Prospective '12 RT owner

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
panaray

Re: Prospective '12 RT owner

Post by panaray »

Just tried out a '11 LOW. Not a lot of difference vs standard chassis with low seats, IMO. '14 with low seats felt good. Both on my tippy toes. (But that's typical for me)
One concern, though. The '11 hesitated under hard throttle. Warning ⚠️ sign comes up and turns the heated grips on. (The dealer said it was a loose battery cable--disconnected / reconnected under hard acceleration)
Anyone experience this and what do you think of the diagnosis?
Last edited by panaray on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Wow there's some statements made here that are new.  Riddled with issues, you must be joking.  The LCs have had in its complete lifetime one recall.  I lost count how many on previous models.  All BMWs suffer corrosion but the LC  probably less than most.  It's also true that those who have suffered corrosion seen to resuffer the same thing again and again.  Makes you wonder.  As for height.  The factory lowered earlier models reduced the seat to 760mm.  For that privilege you loose ESA  and heated seats but gain the ability to easily wear out the hero blobs.  The LC with a lowered seat is the same height and the seat is narrower.  That is why there is no lowered version of it.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just tried out a '11 LOW. Not a lot of difference vs standard chassis with low seats, IMO. '14 with low seats felt good. Both on my tippy toes. (But that's typical for me)One concern, though. The '11 hesitated under hard throttle. Warning ⚠️ sign comes up and turns the heated grips on. (The dealer said it was a loose battery cable--disconnected / reconnected under hard acceleration)Anyone experience this and what do you think of the diagnosis?

Walk away.
panaray

Post by panaray »

RTman10 wrote: Just tried out a '11 LOW. Not a lot of difference vs standard chassis with low seats, IMO. '14 with low seats felt good. Both on my tippy toes. (But that's typical for me)One concern, though. The '11 hesitated under hard throttle. Warning ⚠️ sign comes up and turns the heated grips on. (The dealer said it was a loose battery cable--disconnected / reconnected under hard acceleration)Anyone experience this and what do you think of the diagnosis?

Walk away.

The dealer had a tech looked at it and got it fixed. A missing battery bracket which was moving under hard acceleration, I've been told. Tried it again with the fix and completely fine. The tech had apparently removed a battery bracket from another bike on the lot. Other than that, I'll be taking a close look at EVERYTHING with the bike with the panels off.
Now, the question for the knowledgeable RT folks is: can you replace it with a two piece seat assy (for heat)? The low sus comes with an one piece seat assy
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

No.  There's no wiring in the canbus for heated seats and the frame is slightly different.
And you still end up with no ESA and something that grounds on any spirited corner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
panaray

Post by panaray »

RTman10 wrote: No.  There's no wiring in the canbus for heated seats and the frame is slightly different.
And you still end up with no ESA and something that grounds on any spirited corner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What drags first during cornering once the feeler pegs are removed? (Can they be removed?). Considering my tendencies to use up the edges on my sport bikes, this could render lower suspension version infeasible.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

They can be but what comes next I wouldnt know.  At the end of the day it's a tourer not a sports bike.
panaray

Post by panaray »

RTman10 wrote: They can be but what comes next I wouldnt know.  At the end of the day it's a tourer not a sports bike.
🏍🏍🏍I agree🏍🏍🏍