Insurance

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
mhr43

Insurance

Post by mhr43 »

Need to renew my insurance shortly.  Most premiums are in a similar range for the same type of cover. Whilst there are many reviews on line about customer service, they seem to relate mainly to the ease of purchasing a policy.  This is clearly important, but I wonder if forum members have any views on how individual insurers perform when it comes to handling claims?
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: Insurance

Post by Steve F »

I can speak highly of LV re claim admin efficiency, and with minimal delays throughout the process. My claim a few years ago was a no fault against a third party motorist who drove across my path, all at low sped fortunately! A loan bike was provided throughout while my BMW K13GT was repaired at my local dealer (and not at that of the insuer's choosing!).
pugwash

Post by pugwash »

>:(  whatever you do not insure with BMW themselves. I have just been and cancelled mine, changing bike, and after being kept waiting over 15 mins to get our through very polite young lady (can't blame her for this) says, "no problem sir that will be £55 plus your insurers fee a total of £88 please"

fckin ell !!! £55 quid for what, going on the computer typing in my details and then pressing a button to cancel !!!  >:D

I expect the usual "there is a cancellation fee for the insurer" but jeez everything you do that has BMW or Motorrad name in means £££ or $$$

So whatever you do don't insure direct with BMW !!!
Remember, you are unique - just like everyone else
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Strange.  Cancelled mine in early June that was due to expire on 30th Aug.  Nothing back but a cancellation fee of £10.00.  They sent me a NCB 
certificate for  my new insurers within 10 minutes.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

insurance seem to have go up a lot lately (due to increased bike thefts?), the best quote i got for a 2007 RT and an old transalp, was £330 - TPFT, with Bennets
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

It's getting ludicrous. Trying to get quotes for my son, who is sitting his CBT tomorrow, on a YBR125. Even for just third party it's almost £700. For fully comp they want around £4k - even for a bike worth £1,500.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Just renewed my insurance with Carole Nash, I've got a Six Wheel Policy covering a car & two bikes comprehensively for £420, inc. UK & European breakdown cover.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

David. wrote: Just renewed my insurance with Carole Nash, I've got a Six Wheel Policy covering a car & two bikes comprehensively for £420, inc. UK & European breakdown cover.

That's eight wheels.  Do you think they would do it for seven.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

David. wrote: Just renewed my insurance with Carole Nash, I've got a Six Wheel Policy covering a car & two bikes comprehensively for £420, inc. UK & European breakdown cover.
Is that on a single policy with a single NCB, etc? Every time I have spoken to a company about 'multi car' or 'car and bike' policies it always seems to turn out as different policies with a discount for having them with the same company.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Paggers wrote:Is that on a single policy with a single NCB, etc?
As far as I understand, it's a single policy for all vehicles, the details are shown for the car & bikes with different NCB's for each.

Whilst some insurers offer multi-bike insurance, I'm not aware of any insurers other than Carole Nash who offer car plus bike policies.
Last edited by David. on Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

If it's a separate NCB for each then whether they call it a single policy or separate policies doesn't really matter, they are treating each vehicle as separate. It's only for motorcycles that I have ever had a true multi-vehicle policy, this was many years ago with eBike (in it's previous incarnation, not the current one) where you could have a single policy, earning a single NCB, and covering multiple bikes.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Paggers wrote:If it's a separate NCB for each then whether they call it a single policy or separate policies doesn't really matter, they are treating each vehicle as separate.
Seems to be the case, https://www.carolenash.com/pdfs/wp-cont ... c-2013.pdf

NO CLAIM DISCOUNT

If you do not make a claim, we will allow you a no claim discount on each individual car or motorcycle.
Gman1969

Post by Gman1969 »

Mine is 300 from Hastings I'm 47 with full NCB
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I'm with Adelaide via the IAM.  Think mine is in the two hundreds somewhere.  They seem pretty good, although touch wood, I've not needed to claim.  They also promise a six wheel policy but so far have failed to quote me for it!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sprintgull wrote:I'm with Adelaide via the IAM. They also promise a six wheel policy but so far have failed to quote me for it!
One reason I maintain my IAM membership is for potential discounted insurance through IAM Surety (formerly Adelaide). Over recent years, they have just not been competitive for me, hence switching to Carole Nash. Did speak to IAM Surety before renewing, they don't offer a six wheel policy & wanted over £600 for two separate policies for the car & bikes.