New 2018 RT what would you like to see ??

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: New 2018 RT what would you like to see ??

Post by Casbar »

gogs01 wrote: I'd be very surprised if there are any significant upgrades for 2018, which is fine by me because I've put over 7000 miles on my 2017 model and I'm very happy with it. However, if we're nit-picking .....
A second cubby-hole, currently only available if a radio is specified, would be nice
I would swap over the one dipped beam and two main beams.
A louder horn would be nice !
I'm guessing what we'll see is a new colour scheme - and a price increase !! >:(

2nd cubby hole can be retro fitted. You can also fit a BME E39 5 series low tone horn, its a direct replacement and is a lot louder, well its a direct replacement on my 2014 bike, not sure if 2017 was any different.
Sleafordblade
Bike Model and Year: R1250rt 2020
Has liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by Sleafordblade »

Brighter lights and easier to change bulbs.

A return to the old indicator system.

Height adjustable foot pegs and bars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

Ok, you asked:-
- Adaptive LED headlights (like the K1600).
- Lockable satnav.
- Ability to have digital speedo when using the audio system.
- A separate switch for the heated grips.
- Permanent display of the temperature and tyre pressures.
- Louder horn.
- A decent universal Bluetooth system.
- Better Bluetooth (Bike to Helmet, via the official BMW Helmet System).
- Reverse.
- Top loading panniers.
- City lids.
- Option of front and rear dashcams.
- More space under the seat.
- Taller screen (well I am 6'4"!).
- Option of Engine bars.
- Slightly thicker grips.
- Adjustable foot pegs.
- Adjustable handlebars.
- Option to have dynamic (flashing) brake lights.
- Rear fog light.
- USB socket as standard in one of the cubbies.
- Top box light that goes off after 90 seconds or has an off switch (so I can leave it open all night in the garage!).
- A return to the old indicator system (but with one push for on and a second push for off).
- Taller 6th gear, cruising at higher speeds.
- Lower prices notwithstanding the exchange rate of the £!
- Oh, oh and less weight.
:)
Last edited by TJRL on Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

You need a Harley  8)
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Casbar wrote: You need a Harley  8)

Everything aspires to be a Harley Davidson  ;)  The HD self cancelling indicators working on a pendulum as well as distance would be a good feature BMW could add.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
ca1ic0cat

Post by ca1ic0cat »

switched power tap for farkles
kickstand in better location
user setup adjustments for ESA
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

USB power socket in top box, if you set it to auto set the alarm allow it to lock the cases too. I have the powered cubby hole (2014 recall someone paid for the radio!) only just fits an iPhone se they don't seem to have realised phones have grown! Other than that... massaging seat for longer journeys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

All the suggestions so far are great but for me the biggest thing I would like to see would be a bike that doesn't RUST ! Corrosion is the weakest part of BMW ownership if you ride all year round. We don't except it with our cars so why should we for our bikes.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

They don't all rust, it would be interesting to see how many don't rust. My 2014 hasn't a spot of rust on it, and its ridden all year around, well has been for the last year.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Casbar wrote: They don't all rust, it would be interesting to see how many don't rust. My 2014 hasn't a spot of rust on it, and its ridden all year around, well has been for the last year.

Likewise mine is rust free and ridden all year BUT to keep it that way in Winter it gets washed after every wet ride. It gets pampered. I might add its not just BMW which has this problem. I saw last year a Triumph Thruxton at a local dealership which had been ridden during the Winter with zero cleaning. The bike was 6 months old and it was a rust bucket. I have never seen so much corrosion on such a young bike. In fact I was surprised that the dealer had it on the forecourt. Not a good advertisement.
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

Mine is washed after every wet ride but the rust came from under the coating. Rust built in. I used so much acf didn't stop it

Glencoe
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT SE
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

What would I change on the bike?
The screen could be a bit larger.
The front mudguard could do with being a bit longer to protect the front engine cover.
On the left hand bar the rotating wheel control should be on the other side of the light switch cluster, to allow fingers to be much closer to the more needed indicator, the horn switch and mainbeam switch, for when we are in busy traffic situations. At the moment the hand has to hover above the light switch cluster and off the left grip, all for the sake of the less used rotating wheel control.
The mirrors should not be so low. As all to be seen in them is the bar ends and levers, and the top of the panniers. The mirrors could easily be mounted higher somewhere above the indicators, or in place of and incorporating the indicators.Storage space be could be improved a little with moving some wires and unit/relay within the rear light cluster to accommodate something like a puncture repair or first aid kit when running without panniers and topbox.
Otherwise one wonderful piece of machinery that looks good, handles well and does what it says on the tin.

Just don't ask me to get up and dance..
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

steve.sharkey wrote: Mine is washed after every wet ride but the rust came from under the coating. Rust built in. I used so much acf didn't stop it

I've heard it said it's not so much rust as a chemical reaction between the alloy used and the coating which ends up in blisters  forming.  BMW know this and that's why parts are normally readily replaced.  But as we know some are effected and some not.
elephant8869

Post by elephant8869 »

Levisp wrote: All the suggestions so far are great but for me the biggest thing I would like to see would be a bike that doesn't RUST ! Corrosion is the weakest part of BMW ownership if you ride all year round. We don't except it with our cars so why should we for our bikes.
Couldn't agree more.  I've had two GSAs, both with corrosion issues on the frame which meant the frames were replaced and now my 1 year old 7k RT has paint failing on the engine and drive shaft! I clean my bike every week and use ACF for 8 months of the year. Amazing BMW haven't resolved this. It must cost a huge amount on warrantee claims

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

But its not just BMW, Honda are having issues with their frames. My 26k Harley had paint fall off after a year. Triumph are having issues, it must be something to do with the paint they are now using. As stated earlier, they don't all rust, my 2014 RT is fine at the moment. Difference is, BMW do replace bits, try that with any other manufacturer - but that doesn't excuse the issue.