Fitting headlamp bulbs

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Old-Git

Re: Fitting headlamp bulbs

Post by Old-Git »

So anyone tried a LED bulb in the RT LC? I've just fitted a nighteye to one of my other bikes and the difference is stunning. Brightness is a given, but a quick night ride out proves that the beam throw is excellent as well. Now that may be due to the quality of the reflector? Any thoughts on the reflector in the RT?And for UK peoples - I've searched for the updated MOT regulations, they say that aftermarket HIDs are now not allowed - it doesn't mention LEDs as far as I can find - unless you know better?
Attachments
IMG_7029 (600 x 450).jpg
BBT600

Post by BBT600 »

Question for Rangemaster - I also have the 2009 R1200RT and the dip bulbs need replacing. Could you post me a link to where you got yours from please. Thank you.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Get Trump to do it with his tiny hands.  He's got to be good for SOMEthing!
davef1uk

Post by davef1uk »

I just replaced my bulbs. Toddler not needed, needed a bloody  mouse with inspector gadget tools.

Took me 25 mins the first one. It's all feel.  Can't see bugger all. 

Took me an hour with the other.  The 501s were far easier. 

Crazy , are the 2019 models better? Any changes since my 2010 one??
Motorbiking is a life, not a hobby.  Ride with Pride.  😜
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

Are the later bikes different in any way to my '06 one? I'm asking because I've had to change the r/h dipped beam bulb twice in the last couple of months, and each time took me no more than a few minutes......and I've got big hands!

Upper fairing panel off - 4 screws, 2 mins max. Bars pushed over to the left a bit to make some room, squat at the side of the bike - left hand in, unscrew the round cover - less than a minute. Left hand in again, pull the connector off. Looking in, I can clearly see the spring clip and how it comes off/goes on, so undo that, less than a minute. Bulb out....bulb in....etc etc etc. Compared to my K1200R-Sport, changing bulbs on the RT is a doddle!
Pete
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

They must be different because there is no R/H or L/H dipped beam - the centre light is the only one with dip.  The two outer lights are main beam only - accessible (so the manual says) by removing the speakers.  I haven't tried any bulb replacements yet, having broken the plastic lugs on my F800GT...….once bitten  :wonder:
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

Hors Piste wrote: They must be different because there is no R/H or L/H dipped beam - the centre light is the only one with dip.  The two outer lights are main beam only - accessible (so the manual says) by removing the speakers.  I haven't tried any bulb replacements yet, having broken the plastic lugs on my F800GT...….once bitten  :wonder:
I've just looked at the parts fiche. The headlight unit looks basically the same for late and early models, other than a height adjuster on some. Outer lights are for dipped beam, centre one is main beam....unless they're switched differently on later models, I have 2 outers on with the engine running (ie dipped), centre one comes on as well when I select main beam, so all 3 lit then. I wonder if there's just more stuff behind the upper fairing panels on later models, which might explain some folks' difficulties? There's an unused bracket behind the upper right panel on my bike, which does scrape the back of my hand when changing the r/h bulb - not a major issue, but I'm tempted to take the Dremel to it, or at least to try to bend it outof the way!
Pete
BBT600

Post by BBT600 »

Does anyone know if the headlights are fused, and if so where is the fuse box. MY 2009 R1200RT has both dip bulbs out. Ive bought the Osram replacements. Ive changed the left, yes quite a faff and definately a technique needed to fit it quickly. It is fitted correctly with the spring clips in place and the electric plug back in place, but it doesn`t come on with the ignition. Could anyone offer some advice please?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

BBT600 wrote:It is fitted correctly with the spring clips in place and the electric plug back in place, but it doesn't come on with the ignition. Could anyone offer some advice please?
What happens when the engine is running?
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

Well on the current 1250RT the two outer lights are main beam and use H1 bulbs, the centre one is dip and uses an H7 bulb.  Regarding fuses, I'd guess they've all been CAN bus protected for quite some time but can't say for sure about yours.
BBT600

Post by BBT600 »

Switching the engine on doesn`t make a diference. The full beam works ok, either full on or flashing.