Fitting headlamp bulbs

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Simon

Fitting headlamp bulbs

Post by Simon »

After a 2 day delay by Royal Mail, my Osram Night Breaker bulbs arrived this morning.

Full of optimism, I ventured forth into the garage with a cheery, "I'll only be 10 minutes, love".  Two hours later, having removed the screen and every panel on the front of the bike, the bulbs are fitted and working.

Anyone know the part number for the BMW needle nosed, double jointed, extra slim finger extensions that would make this job possible without dismantling the bike?
2010 R1200RT SE - The Silver Machine
Oldbrook

Re: Fitting headlamp bulbs

Post by Oldbrook »

Did mine without removing anything, a bit awkward but can be done.
2011 R1200RT Polar metalic
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Oldbrook wrote: Did mine without removing anything, a bit awkward but can be done.

Did our 2010 RTP easily, but it was easier to take off the right side fairing panel, but that was only 4 screws I think.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Oldbrook wrote: Did mine without removing anything, a bit awkward but can be done.
I agree - it's fiddly and might still take 2 hours the first time but, with practice, you'll get a little closer to the 10 minute estimate.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Simon

Post by Simon »

First time I'd stripped it down, so took my time to get a good look at how everything fits together.
Still, a bl**dy daft design if you can't get to the bulbs to replace them easily.  How do BMW expect you to do it at the roadside unless you've got hands the size of a toddler's?
2010 R1200RT SE - The Silver Machine
pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pwbike »

Simon wrote:How do BMW expect you to do it at the roadside unless you've got hands the size of a toddler's?
That's why the factory top box is so big, you keep a spare toddler in there along with the spare headlight globes.
Peter
sepossivel

Post by sepossivel »

Not good for folks with big hands ..  >:( >:( >:( >:(
SW - loving it  - ZXR6 - 1200 RT
austavla
Bike Model and Year: 2015 BMW R1200RT
Norway

Post by austavla »

Hi
I did replace the low headlight bulb today, for the first time.
It was easy to get the old one out, but i used a half an hour to get the new one in place.

Audun
It's about the Ride! For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary: for those who haven't, no explanation is possible.
LAF

Post by LAF »

On my 15, after a hour of trying and coming back with scraped up back of my hands and sore fingers, I took it to a dealer who charged me 47.00 bucks to put it in with my supplied bulb!

Absolutely the worst setup I have ever seen for retaining a headlight bulb.  I know how it works, had a picture of it looking at it, and still could not get the left leg into place.  I was afraid I would break that wire clip. 

So I got charged a 1/2 hour labor and was on my way a bit poorer but I had my low beam.

About the only two gripes I have is the headlight bulb replacement and the side opening cases instead of top opening.

Other than those two things I love my Wethead as I loved my LT.  Great mile eaters and just a joy to ride.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Simon wrote: After a 2 day delay by Royal Mail, my Osram Night Breaker bulbs arrived this morning.

Full of optimism, I ventured forth into the garage with a cheery, "I'll only be 10 minutes, love".  Two hours later, having removed the screen and every panel on the front of the bike, the bulbs are fitted and working.

Anyone know the part number for the BMW needle nosed, double jointed, extra slim finger extensions that would make this job possible without dismantling the bike?

I  replaced the bulbs in my previous RT with OSRAM Rallye on the probably fallacious assumption that they would be more rugged. Never had to change one.
John Bentall
robparky
Great Britain

Post by robparky »

beemerboy9 wrote:
I  replaced the bulbs in my previous RT with OSRAM Rallye on the probably fallacious assumption that they would be more rugged. Never had to change one.
Yep did my RTP left hand no problem. Right top fairing off as loads of ex police wiring in front of cover. Philips 130. Good light very bright. Easier than I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jswisc

Post by jswisc »

15,500 mi so right on cue, my 14 low beam went out. Not sure where, but somewhere I read a suggestion to use a narrow dowel 2 feet long to release those tangs. Worked like a charm. Using a light, I could see the whole setup looking under the handlebar. I slid the dowel in along the left side gas tank and under the handlebar. I was able to easily release the tangs. Used a piece of vinyl hose to press on the old bulb and it came right out. Used the reverse process to put the new bulb in. Only issue was the plug. I couldn't get it out with my hand and used a plier similar to a needle nose but with wider arms. Not sure if I could have released this tangs with my old fingers!
rangemaster728

Post by rangemaster728 »

jswisc wrote: 15,500 mi so right on cue, my 14 low beam went out. Not sure where, but somewhere I read a suggestion to use a narrow dowel 2 feet long to release those tangs. Worked like a charm. Using a light, I could see the whole setup looking under the handlebar. I slid the dowel in along the left side gas tank and under the handlebar. I was able to easily release the tangs. Used a piece of vinyl hose to press on the old bulb and it came right out. Used the reverse process to put the new bulb in. Only issue was the plug. I couldn't get it out with my hand and used a plier similar to a needle nose but with wider arms. Not sure if I could have released this tangs with my old fingers!

I have an 09RT...my second one in 5 years.
Easiest way I have found is to be in front of the bike and reach under the fairing for the center headlight...

Yup, you wind up with mangled hands...but sometimes I cheat and use my Harbor Freight inspection camera lol....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

pwbike wrote: That's why the factory top box is so big, you keep a spare toddler in there along with the spare headlight globes.

Hahahahahahahahahahahah!  Good one, mate.. Didn't half make me laugh.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Just out an Osram Nightbreaker in my '15. Just an hour or so, and two broken fingernails. No swearwords were used during the installation.