2010 R1200RT, when started , goes to about 6k rpm, can find no reason.

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
[email protected]

2010 R1200RT, when started , goes to about 6k rpm, can find no reason.

Post by [email protected] »

2010 R1200RT, 32K on the odometer. Mine since new.  All maintenance done as scheduled. Started it two days ago after replacing the right hand side low beam (PITA), and suddenly it starts and immediately goes to about 6k rpm. Cables are not binding, and are returning to "home" when released etc.

I did 2000 miles last week, and do remember that when in McCall Idaho, at about 6000 feet, it made a funny "cough" when started cold, but ran fine all the way home, another 600 miles or so.

I cannot figure out what could be causing this issue. I have seen carburetor engines get a high idle with a lean condition in the air /fuel system, but have not touched it on this machine.

Visual inspection shows all in order, no gaps, cracks, leaks apparent.

Ideas?

TIA
guest2360

Re: 2010 R1200RT, when started , goes to about 6k rpm, can find no reason.

Post by guest2360 »

As you are aware the cruise control box is very much in your way when replacing the right ride bulb.  I would start with looking at that.  If you can managed to set and unset it, or just switch it on and off.  You never know.  I have known other bikes do it and it's always been caused by cables.
[email protected]

I did look at that, as yes, I did move it for access, but did not disconnect it. I messed with the cruise on/ off swith, no change. Unfortunately, cannot ride it at this time due to this condition, so unsure if it is functioning properly.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I can't say what but I'm nearly sure why now.  I think your only option is to get the bike plugged and and see if it comes up with any fault codes. I wouldn't do anything else with the cruise control unit until then.
[email protected]

I thought exactly the same, she is at the dealer as I write this, lol.
mcwhirtj

Post by mcwhirtj »

[email protected] wrote: I thought exactly the same, she is at the dealer as I write this, lol.
Please post and let us know the outcome.  Faulty idle solenoid? (Wild guess, just to throw something out there).  Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk