Engine through bolt socket size?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Topphoto1

Engine through bolt socket size?

Post by Topphoto1 »

Hi Guys and Gals, help! :grave:

I have purchased some engine crash bars for the RT, '05, and I am struggling to get the through engine bolt off, a 19mm & 3/4" feels sloppy! I am wondering if the Bolt is a special, like 18mm, if anyone can help ASAP before I go an waist money on random sockets it would be much appreciated.
Smile you ride a BMW.
Topphoto1

Re: Engine through bolt socket size?

Post by Topphoto1 »

Yep it's an 18mm socket Hex Head, so next question! Has anyone fitted Heed Crash Bars! Now having trouble fitting mounts on the underside of the engine, m8 X 20 long bolts supplied. Looks like they might need spacers!!! 😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩, anyone had experience of these fittings? Cheers

Smile you ride a BMW.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Whats a "Through Engine Bolt"
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Our Gee wrote: Whats a "Through Engine Bolt"

I can only comment on the Wunderlich front crash bars I fitted to my old 06 RT. There is a mount point going through the bottom of the engine which a long bolt ('through the engine bolt') passes through.
BBT600

Post by BBT600 »

my problem wasn't the bolt size but the length of extensions needed to get at em! So I bought the extensions, then I found
it was trickier than I thought and I was short on time and impatient as ever. So I took it into the nearest dealer who charged me £160 and they left the OEM covers in place!! I thought common sense would've  told them to remove them or at least ask the question! So I now have double protection just in case the Heed bars wear through.
Zapata

Post by Zapata »

Hello Team:

I just got the Heed bars from Poland and I am having trouble loosing the "through engine bolt". According to the instructions it will help if the front suspension is compressed. How this will help? What's the function of that long bolt?
- 2012 R1200RT (0440),  2011 HD Softail Fatboy and  2006 HD V-ROD VRSCR Streetrod.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Zapata wrote:According to the instructions it will help if the front suspension is compressed. How this will help?
May have something to do with the front suspension being bolted to the engine. Might prevent any misalignment of the holes when the bolts are removed.

If there is any doubt, seek further advice.
Last edited by David. on Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zapata

Post by Zapata »

This's from the Wunderlich Instructions for their crashing bars. But you can see the bolt here circled in red.

Thank you.
- 2012 R1200RT (0440),  2011 HD Softail Fatboy and  2006 HD V-ROD VRSCR Streetrod.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If the suspension is not compressed, perhaps the bolt head is slightly masked by the telelever wishbone, making access awkward.

Bearing in mind that the photo is of a Hexhead, not a Camhead.
Last edited by David. on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.