The dangers of parking an RT

BMW R1200RT/R1250RT Photo's & Videos that you may find interesting to the community
Paggers

The dangers of parking an RT

Post by Paggers »

The link below is to one of my videos, this one of a Saturday ride to my local accessories outlet. About halfway through I stopped to strip off one of my layers as it was getting too warm. Unfortunately where I stopped the ground at the side wasn't quite level. You can probably imagine what happened next, but why imagine when you can watch it and have a good laugh at my expense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bJWU_JHsEc
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Re: The dangers of parking an RT

Post by Sullivj »

Unlucky. Thanks for sharing.

I didn't expect it to go over on the RHS... I'm sure you didn't either!
scunny1

Post by scunny1 »

Unlucky Paggers, I would have bet it would have fallen to the left also, as never had a bike fall to the right in 40 years motorcycling. :( 
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Audio is brilliant, what setup do you have? Sorry about the drop, but shit happens, hope there wasn't any damage
Taz

Post by Taz »

Paggers, I think you and I are not too far from each other as I use some of those roads as well. Unlucky on the drop but I've had it happen to me with a previous bike.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Total bummer
My local dealer here in Long Beach California, has a very uneven parking lot
More than one bike and had the misfortune of tipping right
I've come close more than once in different locations, feel your pain
Jim
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Easy mistake to make, I posted of video of my drop earlier this year.  Good to know it can go down without the panniers on, and not completely ruin the exhaust. I always ride with them on for this very reason.
BMW MOA #210438
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Thanks for the kind words folks.

I knew the bike was a bit upright when I parked it - you can see me getting off it carefully. I just hadn't considered the fact that once I got off, and the suspension lifted, it would change the centre of gravity of the bike. It was a slow fall, and I managed to help it down by grabbing the topbox (with hindsight, probably not my smartest move as I could have damaged the mount) but all the same it still marked the plastic on the cylinder head guard. But no other damage which is great.

Casbar - I use a Drift Ghost S HD camera with their external mic. The mic is fitted into the cheek padding on my Shoei Neotec helmet. I do have to tidy the audio up a little in post-processing, and getting the mic position right has taken a while (compare with my previous video from the ride-out; the audio was quite muffled on that one). I also have a GoPro Hero 5 Session which fits onto a mount on the left-hand wing mirror housing (you should be able to see the mounting plate in the video). I sometimes use that for a second view back towards the rider but it wasn't on the bike this time - it has very limited battery life compared with the Drift.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

scunny1 wrote: Unlucky Paggers, I would have bet it would have fallen to the left also, as never had a bike fall to the right in 40 years motorcycling. :(

Same here!  The worst scenario is when it falls on the left with the bike in neutral.  You do the comical circle dance before you realize the rear wheel is rolling free.  Once, unable to reach the shifter, I had to find a stout branch to stick in the spokes of the rear wheel to keep it from moving.
aphill24

Post by aphill24 »

Sorry to see you dropped the bike, I think it would be best to turn the bars to the left when using the side stand, far more stable that way,