Harley Sold, Gone, Now What??

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
RTtourer

Harley Sold, Gone, Now What??

Post by RTtourer »

I posted here last Fall considering a change from my HD Ultra Limited to a R1200RT. Since then, I was diagnosed with hearing loss with associated Tinnitus(posted on that too) which further led me to consider a  RT or Goldwing due to excellent(so I've read/heard) wind protection. Well, the HD was sold today(took a bit of a bath) and now it's decision time. Not sure if I should go new or used. I was reading a thread on this forum this am regarding a prospective RT buyer and there were some words conveying lots of issues with the new LC RT's. It's making me a little gun-shy. There are a  number of older(4-7 years), local RT's for sale not too far away that would probably work out ok. But, there are none that I can find that have all the "fixings" that I would want with an RT. Should I have any reservations about pulling the trigger on a new RT?
steve.sharkey

Re: Harley Sold, Gone, Now What??

Post by steve.sharkey »

I wouldn't have any qualms other than those with buying any thing new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

RTtourer wrote: I posted here last Fall considering a change from my HD Ultra Limited to a R1200RT. Since then, I was diagnosed with hearing loss with associated Tinnitus(posted on that too) which further led me to consider a  RT or Goldwing due to excellent(so I've read/heard) wind protection. Well, the HD was sold today(took a bit of a bath) and now it's decision time. Not sure if I should go new or used. I was reading a thread on this forum this am regarding a prospective RT buyer and there were some words conveying lots of issues with the new LC RT's. It's making me a little gun-shy. There are a  number of older(4-7 years),local RT's for sale not too far away that would probably work out ok. But, there are none that I can find that have all the "fixings" that I would want with an RT. Should I have any reservations about pulling the trigger on a new RT?

Sold my Road King with some reluctance and bought a new 2015 RT.  Now wish I had done it earlier. Absolutely love the RT. It is lighter, handles better, is faster and just generally a superior machine. Apart from a weeping water pump, no problems so far.
It has given my motorcycling 'career'  at age 73, a new lease of life.Bite the bullet and buy new if you can.  You will not regret it.
bushbikie

Post by bushbikie »

Had my MY16 RT for just on 18 months. Currently has 52000 Kms OTC. Only problems I've had were a weeping water pump seal (fixed itself up) and had both front fork seals replaced under warranty. There was a "technical service fix" (not a safety recall) done on my clutch slave cylinder (again, done under warranty) as apparently there was a predisposition for a batch of these to potentially leak. BMW replaced these as the bikes with the affected batch were brought in for their scheduled servicing. I never saw an indication that my clutch slave cylinder leaked.

I have been EXTREMELY happy with the RT. Lot's of issues? Not a great deal as far as I have seen/heard!

Do your own research and see what you turn up!

2016 San Marino Blue
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have been EXTREMELY happy with the RT. Lot's of issues? Not a great deal as far as I have seen/heard!

Quite right.  BMW are very good at fixing things that might go wrong if they identify any issues in supplied parts.  This could give the impression of many faults.  Most manufacturers would just let things fail snd them maybe fix them.
RTtourer

Post by RTtourer »

Took a 3rd(more extensive) test ride today on a 17' RT. Just love it! Windshield all the way up is quiet. My dB meter read low-mid 90's at 80 MPH, so with ear plugs/Schuberth C3 Pro, my hearing loss/tinnitus (hopefully) won't get worse. I pulled the trigger, should have it sometime next week. Getting the Alpine White with Premium package, Keyless Ride, Gear Shift Assist Pro, Anti-theft, Central Locking, Navigation, 49L top case. Can't wait! The Eastern Seaboard(USA) trip that I cancelled(ear issues related) will likely take place mid-September. I cannot convey, just how stoked I am!!
davidr8
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Canada

Post by davidr8 »

Wow! Congrats on your new ride :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

RTtourer wrote: Took a 3rd(more extensive) test ride today on a 17' RT. Just love it! Windshield all the way up is quiet. My dB meter read low-mid 90's at 80 MPH, so with ear plugs/Schuberth C3 Pro, my hearing loss/tinnitus (hopefully) won't get worse. I pulled the trigger, should have it sometime next week. Getting the Alpine White with Premium package, Keyless Ride, Gear Shift Assist Pro, Anti-theft, Central Locking, Navigation, 49L top case. Can't wait! The Eastern Seaboard(USA) trip that I cancelled(ear issues related) will likely take place mid-September. I cannot convey, just how stoked I am!!
From a former HD guy - You'll love it.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Also a former Harley guy, my previous bike was a CVO Road King, which was good. Bought a 2014 RT over a year ago love it. Winscreen wise, I fitted a Werks Quiet screen, it is miles better than the standard screen, and a lot quieter, just set to one position for all speeds. Quite expensive now, with the £ against the dollar though.
Eddiex
Great Britain

Post by Eddiex »

Casbar wrote: Also a former Harley guy, my previous bike was a CVO Road King, which was good. Bought a 2014 RT over a year ago love it. Winscreen wise, I fitted a Werks Quiet screen, it is miles better than the standard screen, and a lot quieter, just set to one position for all speeds. Quite expensive now, with the £ against the dollar though.

I too have recently done the Harley (Heritage Softail) to a 2014 RT LC. I miss the HD 'character" but the RT actually rides like a motorcycle!! I really like it!

The only thing is the screen thing - How tall are you and which height screen did you purchase from Werks?

Thanks
rglassma

Post by rglassma »

I have owned an '05 RT  since '08.  Have put 61,000 miles on it and absolutely love it.  I am afraid to ride a newer LC RT.  I am afraid that I would want one.  I have ridden your old bike and the road kings, softtails, hard tails, etc.  There is absolutely no comparison between those and the RT.  I am jealous ..  But, don't have the green.  Enjoy your new bike.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Eddiex wrote:
I too have recently done the Harley (Heritage Softail) to a 2014 RT LC. I miss the HD 'character" but the RT actually rides like a motorcycle!! I really like it!

The only thing is the screen thing - How tall are you and which height screen did you purchase from Werks?

Thanks

I am 5ft 8, so bought the standard 24 inch screen. Real Shelby who sometimes posts on here, is Mr Werks, very helpful guy
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Casbar wrote:
I am 5ft 8, so bought the standard 24 inch screen. Real Shelby who sometimes posts on here, is Mr Werks, very helpful guy

I had a Road King until 2015 when I bought my RT. No regrets about the change. I have a 24 inch Werks screen. It is plenty big enough for me at 6.1.
WillPhelps52

Post by WillPhelps52 »

I have been riding Harley motorcycles since 1968.  Last 3 were the Heritage model.

Just took a 1450 mile trip on my new 2017 R1200RT.  Love it.  I love getting into the curved roads here in NC without dragging my floor boards anymore.  The RT just handles so light and nimble.  I'm short so had to go with the short seat (and cheater shoes) in order to reach the ground, but it's well worth it.  I still have a panhead chopper, but the RT is my go to bike for just riding.

My 2 cents.
RTtourer

Post by RTtourer »

I've had the bike on the road for the past 4 days and the RT is a great motorcycle! Rides/handles like a charm! From the waist-up, very, very comfortable. After a 200+ mile ride, my rear-end hurt so badly, I couldn't wait to get off the bike. Going with a Russell Day Long seat, but they're booked out until late Sept. Although I absolutely LOVE this bike, but there are some minor negatives, compared it to my previous HD touring bike- I can live with these and the comparison is apples to oranges anyway. But, this RT will allow me to continue to do some distance riding while providing excellent wind protection. In addition to the stock seat seat change, I'm adding Ilium Works front/rear crash bars, I'm going to try the Werks and Aeroflow windscreens. I need to find some mounting system for my iphone 7+ as it does not fit inside the provided storage compartment. I was also told by the BMW dealership that the $88 ipod(iphone) adapter cable does not charge the phone, so I bought a 12 volt USB adapter for the iphone, but I need a mounting strategy- anyone have their phone mounted to their RT? Here's a few pictures of my new bike(top case currently being painted white to match the bike):