figure this out before I invest money in a Nav V, iPhone cable and speaker bridge.