New 2018 RT what would you like to see ??

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
elephant8869

Re: New 2018 RT what would you like to see ??

Post by elephant8869 »

Casbar wrote: But its not just BMW, Honda are having issues with their frames. My 26k Harley had paint fall off after a year. Triumph are having issues, it must be something to do with the paint they are now using. As stated earlier, they don't all rust, my 2014 RT is fine at the moment. Difference is, BMW do replace bits, try that with any other manufacturer - but that doesn't excuse the issue.
I think you're right. EU legislation has banned or restricted the use of VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and most paints are now water based. In a building context current paint products are significantly less durable than older and historic paint types. It's probably the same in the automotive industry. I also agree that BMW never seem to quibble and just replace parts. Just a shame that a bike you become attached to and look after quickly corrodes :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Duggie

Post by Duggie »

A decent gearbox....not Too much to ask
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Duggie wrote: A decent gearbox....not Too much to ask

Isn't the 17 RT supposed to have a decent gearbox, with no 1st clunk, or is it still not as smooth as a Harley one  :whistle:
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Casbar wrote:
Isn't the 17 RT supposed to have a decent gearbox, with no 1st clunk, or is it still not as smooth as a Harley one  :whistle:

My 2017MY R1200RT doesn't clunk into first when cold, but does once warmed up. The gear shift assist pro works pretty well though ....
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Glencoe
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT SE
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

What would I change on the bike? [/size]
The screen could be a bit larger. [/size]
The front mudguard could be a bit longer. [/size]
Adjustable handlebars.
On the left bar the rotating wheel would be better on the other side of the light switch cluster, allowing easier access to main beam, indicator and horn switch.[/size]
The mirrors should not be so low. [/size]The mirrors could easily be mounted higher somewhere above the indicators, or in place of and incorporating the indicators. [/size]
Storage space be could be improved within the rear light cluster to accommodate something like a puncture repair or first aid kit when running without panniers and topbox. [/size]
Otherwise one wonderful piece of machinery that looks good, handles well and does what it says on the tin. [/size]

[/size]

[/size]
Just don't ask me to get up and dance..
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pkpilot »

Glencoe wrote:
On the left bar the rotating wheel would be better on the other side of the light switch cluster, allowing easier access to main beam, indicator and horn switch.[/size]
[/size]
I have to respectfully disagree with one of your points.  The wonder wheel is narrow and it is not hard to access the switch cluster.  The reverse is not true.  This is probably a matter of personal preference depending on how much you use the wonder wheel.

Just my 2 cents...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

pkpilot wrote: I have to respectfully disagree with one of your points.  The wonder wheel is narrow and it is not hard to access the switch cluster.  The reverse is not true.  This is probably a matter of personal preference depending on how much you use the wonder wheel.....

I did find the left switchgear a little awkward at first, but everything now "falls readily to hand", so I wouldn't want it changed.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I'm also one for moving the wonder wheel - or doing something different with it. I don't think I have particularly small hands but I can't indicate left without taking my hand off the grip so I can reach the switch to pull it over :(

A lower first gear would also be good - I spend a lot of my time in traffic at low speeds and I don't have much hope for the longevity of my clutch as a result.

Locking SatNav of course (not doing that is just lazy on the part of BMW).

More storage space on the bike - I miss the space under the seat on my GS.

I have not had any corrosion so far (6 months and 6k miles in) but mine is the new black engine and frame which - so people claim - is supposed to be an improvement in this area. Only time will tell. On the cause, I agree that it has to be the new EU regulations on paint. The fact that BMW (and other manufacturers) don't seem to be able to fix it, despite knowing about it as a regular issue, suggests that it is something outside of their direct control.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I don't consider myself to have large hands, but have no issues with indicating or using the wonder wheel. Just goes to prove you can't please everyone, maybe BMW owners are a very particular breed  8)  My only complaint when I first bought the bike was the switchgear wasn't lighted, even Harley had lighted switchgear, but like everything now used to where everything is.
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pkpilot »

Paggers wrote:
A lower first gear would also be good - I spend a lot of my time in traffic at low speeds and I don't have much hope for the longevity of my clutch as a result.

You have a wet clutch, which withstands that kind of abuse very well.  The experience on our police bikes is so much better with the water cooled (which means wet clutch) bikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
amsrk144

Post by amsrk144 »

A better solution for the plastic tabs on the front panels which frequently snap off, and a replacement for the rubber grommet which holds the side panel in place-sometimes!  Both are cheap inferior solutions which should have never been considered in the first place.  C'mon BMW!
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

amsrk144 wrote: A better solution for the plastic tabs on the front panels which frequently snap off, and a replacement for the rubber grommet which holds the side panel in place-sometimes! Both are cheap inferior solutions which should have never been considered in the first place. C'mon BMW!
Glad to see I'm not the only person who had problems with the rubber grommet that holds the r/h side panel in place. After the first time I took the panel off it would never seat properly and was constantly popping out and rattling. Took another RT owner to give me the (obvious with hindsight) advice to put a bit of grease on the grommet which has since solved the problem.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Taz

Post by Taz »

As with the rubber grommets, should part of the fairing really be held in place with Velcro? Mine comes loose quite often so I am exploring an alternative.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
elephant8869

Post by elephant8869 »

A new full colour TFT connected dashboard like the one just announced on the 2018 GS/GSA would be nice, but I would like to keep an analogue speedo though.  ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I imagine that if the GS has one then the RT will follow suit. Having said that, it took until 2017 for the RT to catch up with the 2013 GS so I won't hold my breath  :be happy: